Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dean,

Personally, yes.. the X-T1 is worth it. MF with the X-T1 beats the hell out of my attempts at MF with the K5 IIs.... focus peaking is outstanding. It will take some getting used to it but once you do.. you will never want to go back. Recently, on a trip to Monument Valley, I took both the K5 IIs and the X-T1. I used the K5 IIs for half an hour out of six days out there. The thing that really killed me was using the K5 IIs and not seeing exactly what I was going to get when I pressed the shutter release. That EVF has totally spoiled me. I am keeping my K5 IIs because I have a good investment in lenses and it is a great camera but the Fuji has really won my heart.

While the K5 IIs is small it is not as small as the X-T1... and the manual controls on the X-T1 are outstanding.

The EE-S screen might help but it will never be as accurate as focus peaking on the X-T1. I know it's a tough decision but I have absolutely no regrets. Good Luck.

05-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
Dean,

Personally, yes.. the X-T1 is worth it. MF with the X-T1 beats the hell out of my attempts at MF with the K5 IIs.... focus peaking is outstanding. It will take some getting used to it but once you do.. you will never want to go back. Recently, on a trip to Monument Valley, I took both the K5 IIs and the X-T1. I used the K5 IIs for half an hour out of six days out there. The thing that really killed me was using the K5 IIs and not seeing exactly what I was going to get when I pressed the shutter release. That EVF has totally spoiled me. I am keeping my K5 IIs because I have a good investment in lenses and it is a great camera but the Fuji has really won my heart.

While the K5 IIs is small it is not as small as the X-T1... and the manual controls on the X-T1 are outstanding.

The EE-S screen might help but it will never be as accurate as focus peaking on the X-T1. I know it's a tough decision but I have absolutely no regrets. Good Luck.
I agree with all you said.
I actually had the K-5iis, and while it does make a big difference, it's not nearly as good as the manual focus aids (focus peaking with your choice of color or split screen with magnification) of the XT-1.
05-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dean,

.... The thing that really killed me was using the K5 IIs and not seeing exactly what I was going to get when I pressed the shutter release....
That's an interesting comment I have seen so far... do you mind elaborating a little on this, since I also have the k-5IIs? could it be focus peaking in the EVF making the difference?
05-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim and cali92rs for your speedy replies.
What about thoughts on the AF...Do you feel as strongly about that as you do the MF?
The focus accuracy has to be my only complaint about the K-5, but I also understand that this is a fact of life with PDAF, regardless of brand. Really not keen to switch systems, but I really find the compromises you have to make between the viewfinder and AF and live view a little frustrating at times, it takes away some of the spontaneity I feel.
Cheers
Dean

05-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my take on this:

I recently acquired a Fuji XE-2 to carry along my Pentax K5/DA*300 as I found that lugging the K5 and the K7 was becoming a bit of a chore, especially in hard-to-trek trails.
The K5 is still my favorite camera for birding (mind you, the DA*300/4 is no slouch).
The XE-2 provides everything I need for " the rest" ... landscapes for instance, but to be honest, I am not very fond of the EVF although it is very bright and responsive. A late firmware update for the XE-2 has made the EVF pretty much on par with that of the X-T1.
Nonetheless, a real OVF is the thing, no doubt about it.

I've handled the X-T1 at the store: still much too big for my "compact" needs and, frankly, it isn't a whole lot smaller than my K5 body (or the K3 for that matter). Yes, it is "thinner", granted.

All in all, it all depends what your needs are.

For me, it was the compactness and sensor size (APS-C) of a second camera that made me choose the Fuji but I still definitely say that the K5 is the king for what I do 90 percent of the time: birding and other wildlife.
If the K3 didn't have so many "glitches", I would probably upgrade to it from my K5. I am thinking of the K5IIs instead.
Still in love with my Pentax gear!

Try them out, the X-T1 and the K5II, ... I have a feeling you'll go for the Pentax.

JP

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 11:13 PM ----------

Jim says it all about the MF with the Fuji:

Dean,
I had forgotten to say that this is a great attribute of the FujiX system, although I haven't yet taken it through its paces.

Cheers!

JP
05-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have a K5 original, it's a damn nice camera......was considering the X-T1 but have decided to wait for the coming new X30. All I have to say is that the X-T1 is the best looking camera currently in the market, just strikingly handsome! May not matter to some, but if it does, it's the one to own!
Regards!
05-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I'll try to explain..

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
That's an interesting comment I have seen so far... do you mind elaborating a little on this, since I also have the k-5IIs? could it be focus peaking in the EVF making the difference?

I have never liked using the histogram because a lot of what I shoot is moody, dark, strange exposure, etc.. When using a regular DSLR you clearly see what you are framing in the OVF but you do not see what your exposure settings will actually produce. With the EVF and preview mode on the X-T1 you see exactly what you get when you take the shot.. your shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc.. and any adjustments you make to them are presented to you in the EVF. You can only achieve this by using Live View on DSLRs and then you are trying to see what you will get on the LCD which is washed out and hard to see in daylight.

The EVF of the X-T1 allows you to see the shot (with the results of your settings) and you can easily make corrections and view their effect in the EVF. I had been shooting for a day in Monument Valley with the X-T1 and decided to use the K5 IIs for a while. I could easily frame a shot but I was not seeing what I would actually capture.. this feature is what has totally spoiled me in my use of the X-T1. I had to put the K5 IIs back in the bag and continue with the X-T1... it made that much of a difference to me.

That X-T1 EVF and preview mode is something no DSLR can offer and although the EVF is not like looking through and OVF it is extremely good (the best I have ever seen) and once you get used to it, you hardly notice you're not using an OVF. I know that is hard for some to believe but I was a doubter myself... until I began using the X-T1. What you see in the EVF is what you will get and that makes a huge difference to me.

05-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Here is my take on this:

I recently acquired a Fuji XE-2 to carry along my Pentax K5/DA*300 as I found that lugging the K5 and the K7 was becoming a bit of a chore, especially in hard-to-trek trails.
The K5 is still my favorite camera for birding (mind you, the DA*300/4 is no slouch).
The XE-2 provides everything I need for " the rest" ... landscapes for instance, but to be honest, I am not very fond of the EVF although it is very bright and responsive. A late firmware update for the XE-2 has made the EVF pretty much on par with that of the X-T1.
Nonetheless, a real OVF is the thing, no doubt about it.

I've handled the X-T1 at the store: still much too big for my "compact" needs and, frankly, it isn't a whole lot smaller than my K5 body (or the K3 for that matter). Yes, it is "thinner", granted.

All in all, it all depends what your needs are.

For me, it was the compactness and sensor size (APS-C) of a second camera that made me choose the Fuji but I still definitely say that the K5 is the king for what I do 90 percent of the time: birding and other wildlife.
If the K3 didn't have so many "glitches", I would probably upgrade to it from my K5. I am thinking of the K5IIs instead.
Still in love with my Pentax gear!

Try them out, the X-T1 and the K5II, ... I have a feeling you'll go for the Pentax.

JP

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 11:13 PM ----------

Jim says it all about the MF with the Fuji:

I had forgotten to say that this is a great attribute of the FujiX system, although I haven't yet taken it through its paces.

Cheers!

JP
Thanks for your comments JP.
I agree with you on the size factor...realistically by the time you add the lens(es) it's not a pocketable system. Though perhaps a little lighter, unless your are just doing the camera phone or a P&S you are still carrying a camera, an extra bit of kit, one way or another.
Size is not the biggest concern for me...it's just the ease of manual focus and reliability of auto focus I'm looking for, and maybe hoping the Fuji provides.
The loss of the OVF is huge, for sure. If someone manages to figure out how to incorporate the accuracy of CDAF and the focus aids of an EVF into a quality OVF they would deserve to own the market until the others caught up, in my mind.
Anyways, cheers for your input
Dean

---------- Post added 05-23-14 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have a K5 original, it's a damn nice camera......was considering the X-T1 but have decided to wait for the coming new X30. All I have to say is that the X-T1 is the best looking camera currently in the market, just strikingly handsome! May not matter to some, but if it does, it's the one to own!
Regards!
Hi Rupert
I've seen your posts over time on your 'Toy Camera' Fuji X20 and know you are pretty happy with the results...all the images you post look great to me too. Most people seem to think that Fuji cameras do have very nice output, separate to any other factors.
We all know that function is the number one priority, but like most things in life, if you can have something that does the job and looks good while doing it...well, that's not a bad thing, is it?
Cheers
Dean

---------- Post added 05-23-14 at 07:40 AM ----------

I have never liked using the histogram because a lot of what I shoot is moody, dark, strange exposure, etc.. When using a regular DSLR you clearly see what you are framing in the OVF but you do not see what your exposure settings will actually produce. With the EVF and preview mode on the X-T1 you see exactly what you get when you take the shot.. your shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc.. and any adjustments you make to them are presented to you in the EVF. You can only achieve this by using Live View on DSLRs and then you are trying to see what you will get on the LCD which is washed out and hard to see in daylight.

The EVF of the X-T1 allows you to see the shot (with the results of your settings) and you can easily make corrections and view their effect in the EVF. I had been shooting for a day in Monument Valley with the X-T1 and decided to use the K5 IIs for a while. I could easily frame a shot but I was not seeing what I would actually capture.. this feature is what has totally spoiled me in my use of the X-T1. I had to put the K5 IIs back in the bag and continue with the X-T1... it made that much of a difference to me.

That X-T1 EVF and preview mode is something no DSLR can offer and although the EVF is not like looking through and OVF it is extremely good (the best I have ever seen) and once you get used to it, you hardly notice you're not using an OVF. I know that is hard for some to believe but I was a doubter myself... until I began using the X-T1. What you see in the EVF is what you will get and that makes a huge difference to me.
Thanks Jim.
I think I'll have to try going hands on with the Fuji in a store, just to see it with my own eyes. The thought of changing from OVF to EVF is emotional!
Anyway, some great information provided by all responders, much appreciated for the time taken to provide input. Much to think on...
Cheers
Dean
05-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Has anyone here adapted Pentax lenses to their Fuji bodies? I am particularly interested in knowing how the FA77 works (or doesn't) with the x-trans sensor...

Thanks in advance.
05-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Pentax Lenses on the Fuji X cameras...

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Has anyone here adapted Pentax lenses to their Fuji bodies? I am particularly interested in knowing how the FA77 works (or doesn't) with the x-trans sensor...

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have, and they work great on Fuji bodies. I have the 31, 43 and 77 and they all work. Manual focus with those lenses on the Fuji is easier and more critical than on the Pentax. And they do not lose any of their magic when mounted on the Fuji.
05-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Thanks (though you just raised my GAS levels )!

How does an FA77 image shot on the K5IIs compare to a similar shot with the FA77 on the x-trans sensor? Magical in a similar way, or is the rendering noticeably different?
05-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Thanks (though you just raised my GAS levels )!

How does an FA77 image shot on the K5IIs compare to a similar shot with the FA77 on the x-trans sensor? Magical in a similar way, or is the rendering noticeably different?
Looks as good or better to me. I think Fuji's JPG algorithm for JPGs is the best I have seen. I am not shooting RAW with the X cameras until Adobe finally nails it. I don't want to use yet another program.. Lightroom and Photoshop are all I can handle at this time.....

But..yes, the magic is still there with the 77 on the Fuji.
05-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Looks as good or better to me. I think Fuji's JPG algorithm for JPGs is the best I have seen. I am not shooting RAW with the X cameras until Adobe finally nails it. I don't want to use yet another program.. Lightroom and Photoshop are all I can handle at this time.....

I have read that LR 5.4 really does a good job. Maybe not as good as Photoninja or Capture One...but I have seen plenty of examples where I couldnt tell the difference between LR5.4 and that other software.
YMMV
05-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I am definitely going to be battling GAS in the coming months!
05-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #45
Veteran Member

So, in essence, if I set the camera to -2EV, I can see the darkening effect on the EVF (not the OVF), correct? if so, that's pretty cool. I need to try that next time I go the camera store. Thanks...