Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tolerance of the K5 level indicator

I quite often end up with images which are not horizontal by an error of around two degrees, but sometimes between one and two degrees. Does anyone know what the error margin of the K5 level indicator is? I'm sure I am checking the level indicator in these situations, but still ending up with something that isn't level. I'm also talking about images which are landscape views, not at creative angles.

04-14-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah mines out by a bit (couple of bars) but I just live with it and now I just compensate for it. Easy to check by placing the camera on a spirit level (that has been levelled).
I have seen quite a few reports of this issue on the forums. Some sent their camera back for calibration and there was talk of needing a board swap to fix the issue.
Doesn't really worry me too much.
04-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first k-5 was off by maybe 5 degrees so I sent it back as defective. The second was much closer but I think the margin of error is still a few degrees. It's just not that accurate IMHO. I use it as a guide but don't count on it being correct. That's what post processing is for I guess. I've checked with a bubble level on the camera, but the quality of the bubble levels that fit on the hot shoe is not all that great either so it's a toss up which is actually correct.
04-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

One thing I liked about my former Olympus camera is the ability to re-zero the electronic level via a menu option. Pentax should have this, IMHO.

04-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make sure to have the latest version of firmware installed. When photographing artwork I find the level extremely accurate on my K-5IIs
04-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hear is an old thread linking to another thread, etc...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/206213-does-any...nic-level.html
04-15-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Yeah mines out by a bit (couple of bars) but I just live with it and now I just compensate for it. Easy to check by placing the camera on a spirit level (that has been levelled).
I have seen quite a few reports of this issue on the forums. Some sent their camera back for calibration and there was talk of needing a board swap to fix the issue.
Doesn't really worry me too much.
OK, interesting to know that others have had issues.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My first k-5 was off by maybe 5 degrees so I sent it back as defective. The second was much closer but I think the margin of error is still a few degrees. It's just not that accurate IMHO. I use it as a guide but don't count on it being correct. That's what post processing is for I guess. I've checked with a bubble level on the camera, but the quality of the bubble levels that fit on the hot shoe is not all that great either so it's a toss up which is actually correct.
Thanks for the feedback - I think it's the tolerance which is the issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
One thing I liked about my former Olympus camera is the ability to re-zero the electronic level via a menu option. Pentax should have this, IMHO.
That would be a really good thing!

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Make sure to have the latest version of firmware installed. When photographing artwork I find the level extremely accurate on my K-5IIs
I'm pretty sure I do, but I'll check.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Thanks. Clearly it didn't matter for the folks who turned it off. I do find it useful, so I suppose I just need to accept that it won't get me within two degrees of level.