Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Now -- on the serious side -- had an idea this morning that perhaps a K-01, set on Green Mode, might be a great gift for a mentally-challenged person? Just push the shutter button? We have a relative who may have Alzheimers... and it seems that every camera out there -- even the point 'n shoots -- is either too small and fiddly, or has too many controls to comprehend.

This might ... maybe ... be a huge new market segment as the baby boom ages -- and Pentax has that basic K-01 design almost ready to go ... it would be a great project to work on. Simplifying a design is much more satisfying than just adding new features .

@Racer -- I'd like to think that St. Patrick, having moved from England to Ireland, may have also traveled to Scotland, from whence he set sail with St. Brendan The Navigator, in a splendid currach, toward these shores, always towards the setting sun, with the beautiful green flashes at that last instant. Plaid ain't so bad! Also, I don't think it's fair to compare our Pentax electronics to a Casio watch. We're at least as powerful as Google Glass, or the computer on that Chinese lunar rover, the Jade Rabbit...

@Aquadome -- so perhaps Pentax should market that Green Mode unpredictability to the Holga crowd? And, here in southern California, your insight about Green Mode communication with other species is compelling -- I'll bet if I took my camera to Sea World, a whale might jump out of the water! It is a shame that all the crystal-worshiping folks are no longer here -- priced out of the real estate market -- they would have loved Green Mode -- also the Unarians here in San Diego, a remarkably long-lasting cult, definitely possible new Green Mode users! https://www.unarius.org/
As for me, I gave it a good test, but am not psychically advanced enough yet to handle the unpredictable exposure variations.

03-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #17
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Also, I don't think it's fair to compare our Pentax electronics to a Casio watch.
I wasn't comparing the watch to Pentax cameras, only pointing out that the computing power of the electronics that took men to space and the moon was quickly made obsolete as the electronic revolution marched forward.

Even the computers in the Space Shuttles were antiquated. I read somewhere that NASA was forced to go to places like eBay to get repair parts for the electronics as the contractors that had provided the original equipment were long out of business.
08-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
Green mode also changes vibrance, saturation, sharpness in addition to exposure. I think green mode produces over processed shots. P mode, on the other hand, changes only exposure values and can be over-ridden. I use P mode if I give my camera to others to use.
Every time I hand my camera over to 'others' it comes back ...always comes back... with all my settings changed, it will be inadvertantly switched to 'cross processing', and tungsten light, continuous shoot, etc etc, all of which I figure out the next time I try to photograph something, LOL, then I have to go through the menu and reset all my settings.
08-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

In all seriousness the Green Mode is a life saver for me in these situations:-
a) very difficult lighting situation & I cannot afford to take a test shot then fine tune WB.
b) my Grand Daughter is in a very happy mood and I need to capture that shot immediately.
c) I need to use the on board flash as a"fill" flash w/o any guess work.

I am a JPEG shooter as the output from the camera is just superb. And why mess with PP
using RAW files when the result is not going to be much better.
But on the rare occasion where the photo situation is tricky or difficult to guestimate, I shoot
both RAW + JPEG.
And folks note, even with JPEG I am able to retrieve shadow details or color and contrast
using Lightroom or Photoshop quite easily and fast.

So here is the percentage: Green mode 14% + TAv mode 28% + Av mode 42% + Others 16%.

I know an honest Maternity + Baby / Toddler Pro Photographer who shoots JPEG and around
12% of the time in Green Mode. She does use RAW + JPEG around 16% of the time.

Most Pros will not admit it any way.

Regards.
Nanhi
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.