Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-5 Memory Card door broke, where or how to fix?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So, I was putting back the SD card, and the outermost sliver of the door (about 4mm) just broke! The door is still completely functional, but I wanted to see if I can replace is for a reasonable price. I am in Chicago, and there are a few camera shops where I can take it, but has anyone ordered just the parts in the past from Pentax or elsewhere?

I essentially have to replace the entire door (I think), unless I can glue it together - although I doubt it will hold given how you put pressure there while closing.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 08:20 AM ----------

Found a part on eBay for K-7. I am guessing they are same/similar? Also, any idea if I can fix it myself, or should I take it into a camera/jewelry shop?

Pentax Genuine SD Memory Card Door Cover for K7 K7D Camera 77240 A210 | eBay

Attached Images

Last edited by pentaman; 03-27-2014 at 06:20 AM.
03-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Contact CRIS

I would contact CRIS for a repair estimate.

Ricoh Service Dept
250 North 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226
customerservice@criscam.com
(480) 940-1103

I shipped my K-01 to them on 3/14/14, and they repaired it and had it back in the mail to me by 3/19/14.
Surprisingly good and speedy service.
03-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ivanvernon - how much did they charge? I can get the part for $15 on eBay, and only thinking if I can do it myself if I don't have to pay > $50 to fix it.
03-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
ivanvernon - how much did they charge? I can get the part for $15 on eBay, and only thinking if I can do it myself if I don't have to pay > $50 to fix it.
Mine was a warranty repair, so free of charge except my cost of shipping the camera to them; they paid the return charges. That is why I am suggesting that you call for a free estimate before sending the camera or fixing it yourself. A free estimate should be quick and not delay your getting the work done.

03-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Will do - in all my years of being a Pentax user, this is the first time anything broke, and that too just a door! Good track record, at that
03-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
So, I was putting back the SD card, and the outermost sliver of the door (about 4mm) just broke! The door is still completely functional, but I wanted to see if I can replace is for a reasonable price. I am in Chicago, and there are a few camera shops where I can take it, but has anyone ordered just the parts in the past from Pentax or elsewhere?

I essentially have to replace the entire door (I think), unless I can glue it together - although I doubt it will hold given how you put pressure there while closing.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 08:20 AM ----------

Found a part on eBay for K-7. I am guessing they are same/similar? Also, any idea if I can fix it myself, or should I take it into a camera/jewelry shop?

Pentax Genuine SD Memory Card Door Cover for K7 K7D Camera 77240 A210 | eBay
Note the photo on the ebay site is not from a PENTAX K7
03-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Note the photo on the ebay site is not from a PENTAX K7
Yes, I noticed - but the part numbers match (I used the PDF of Pentax K7 parts for reference).

03-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you want to fix it yourself, limit the repair to buying a good glue and sticking the missing part where it goes. If you are sending it in, take advantage to ask for a CLA. I wouldn´t try to dissasemble and change the door yourself because of the seals...
04-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
If you want to fix it yourself, limit the repair to buying a good glue and sticking the missing part where it goes. If you are sending it in, take advantage to ask for a CLA. I wouldn´t try to dissasemble and change the door yourself because of the seals...
This card door is Sh** design - the K20D was better. I broke the door too while pulling out the card.
I bought a small tube of Araldite 2-part epoxy $ 0.80. Cut small strips of Aluminum from an empty pepsi can to match the card door broken piece.
Squeezed out equal portions of the epoxy, mixed them and applied it to the broken ends. Applied epoxy to the aluminum pieces and stuck them to the underside of the card door so that the door looks nice from the outside. Applied scotch tape on the outside to hold the door pieces together.
12-hours later I had a "new" fixed door. A bit of scraping with a utility knife and the outer door surface was just as good and smooth.
04-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some glue ?
01-15-2024, 02:03 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
If you are sending it in, take advantage to ask for a CLA.
CLA?

I tried Acronym Finder and came up with:
Canadian Library Association
Conjugated Linoleic Acid
Copyright Licensing Agency
College of Liberal Arts
Cigarette Lighter Adapter
Cambodian Living Arts
Contributor License Agreement
I still don't know.
01-16-2024, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter