Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 II AF improvement

Hi All.

Well this week at different times I have tried both the K5II and the K3. Anyway, I can categorically says that both are definitely faster than the K5 classic.

Earlier in the week I really wanted to try the K3 but it was sold out so I thought I may as well try K5II with the DA*50-135 while I was in the shop. This is a notoriously slow af lens. I have and use this on my K5 and its image quality is stellar but af is only ok. Anyway, in dimish indoor lighting the K5II was definitely faster than my K5 classic and this was not optimal lighting.

Today I tried the K3 with a DA70mm. Again this was in indoor lighting that was neither really bright nor exceedingly dim. Anyway, it focussed faster than I have ever experienced on a Pentax camera in those conditions. In fact it kind of zips very fast and you notice the speed (and sound) with a screw drive lens like the DA70. It was a pity I couldn't try it out with the DA50-135 for a comparison against the K5II.

It also got me thinking about the size of the K3. While its not big, its starting to get out of proportion with the pancake lenses. I did enjoy the af speed though.

Howie B

04-10-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The reason the 70mm lens is so much faster is that the K-3 has a faster AF motor than previous Pentax cameras. We were able to measure up to 50% faster focusing speeds with screwdrive lenses in our in-depth review. The same benefit doesn't apply to SDM lenses, unfortunately, but it's a big plus with classic lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The reason the 70mm lens is so much faster is that the K-3 has a faster AF motor than previous Pentax cameras. We were able to measure up to 50% faster focusing speeds with screwdrive lenses in our in-depth review. The same benefit doesn't apply to SDM lenses, unfortunately, but it's a big plus with classic lenses.
Unfortunately it is not all good with this faster focusing speed. K-3 is also a little bit less accurate than K-5 II. I have done a lot of testing (with only one K-3 and one K-5 II) and K-3 seems to be a small amount out of focus for 30%-50% of the pictures with long lenses >200mm. This inaccuracy is only seen with screw driven lenses. Lenses with SDM are good on both cameras I used for testing. I have reported this to Pentax and are waiting for an answer on this. I am not sure this is a common problem regarding K-3 or something wrong with my camera only.
04-10-2014, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Brooke Meyer

My K5IIs are noticeably faster and more sure in very low light ( think theaters) than my K5. It was K5's for 3 years, just sold one.

As for the 50-135 being "notoriously slow", I've no similar lens to compare but I had good results even on my K-5s. The surfer photo was made using a Kenko 1.5 TC as I was traveling light.