Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Lauke - I wonder how it went with your drowned K-5? I wouldn't be too pessimistic - the weather proofing is really impressive. Depends a bit what you had mounted on it...

I have good and bad news on my own silly story. I have talked to my insurance company, and they DO have idiocy coverage (apparently), so apart from a base fee I will get most of my expenses covered. On the bad side, the 300mm turns out to be critically damaged also. It needs to go on a trip to Japan to get recalibrated. I am hoping that my insurance company will just pay the estimated price of repair and let me buy a replacement 300mm instead. After all I already bought the K-3 house, and I can postpone getting a second house. In some months I might find a good deal on a used K-5 II in the marketplace...

Right now I just WANT to be able to look up at migrating ospreys without feeling miserable. And that takes - getting a DA* 300mm in my hands. One way or another.

04-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
It's easter. The sun is blinding. Actually, this is the first sunny day off in weeks, and the gannets are flying close to the coast, in the sunshine, with a background of breaking waves.

All the same to me. I just dropped my K-5 with my DA* 300mm mounted on the tarmac.

I think I broke some contacts, at the very least. The mount ring had come loose, and I tightened the screws and said a little prayer before remounting the lens, but the camera does not register any lens mounted. So I can't take a test shot to see what else I broke - but at least the lens looks optically undamaged.

So I am ordering my K-3 today. Unhappily. I looked so much forward to getting it - May was my target month - but now there is no joy in buying it. I can't afford it either, but I can't go without a camera for long either.

Bye, then, K-5. Best camera I ever had.

I know the feeling: Rolling my kayak last summer killed my K-5 (the 200mm mounted on it survived, as did the K20D and the 16-50mm).
Its tough to lose something that you've grown so attached to. It starts to feel like an extension of your arm.

Best of luck with the K-3 ... And remember to keep a strap on that thing!
04-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Lauke - I wonder how it went with your drowned K-5? I wouldn't be too pessimistic - the weather proofing is really impressive. Depends a bit what you had mounted on it...
It resurrected right after Easter (kinda funny huh?). I had de 18-55WR mounted, so definitely not something as weather sealed as a DA*. Now I come to think of it, how sealed is de 100 macro WR by the way?
There was a drop of water right IN the lens. Like, you could see it splash around somewhere behind the 3rd element or so. But that too dried out completely, nothing wrong with it now. Never really used it much though, so I could live without it too.

Anyway, congrats on the new K-3, even though you still have to do without your 300 for a while. That really sucks... Good thing you're getting most of it covered by insurance. To end on a positive note, maybe see it as a chance to try a radically different subject for a while? It can be quite refreshing.
04-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
It resurrected right after Easter (kinda funny huh?). I had de 18-55WR mounted, so definitely not something as weather sealed as a DA*. Now I come to think of it, how sealed is de 100 macro WR by the way?
There was a drop of water right IN the lens. Like, you could see it splash around somewhere behind the 3rd element or so. But that too dried out completely, nothing wrong with it now. Never really used it much though, so I could live without it too.

Anyway, congrats on the new K-3, even though you still have to do without your 300 for a while. That really sucks... Good thing you're getting most of it covered by insurance. To end on a positive note, maybe see it as a chance to try a radically different subject for a while? It can be quite refreshing.
Long live Jesutax...