Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Mirror Flop

My K-5 was repaired under warranty in October by CRIS at the end of the warranty period. The sensor was failing, so it looks like they replaced the board. In the past two months my camera has started to exhibit a mirror flop where the mirror raises twice before the shutter is fired. Also sometimes the mirror flops when the camera is turned off. This is with a nearly drained battery, so it doesn't follow the over voltage flop problem the k-5 has with fresh batteries. The cold weather for some reason seems to trigger this problem. When I bring the camera inside and let it reach room temperature it more or less goes away. I never had this problem previous to sending it into CRIS. I contacted CRIS and they stated that it was out of their repair warranty period but I would be welcome to send it in for a quote. From what I've read this problem does not go away and will eventually become fatal with the mirror locking. If I send it in, I know I could be looking at a $2-300 repair, which isn't much less than used K-5s are going for. If I did something that broke the camera I wouldn't be so upset, but I feel that their repair is now going to cost me money on a camera that is barely 9 months old. Of course I had to find out about the two year extended warranty for $20 well after I bought the camera. I asked nicely and pentax wouldn't sell me one as I was a week overdue. Bummer.

03-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yip, it is a Bummer. Seems they did not fix it properly the first time. Pitty about the after sale service. It does not helps Pentax course. Good luck. Hope you come right.