Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using AF 360FGZ With K5 Wirelessly

I have a K5 and an AF360FGZ flash. I have never tried to use my flash with the K5 as wireless lighting before and would like to know my options. I have somewhat debated adding an AF540FGZ and doing some portrait photography in the future if it was needed or seemed attractive. I looked on the Pentax store site and they have a Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F, but that would not allow me to operate wirelessly as it uses a extension cord that supposedly goes from the camera to the hot shoe to operate the flash. I guess the only option to go wireless is to use wireless transceivers (triggers and receivers) such as Pocket Wizard Plus II. Is that the step to take if I want to utilize my camera and flash wireless technology? I would appreciate any opinions on this subject.

Thank you.

03-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The AF360 will trigger optically when Slave 2 mode is selected.
Then use the camera's inbuilt flash to trigger.
AF360 seems to trigger reliably even when the camera's flash is turned down
03-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Any Extra Equipment Required

Would I require any equipment other than my camera and AF360 to do that (such as hot shoe for flash)? In other words, when you refer to optically does the 360 react per the flash emitted from the camera without the need for a hot shoe or anything else? Thanks.
03-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No.
The AF360 has an optical sensor that picks up the reflected light and fires the flash effectively simultaneously with the camera flash.

The set up for the AF360 is a bit complicated so you will need the manual. Once it is set up you switch the flash into slave mode.
The AF360 does have an annoying flaw - it forgets all the menu selections when it is switched off , so it is necessary to go through and reselect all the settings ( mode, zoom, iso level etc) at each power up.

03-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

wombat2go's idea is a good one, and you should give it a try.

For more "serious" work, many people don't consider this reliable enough. That's when you get into something like a wireless Pocket Wizard system. The PW is great if you have to interact with other common equipment - for example, almost any artificial lighting class you'll ever take will be using one.

But if the system's entirely up to you, you can go with something cheaper. I have a Paul C. Buff CyberSync system, which I like because my Einstein strobes have a built-in slot for an inexpensive wireless transceiver that can even be used to remotely control the strobe's settings if needed. So I can use my transmitter with a combination of the Einsteins and my Pentax flashes.

Paul C. Buff - CyberSync

I believe there's also at least one TTL capable "small-name" lower priced dedicated system for Pentax now available on Amazon. Perhaps someone else who owns one can refer you to it.

Last edited by DSims; 03-31-2014 at 08:16 PM.
03-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
wombat2go,
After I last replied to you, I got my manual out and looked at the different ways to use the external flashes without any cords or other equipment. Thank you for clarifying me with your mention of the optical sensor, that factor was one I was curious about. I suppose I will probably find this out by testing, but would I have to always have the external flash or flashes ahead of me when shooting in the way we are referring to (camera as control/master and external flash as slave) and could they be a little to the side? Also, if I want to attach my AF360 to a stand (off camera) during wireless shooting using the methods we are discussing, I suppose I would just need a simple non-power related adapter for the flash to connect to the stand since the sensor on the flash is the communication factor. I am glad you have advised me of what I can do. I was tempted to possibly purchase things that I know I don't necessarily need to do wireless flash shooting now. Thanks.

---------- Post added 03-31-14 at 11:42 PM ----------

Thanks DSims,
If I do want to advance in the way you mentioned, to have control over the external flashes and lights in that way, sounds like a good idea. I did not know the capacity of what the PW would communicate with, and from what you say it sounds like it would handle quite a universal spectrum of strobe lighting types. That is something I was really curious about also. Thank you for iterating that, it was an important point. Also, my trying the wireless capabilities that wombat2go has told me of and that I have reviewed in my manual will prove valuable also. I had noticed the PW on internet and at the Pentax store I saw cords and hot shoe adapters, so that sort of got me curious about what the wireless capabilities were of my K5 and AF360 by themselves. I started to assume that I possibly needed something else, but as we can see, the camera and flash have their own capabilities, and as you said if I need to become more advanced I can using the PW method with flashes and strobes. The cords and adapters route doesn't seem bad, but I like the wireless. I suppose there are not issues of PW operating with the Pentax type equipment. That is probably the only other thing I would want to know before going that way, except for knowing if it would be possible to buy a single PW transceiver to use if I did add another flash or strobe to my equipment it. You have been very informative. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-31-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: correction and addition of information
03-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I did not know the capacity of what the PW would communicate with, and from what you say it sounds like it would handle quite a universal spectrum of strobe lighting types.
The PW may still require all the light output settings to be configured manually on most studio strobes, regardless of the camera brand being used. But it's a fairly safe bet that if you walk on a set the PW is what they'll be using.

However, with Canon and Nikon, if you're going to use their flashes, you can get a PW setup that will use TTL communication with the flash, for a fairly automated exposure. With Pentax you have to go with the somewhat obscure third-party option for the wireless TTL setup. But while flashes are compact, and therefore quite handy at times, a studio strobe can be so much more powerful (and can even be used outdoors (like on the beach) to overpower the Sun) that it's often worth doing the more manual setup.

Last edited by DSims; 03-31-2014 at 09:44 PM.
04-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Flashes (with and without PW)

So the PW would basically work with Pentax AF360 or AF540 if I desired to do so according to what you have said, and supposedly in the TTL mode.

If I was using the wireless mode P-TTL with just my Pentax equipment (No PW), I am figuring that the external flashes would not have to have their base mounts hooked up to anything, they just need to be on and able to communicate with the K5. I know I will find this and other things out when I test my wireless capability (without PW).

Thanks.
04-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wireless TTL requires transceivers on each end which can pass the information back and forth. PW has only developed this for Canon and Nikon, and you have to buy a specific model of PW. To do this on Pentax you need to buy a third party system. It's a fairly uncommon one, and I've never tried it, but I believe it works.

This page describes a bit about it, plus much other Pentax flash information on the same site: Wireless - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

And here's some more interesting information:
Is there any ttl radio flash trigger for Pentax?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Aokatec - Products
04-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Wireless TTL requires transceivers on each end which can pass the information back and forth. PW has only developed this for Canon and Nikon, and you have to buy a specific model of PW. To do this on Pentax you need to buy a third party system. It's a fairly uncommon one, and I've never tried it, but I believe it works.

This page describes a bit about it, plus much other Pentax flash information on the same site: Wireless - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

And here's some more interesting information:
Is there any ttl radio flash trigger for Pentax?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Aokatec - Products
Thank you DSims. You have been a real help.