Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Gone and done it

After many late nights, reading countless reviews, watching too many youtube videos, pouring over forums, and pixel peeping, etc., I decided to get one of the K-5ii from Amazon @ $639. So, like everyone else that just made a huge purchase, I have to post about it to make myself feel better.

I had considered getting a K-5 or k30 used, but that price was too good to pass up. I also considered the Fuji x-e1 and, while I very much liked the styling and feel of the body, the K-5ii seemed like a better deal and I thought it best to "stay in the family" so to speak. The wife prob wont be happy I just bought myself a expensive gift around valentines day. I just hope that this is not "too much camera" for me and that I will enjoy a noticable improvement from the K-20d. Hoping to be posting some wonderful photos of my 4 mo old soon.

02-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations!

You will enjoy it. Just pulling out the camera for me is like pulling out a 10mm Desert Eagle for me. You get used to stares.

Yes I confirm it is a great deal.

Cheers!
02-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will love it. Look at it this way, the same amount would have bought you way more flowers than you could use and a very likely a fatal dose of chocolates. Good call guy!
02-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good Choice!

Yes, you made a great decision, that's a camera that you can grow into, as simple or complicated as you care to go.
I think the entire K-5 series are fine modern DSLR's, it took a very innovative, highly-spec' d new release, the K-3, to succeed it.
So, now you're set for many years of shooting, be sure to post some!
Ron

02-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I disliked myself for picking up the II just before Christmas -- but I forgave myself soon after
Enjoy, it's a most impressive camera!
02-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made the same jump, sensor-wise (K-7 to K-5II), and haven't looked back. At (what was) half w price of a K-3, I considered it a good deal. You'll love it.
02-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations great camera....I upgraded to it from a K200D........just be careful with what you spend on lenses from here......you can get sucked along quite easy!

02-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Congratulations great camera....I upgraded to it from a K200D........just be careful with what you spend on lenses from here......you can get sucked along quite easy!
I made the exact same upgrade a few months back, very happy customer Got me back into taking pics, and buying lenses
02-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote

I satisfy my LBA by scooping up old manuals on e-bay. About the only lens I "need" is a good all purpose walk around lens for vacations...but I love my primes and my 16-45mm. But, suppose there are a new more "good" primes I would like......
02-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm considering the same thing, adding a k5IIs to my k5. As good as the k3 is I stay behind a couple model years because of price and I know there is always bigger and better on the horizon. A very smart lady on this forum told me think of the equipment as tools and as long as those tools are getting the job done stay with it. Then upgrade when you need better tools...you will enjoy your new "tool" immensely...

JJ
02-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Have fun with it, it's a great camera and don't forget to post lots of photos!
02-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I'm considering the same thing, adding a k5IIs to my k5. As good as the k3 is I stay behind a couple model years because of price and I know there is always bigger and better on the horizon. A very smart lady on this forum told me think of the equipment as tools and as long as those tools are getting the job done stay with it. Then upgrade when you need better tools...you will enjoy your new "tool" immensely...

JJ

Yeah, good advice. My two reasons for upgrading were: 1) I wanted to be able to take photos of my son in our house and the ISo and auto-focus on the k20d could not keep up. I was finding that with my outdoor shots, I was having to a lot of PP to bring out highlights/reduce highlights and that this did not result in the best image quality. I am really looking forward to the improved dymanic range, and low-light capabalities of the k-5ii
02-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just another lens/camera observation......... after you start adding new/better lenses to go with your new camera, you'll wonder how they would improve shots from your old k20/200 (different sensor type to k5)....... so lesson is don't sell your old camera!

I sold my k200 and regretted it!
02-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I made the same jump, sensor-wise (K-7 to K-5II), and haven't looked back. At (what was) half w price of a K-3, I considered it a good deal. You'll love it.
Ditto, except I got the IIs--Not sure I'll ever see the difference between the II and IIs. I already had an idea of the improvement I was going to achieve because I had bought a K-01 when they were being clearanced out. Same sensor as the K-5, and it was kicking my K-7's butt in low light. That old K-7 took some great daylight photos for me, though. It was my first DSLR, and I'll never regret it.
02-14-2014, 02:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I got my k5ii during the black Friday sale. It was a good buy, but it's way out of my league!