Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

EXIF Info - Lenses

Why do some lenses have EXIF info and others do not? Is there a way to make my K5 identify these lenses?

02-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Which lenses do not show up? If they aren't auto focus lenses they won't show up in EXIF, if they are auto focus it is likely a limitation of the software you are using to view EXIF.
02-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens ids are handled/decoded by desktop software, while the camera just relay the info it is given by the lens. So it all depends on how recently your exif reader software has been updated.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If they aren't auto focus lenses they won't show up in EXIF
I'd say if they are older series than the A series lenses (1st generation with contacts on the mount).

02-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Short answer: Lens information is only present for auto-focus lenses.

Longer answer: Manual focus lenses lack an active data pin on the mount. This is a matter of specification and makes sense when you think about it. What's more, the transmitted lens code for may not be appropriate (overlap with Pentax lenses) or may not be recognized by software reading the code. There are several Sigma lenses (and others) that identify as something else depending on which tool is reading the code. For example, my Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro is read by Lightroom and Flickr as a "smc PENTAX-F MACRO 50mm F2.8".

If you want lens identification for manual focus lenses you can add it to the EXIF manually using software such as ExifTool. I use it for adding EXIF (Date, camera, and lens) for scanned film images.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.
02-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Y'all!!!

All my lenses are AF, the ones that don't show up are Sigma - and nothing at all is in the field for the lens.

How do I update the software? I'm using IrfanView right now? Is there a better viewer to see the relevant EXIF data with each image?
02-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Gemvision Quote
Thanks Y'all!!!

All my lenses are AF, the ones that don't show up are Sigma - and nothing at all is in the field for the lens.

How do I update the software? I'm using IrfanView right now? Is there a better viewer to see the relevant EXIF data with each image?
Some Sigma lenses transmit ambiguous lens ids, unfortunately. Exiftool is a utility that's updated almost every week and so it has the latest definitions. It's what we use here on the forum for attachment exif.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #8
Aux

Thanks Y'all!!!

You can try Adobe Lightroom. I rarely encounter EXIF problems there. Free trial is available from Adobe site, so if it won't suit you, just uninstall.
02-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Exiftool is a utility that's updated almost every week and so it has the latest definitions. It's what we use here on the forum for attachment exif.
Uh, thanks Adam? I just downloaded Exiftool 9.53 and, well, it's not particularly intuitive to me. I used to use MS-DOS with a command prompt and will occasionally run R or Python but really don't want to spend a bunch of hours learning to use Exiftool. I also downloaded the exiftoogui515 and it fails to see the exiftool whether it is running or not, but the gui seems useful if I could get it to work. I tried exiftool as directed, dragging and dropping a jpeg file onto the application window and only got a bunch of scrolling instructions with no exif data I could see.

Is there and simple, easy software that will allow me to see the exif data as I'm reviewing photos? Or is there a simple easy explaination of exiftool and how to use it with exif gui?
02-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Uh, thanks Adam? I just downloaded Exiftool 9.53 and, well, it's not particularly intuitive to me. I used to use MS-DOS with a command prompt and will occasionally run R or Python but really don't want to spend a bunch of hours learning to use Exiftool. I also downloaded the exiftoogui515 and it fails to see the exiftool whether it is running or not, but the gui seems useful if I could get it to work. I tried exiftool as directed, dragging and dropping a jpeg file onto the application window and only got a bunch of scrolling instructions with no exif data I could see.

Is there and simple, easy software that will allow me to see the exif data as I'm reviewing photos? Or is there a simple easy explaination of exiftool and how to use it with exif gui?
If you're having trouble with exiftool (i've never used the GUI version), I would recommend Lightroom or Adobe Bridge. Those summarize EXIF info very nicely for each folder / file you're browsing.

Adam

02-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, Adam, thank you. Bridge is much better - but it is not giving me lens data. Then again I'm using CS2. :-(
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, Lightroom does not recognize my Sigma 18-250; neither does Picasa which seems to recognize everything else.
02-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
THANKS SLOWPEZ! Picasa is free and I did not know it reads EXIF! It is a good tool for me needs! But alas, it does not show my lens data. :-(

I suppose I can sort of guess most of the time from what I remember shooting and the focal length, but it seems odd that the data must be in there and is just not showing.

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 07:48 PM ----------

Oops. Apparently Picasa can corrupt the EXIF data.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/PicasaCommunity/0s9dp8bl7ag

I'm ready to uninstall. :-(
03-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
THANKS SLOWPEZ! Picasa is free and I did not know it reads EXIF! It is a good tool for me needs! But alas, it does not show my lens data. :-(

I suppose I can sort of guess most of the time from what I remember shooting and the focal length, but it seems odd that the data must be in there and is just not showing.

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 07:48 PM ----------

Oops. Apparently Picasa can corrupt the EXIF data.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/PicasaCommunity/0s9dp8bl7ag

I'm ready to uninstall. :-(
That is a pretty old thread 2008. I don't use picasa much except to upload to the web and that automatically uploads to my phone. Haven't had any problem with the exif being lost except for the sigma lens I own but that lens doesn't show up anywhere so it is a sigma problem.
03-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Susan. I'll keep using Picasa for now.