Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Pentax K-5 II Using RAW +

I was caught up in the debate over RAW vs. JPEG and decided to shoot RAW+ for a while. After loading the double photos into my computer, I noticed that, other than the difference in the file sizes, the appearance of the RAW vs. the JPEG images were pretty much identical. I am using a MacBook Pro with a Retina screen.

This leads me to the question of precedence. Is the JPEG image made FROM the RAW image? Or does the JPEG image reflect the camera settings that would be invoked if you were shooting JPEG only? That is, if I choose Bright or Vivid images with bumped up saturation, will the JPEGs be made with these parameters taken into account. Appearance-wise it looks like the first case is true.

What is the precedence and picture taking protocol for RAW+?

Thanks!

Barry Scholles

04-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
Or does the JPEG image reflect the camera settings that would be invoked if you were shooting JPEG only? That is, if I choose Bright or Vivid images with bumped up saturation, will the JPEGs be made with these parameters taken into account.
Yes. It will also apply those settings to the embedded jpeg in the raw file. When comparing them they look the same, probably, because the viewer you are using is not processing the raw file but rather displaying the embedded jpg.
04-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
I initially used Picasa with my old PC. Now viewing in iPhoto with my Mac. I do understand there's an imbedded JPEG inside the RAW image. However, the JPEG image right next to the RAW image looks like it has had zero camera controls applied to it. This is not the case when I shoot JPEG only, which is what I've gone back to.
04-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The JPEG should normally also have the camera controls applied to it. Are you sure about this? I don't think I ever paid close enough attention to know for sure, but I'd always believed the JPEGs were the same either way.

04-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

FWIW I shoot RAW+ on both my K-5ii and my wife's K-50 - In my case the RAW files before processing look much worse than the JPEGs that come from the camera, sometimes I will look at the JPEG when working with the RAW file to get started in the right direction...
04-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
I initially used Picasa with my old PC. Now viewing in iPhoto with my Mac. I do understand there's an imbedded JPEG inside the RAW image. However, the JPEG image right next to the RAW image looks like it has had zero camera controls applied to it. This is not the case when I shoot JPEG only, which is what I've gone back to.
Do you have iPhoto set to separately import each file? If yes, the library viewer will display two images for each shot... the RAW and JPEG side by side.
04-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, there are two images, side by side and one is a RAW file, the other a JPEG.

I think the point of my question is being misunderstood. What I'm talking about here is what appears to be two different types of JPEG images. When I shoot RAW+ both the RAW and and the JPEG images resemble each other. I would expect the RAW image to look unprocessed by the camera. But the JPEG ALSO looks like the camera hasn't done anything with it.

When I shoot in JPEG only, I can see the camera adding the extra saturation I requested or shooting in Bright or Vivid.

But I do not see these camera modifications to the JPEG images when I shoot in RAW+.

That is the point. There appears to be two different types of JPEGs here.

04-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Definitely not how the K-7/K-01/Q and MX-1 work.
Camera setting processing is done for JPEG and embeded JPEG. RAW has zero processing.
Easiest way to check is to set custom image to MONOCHROME then shoot a RAW, RAW+ and a JPEG.

Both JPEG images will be identical Monochrome versions and the initial view of a RAW in most apps will be the embeded JPEG, so will also be Monochrome, but load the actual RAW data and you will get a full colour photo.