Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I run two bodies, mainly so I can keep multiple lenses ready to fire rather than have to swap a lens and miss a shot.

02-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

K5 for most purposes. *ist DS with a s-type screen for fast manual lenses, and the CCD look, plus TTL flash. Q7 for a tagalong camera, if I don't want to carry the K5. WG-3 for if I might go under water or snow.
02-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always take 2 bodies when I pack my camera bag for a shoot. Have done ever since I learned to concept of '2nd body' and had the wherewithal to afford it.

It started with a k-7 and K-x, which has over the years morphed into k-5/k-7 and now k-3/k-5. If i need to have a long/wide setup, I'm covered. if something goes wrong with the primary body, I'm covered. All these models except the K-x use the same batteries, so that's another bonus. As was pointed out above, taking two bodies means that neither will probably fail, taking only one is asking for trouble.

Case in point. Two weeks ago I was in Broken Hill which is an outback town probably as isolated an any place on the planet. Being an optimist, I packed most of my gear into two camera bags, and headed of into the heat and scrub for a week of work, thinking I would get a chance to shoot in the evenings - no such luck as it turned out. Just work, from sunup till dark, then pub, dinner, bed. Rinse and repeat. The one opportunity I had to get my camera out, we were off to visit a place called Silverton, which is an even smaller flyspeck on the map of the vast outback. As we were just going for a quick look around and a quenching ale, I grabbed only the K-3 and 16-50 and threw them in the car. Long story short, after driving a considerable distance we were at last at a place where I could take a few snaps of the boys having a beer, and the interesting things around Silverton and the pub there. Alas, the week of 45+deg heat had done something to BOTH batteries in the K-3 and after 6 or 8 shots it was totally dead. If only I had thrown the whole bag in the car with a 2nd body, charger, extra batts....Lesson learned.
02-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would have thought that since the body is an all weather body the battery would have been fine.

02-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I would have thought that since the body is an all weather body the battery would have been fine.
Yeah me too, but I have no idea how hot it got inside my black camera bag in a car in >45deg heat. I never thought of heat effecting battery life, like cold can.
02-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #36

I like to take 2 bodies wherever possible (K-5 and K-01) with a prime on one and a zoom on the other. My wife prefers to use the K-5 and a lightweight short zoom so it normally has the 18-55 kit lens. I'll then carry the K-01 with a prime - normally the 31 limited but sometimes a manual 50 or something else. If we are travelling in the car, there will be a something else in the bag too - normally the 55-300. We normally have a teleconverter in the bag too but it hardly ever gets used. If my wife isn't with me, I normally use the K-5 with whichever lens takes my fancy on the day, the K-01 is then the backup. I really, really want a 15 limited to go on one of these.
Ted
02-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Who uses a 2nd body?
Always at least two on any camera system, for me it's called built in redundancy as failure is not an option.

02-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
At first, two K-20's, then two K-5s, now two K5IIs's. One wide and one longer lens for events, portrait sessions and travel. Always the same model body ( K-5 & K5IIs doesn't count) so layout and batteries are same. Once I start shooting, I am not thinking about the camera so different control layouts are a deal breaker for me. Same with flashes. Everything in my bag is has a backup.
I, too, have always have the same bodies carried over from the film days(one for slides). Before I got the Tamron 70-200, switching primes was a hassle at the Zoo with one body. Now, not so much, but I will have another K-3 by Aug.

I don't what's going to happen when the K-1(?)in FF or APS-C comes out. Probably utilize two bags for extended excursions and one for quick outings.

Last edited by tabl10s; 02-18-2014 at 03:04 PM.
02-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #39

I use the K5 and K5II. In some situations changing lenses is not possible or takes too much time. Being in the middle of a desert is not good to change. Sometimes I am aprouching lizards or snakes and then it is nice I can go to a macro from the DA*300. Or having one for tele and the other for wide angle.
02-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Used to be K-5 + K-5 IIs.

Now K5IIs + K-3.

All getting too heavy for carry on hand luggage, even long haul. Actually starting to take the fun out of it.
02-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #41
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a k30 with a tamron 18-250 and a k30 with a sigma 135-400
02-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two K-5s always in the bag. For serious shooting, even nature, I usually carry both, to avoid lens swaps.

Vacation means just one body or none (a pocket camera instead).
02-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I carry the K5 as spare body only on long trips , Just incase, it's insurance when/If my K5IIs Fails so that I have a fallback plan.
02-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I have an IR converted m43 camera, which often comes along as a second camera. Once in a while, I'll bring another m43 cam as a second body to complement my DSLR. And on longer trips, I'll take a second body as a backup. But most often I'll only take on visible light camera. I don't like leaving gear in the car, so I'll rarely take more than I can comfortably carry, and that usually precludes a second DSLR body.
02-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5iis primary. k30 for its focus peakng with manual lenses.