Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
'Jumping' white balance in interval shooting

I've been trying to do timelapse video of stars moving and it turned out that something strange is going on with my K-5. I've set the camera to Manual mode, fixed white balance and save as RAW. I was much surprised to see that at some point the pictures changed the color just as if I changed some setting. I've developed these raw files and attached them to this post. You can see what I mean: color keep constant but they change abruptly between BBK_7495.jpg and BBK_7496.jpg. Also later theres another jump betwwen 7501 and 7502. Is that normal behaviour?
I've noticed on other ocasions when shooting in burst mode that some pictures had the color off. But I was shooting at auto white balance then. This time all the settings that I know of were fixed.

03-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see what you mean. The exposures get darker one by one, then the color shifts, they get darker, color shifts back...
If it is the camera changing the white balance, I have no explanation for that. On manual with custom white balance set, it shouldn't change.
The other possibility is that the light actually changed over time, even if you didn't notice it with your eyes.
This would account for the change in color in the pictures, would mean your camera isn't broken, and that you didn't do it wrong. I like this option better.
03-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

That's indeed unusual if the WB is manually set.

I'm just going by the exif data, looks like you used LR4.1 to batch process the raw files by applying identical WB settings to them, yes?
Any chance something in LR changed for some of those files to put the WB off?
Are they all still the same °K, same tint parameters? Kinda looks like a M-G shift happened for some shots.
03-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bebeka Quote
I've been trying to do timelapse video of stars moving and it turned out that something strange is going on with my K-5. I've set the camera to Manual mode, fixed white balance and save as RAW. I was much surprised to see that at some point the pictures changed the color just as if I changed some setting. I've developed these raw files and attached them to this post. You can see what I mean: color keep constant but they change abruptly between BBK_7495.jpg and BBK_7496.jpg. Also later theres another jump betwwen 7501 and 7502. Is that normal behaviour?
I've noticed on other ocasions when shooting in burst mode that some pictures had the color off. But I was shooting at auto white balance then. This time all the settings that I know of were fixed.
You have to set this in the menu. Change the WB Adjustable Range to Fixed. If you dont do this, the WB will do some fine adjustment even if you have manually set the WB.

KjellAV

Last edited by photolady95; 03-02-2014 at 02:05 PM.
03-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@aglet: I'm positive that it's not Lightroom because I've noticed 'jump' already on the preview on the camera.
@aquadome "The other possibility is that the light actually changed over time, even if you didn't notice it with your eyes." It was getting darker. I started soon after sunset. That explains why it was getting gradually darker. However it doesn't explain the sudden jump. It could be some lamp turning on that I dodn't notice at the time but I am pretty sure that it wasn't the case because I was taking pictures on a beach where there was only one lamp nearby - it was alway turned on.

QuoteOriginally posted by KjellAV Quote
You have to set this in the menu. Change the WB Adjustable Range to Fixed. If you dont do this, the WB will do some fine adjustment even if you have manually set the WB.

KjellAV
Ha! Indeed theres such an option! Looks like this must be the correct answer. I need to check if it works on the nearest occasion.

However I'm still kindof worried because on another occasion when I was doing timelapse (it was jpgs then) at some point an obvious jump in exposure happened. Pictures got noticably brighter even though I was shooting in Manual. Still might have been the "WB Adjustable Range" feature.

Thanks for all your answers. I'll keep you posted guys.
03-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KjellAV Quote
Ah... there's a setting I didn't remember. Thanks for the reminder.