Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
So, in essence, if I set the camera to -2EV, I can see the darkening effect on the EVF (not the OVF), correct? if so, that's pretty cool. I need to try that next time I go the camera store. Thanks...
You can see not only that but any changes you make in aperture or shutter speed as well as ISO. This is the one feature that DSLRs just can't compete with. and the thing to remember is that the EVFs will continue to get better and better. The Fuji EVF is so good that I really don't even think about it being an EVF anymore.

05-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I have read that LR 5.4 really does a good job. Maybe not as good as Photoninja or Capture One...but I have seen plenty of examples where I couldnt tell the difference between LR5.4 and that other software.
YMMV
Even side by side examples? I don't have a reason to compare extensively (because I don't have an X-trans) but C1 has been noticeably better each time I've tried.
05-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #48
Veteran Member

C1 and PN do a better job generally. ..but LR has come far enough that you really have to pixel peep to see the difference.
05-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
C1 and PN do a better job generally. ..but LR has come far enough that you really have to pixel peep to see the difference.
That's good - the first couple of attempts from Adobe weren't very good (comparatively) - even the second time that supposedly "fixed" it. So are you saying they've continued to improve it? I hope they have - sometimes Adobe doesn't go far enough in addressing issues like this.

08-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The X-T1 vs Pentax thing boils down to what you need.

I bought an X-T1 when I realized that with it Fuji has answered my long-standing wish for a digital MX. Or within tolerance anyway.

Your mileage may vary.
08-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #51
Veteran Member

The Fuji X-T camera is attractive in many ways. But what no one seems to be mentioning (or may not even be aware of) is the fact that the X-Trans sensors produce artifacts and have difficulty rendering fine detail. This has been documented by many users, including the widely respected Lloyd Chambers (diglloyd). The flaws are sometimes only visible at 100%, but they are there.

Personally, I would be much more interested in the Sony A7/R, if I were in the market for a MILC. In fact, when an A8 eventually arrives on the scene, I will look at it seriously, unless Pentax has produced its own FF mirrorless camera by that time.

Rob
08-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
The Fuji X-T camera is attractive in many ways. But what no one seems to be mentioning (or may not even be aware of) is the fact that the X-Trans sensors produce artifacts and have difficulty rendering fine detail. This has been documented by many users, including the widely respected Lloyd Chambers (diglloyd). The flaws are sometimes only visible at 100%, but they are there.

Personally, I would be much more interested in the Sony A7/R, if I were in the market for a MILC. In fact, when an A8 eventually arrives on the scene, I will look at it seriously, unless Pentax has produced its own FF mirrorless camera by that time.

Rob
I've seen many people claim the exact opposite regarding artifacts from the X-trans sensor. What apparently one needs is a good RAW converter and it took Adobe quite a long time to sort theirs out... so I'm told.

08-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I've seen many people claim the exact opposite regarding artifacts from the X-trans sensor. What apparently one needs is a good RAW converter and it took Adobe quite a long time to sort theirs out... so I'm told.
Photo Ninja is considered by many to be the best raw convertor for X-Trans, but I'm not sure that all of the problems with artifacts and fine detail have been solved. I don't follow the Fuji world closely, so I'm just reporting what I have read. In any event, I will take Sony sensors over Fuji.

Rob
08-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi

This will come across as a very strong statement but I will say it anyways.

Fuji = Great lenses, great feature set, poor sensor!

The sensor just bleeds colors. The smudge just overflows. (Unless the contrast is really full of blues).

Having said that, if you really want a great camera, I think Sony Alpha 6000 (APSc sensor) looks like it could be onto something - Or Olympus new line up (No hate for 4/3rd sensor). Those guys are doing fantastic job with their brand.

My thought.

Cheers!
How is that ? Bleeding colours? Smudge overflow?
So, I take it you owned or tried a Fuji X model recently?

JP
08-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photo Ninja is considered by many to be the best raw convertor for X-Trans, but I'm not sure that all of the problems with artifacts and fine detail have been solved. I don't follow the Fuji world closely, so I'm just reporting what I have read. In any event, I will take Sony sensors over Fuji.

Rob
Fujifilm uses Sony sensors. It's just a different CFA used on top of the sensor.
08-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob
Capture One Pro 7 is decent as well.
08-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Fujifilm uses Sony sensors. It's just a different CFA used on top of the sensor.
You got me. OK, I would take Sony non-X Trans sensors over the other kind.

Rob
08-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
How is that ? Bleeding colours? Smudge overflow?
So, I take it you owned or tried a Fuji X model recently?

JP
Sadly, I don't think the essential flaws of the X-Trans sensor have been fully resolved. Whether they matter in real life shooting is up to each individual shooter to decide. I know that they would for me. Below is one fairly recent blog on the subject:

The X-Trans sensor and the false details | Fuji RumorsFuji Rumors

Also attached is a screenshot from DPReview's Comparison Tool that includes the X-T1. The false details are localized but quite evident at 100%. Also bear in mind that false details obscure true details, which puts the lie to Fuji's claim that their 16MP sensor out resolves standard sensors. That is simply garbage.

Edit: BTW, the Sony A7 really rocks in this comparison. And please don't anyone complain that the examples are unfair because they compare 24MP sensors against a 16MP sensor. The issue here is not less detail, but false detail.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by robgo2; 08-18-2014 at 10:49 AM.