Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Multi exposure

Hi: I recently discovered that my camera can do multi exposures. One question, can I take my first pic. then save it for later use. What I mean is use camera for other pictures. Then use the multi exposed pic. from earlier? It's on page 136 of the manual, but say's nothing about that.
Thanks Silk OH sorry camera is a K5IIs....

04-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Silkzone Quote
Hi: I recently discovered that my camera can do multi exposures. One question, can I take my first pic. then save it for later use. What I mean is use camera for other pictures. Then use the multi exposed pic. from earlier? It's on page 136 of the manual, but say's nothing about that.
Thanks Silk OH sorry camera is a K5IIs....
i think not … it's not how it works, my guess is that it's only saving those single pics in temp, maybe some sort of ram memory or just deleting them afterwards when you finished with the multi exposure, it will combine the temps and save the final pic … in principle for the multi exposure the exposure settings do not change, only what is in the picture changes

bracketing is the opposite, where the settings do change, but it's intended to not change the scene

but of course what you want can be done on a computer …
04-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm in a completion with my two sisters. One of them has a Nikon D300 which is nowhere near a K5IIs She can save the first pic in some sort of a file on the camera, & use it later! You mentioned bracketing, now I'm going to have to look into that? No idea what that is!! I guess I'm going to have to go out & get some sort of Photoshop thing! My sister has Elements12 say's it's great! What do you think or would you suggest something else? OH I'm not a million air, more like a dollar air! Thanks Silk
04-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess I'm going to have to go out & get some sort of Photoshop thing! My sister has Elements12 say's it's great! What do you think or would you suggest something else?
Elements is fine. I use v9.

You can browse through the Digital Processing and Software sub forum for answers to this oft-asked question :-)

04-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax cannot save any but the final image. No idea why you would want to. Multi-exposure usually takes some planning, so just take a single image, then take your multi-exposure. Done. I must be missing something???

...but try this; Turn on Live View and watch your multiple exposure results on screen before you take the shot.
It is especially nice for doing those funky Orton style images as you can get the perfect effect before clicking the shutter. Or for perfectly lining up overlapping objects.
I just found this over the weekend on my K3, but I read that it exists back to the K7. Pretty cool.

I believe Nikon disables multiple exposure in Live View for some reason. Too bad, so sad. :-)
04-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #6

Thanks. I'm in a completion with my two sisters. One of them has a Nikon D300 which is nowhere near a K5IIs She can save the first pic in some sort of a file on the camera, & use it later! You mentioned bracketing, now I'm going to have to look into that? No idea what that is!! I guess I'm going to have to go out & get some sort of Photoshop thing! My sister has Elements12 say's it's great! What do you think or would you suggest something else? OH I'm not a million air, more like a dollar air! Thanks Silk
with bracketing you can set the exposure compensation to a set + and - value then when you take the shots it will take 1 with the 1st setting, 1 normal, a 1 with the second seting .. you can set the order in you custom menu, one thing that it's used for is HDR, but some suggest that shooting raw is a lot better .. i don't know, i'd say try it if you interested in that sort of thing and see what works for you …

for software, i never needed anything like photoshop, but tried lightroom, and i've seen elements being favoured by members of photo club, i guess it's the price/value question, for non profit could be hard to justify the price of lightroom + the time to master it, when elements provides more easy to understand tools and is usually sufficient for the needs

my personal favourite is gimp, but thats simply because i use it for lots of other things and the tools it offers are enough for my needs

it's same, you'll need to try few and see for yourself what works best for you …. there will be trial versions available so should be no problem