Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

A acouple of questions before I buy

Hi Folks,
After much hand wringing, investigating the K-5 iis and K-3 I decided to upgrade from my K-10D to the K-5 iis. The K-3 is too much for my budget and the extra money will help to find a decent additional lens.
I do have a couple of questions before I buy it though.

1. Batteries. I want to get an extra battery for the camera but everybody seems to be sold out. I wanted to stay with the Pentax brand because I'm not sure if I should trust these third party batteries so my questions is this.
Does anybody use 3rd party batteries for the K-5 iis?
If so will I need to buy a charger with it?
Which brands do you trust?

2. Firmware. I understand that there may be some issues with the latest firmware (1.07) and I am going to have enough learning the new camera after having the K-10D for some 7 years so is anybody aware of where I can get version 1.06? Ricoh imaging will only allow 1.07 downloads.

I will most likely buy the camera from B&H, no grip, and an extended warranty. For $20.00 the warranty seems the smart way to go.

Thank you for your time,
Steven

04-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a Proflash battery and it works just fine.

You can get 1.06 on the UK support site. Definitely avoid 1.07! I'm still trying to get support to give me a solution to that.

Yeah $20 sounds well worth it.

The K5ii is a great camera although it has some flash issues. However, it works so well in low light that you really don't need a flash.

Enjoy!
04-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had an aftermarket battery which crapped out on me. The Wasabi brand seems to be much more reliable, though. You can use your OEM charger with any of these.

If you turn off the automatic image review this will save a lot of battery power. You really just need one spare, the batteries last a long time - unless you're going to use the onboard flash or video recording a lot, then you'll suck electrons quickly.
04-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Wasabi and B&H batteries, some are 3 years old and never had a problem. They recharge just fine although the older ones are showing signs of slowing down after many charges, I'll just replace them with another Wasabi. They certainly have given great service.

04-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i use wasabi and maxelle and they both work great...the camera is awesome!!!
04-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Flash Issues?

What kind of flash issues are you referring to? I will be using flash in family, indoor situations as well as using wireless transmitters with the 540 fgz flash. Most of the time the camera will be used for landscape and some birding.

Steven

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
I use a Proflash battery and it works just fine.

You can get 1.06 on the UK support site. Definitely avoid 1.07! I'm still trying to get support to give me a solution to that.

Yeah $20 sounds well worth it.

The K5ii is a great camera although it has some flash issues. However, it works so well in low light that you really don't need a flash.

Enjoy!
04-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I bought my K-5iis 1 year ago I went with what B&H had as an aftermarket battery which was a Pearstone. I have a grip on mine and use the Pearstone in the grip as the primary battery. It lasts forever and am glad I bought it. I see now that B&H shows a Watson battery now instead of the Pearstone. Looking at the reviews I would think it would be fine. Reviews are very good the same as the Pearstone was.

You will not need a different charger.

I am still running the 1.06 firmware. I haven't read of any real problems with the 1.07 but I am one not to upgrade unless it will give me some improvements. Hopefully you will be able to find the 1.06 somewhere.

And yes, the $20 extended warranty is a no brainer. It even includes a free cleaning and check up one time.

Northern Tier of Penna? You might be close to me depending on if you are east or west.

04-25-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K5IIs as well and I have one original and one 3rd party battery called DiviPower which can last as long the the original.
04-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #9

I too use Wasabi Power, they are are still reliable and pumping juice as we speak.
04-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
2 Wasabi's and a charger from Amazon as back up to my original Pentax battery. The Wasabi's appear to be as good as the original (so far) and the charger is more convienient to travel with (plastic body encloses a swing away plug as opposed to a seperate power cord).
04-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steven363 Quote
Hi Folks,

If so will I need to buy a charger with it?

2. Firmware. I understand that there may be some issues with the latest firmware (1.07) and I am going to have enough learning the new camera after having the K-10D for some 7 years so is anybody aware of where I can get version 1.06? Ricoh imaging will only allow 1.07 downloads.

For $20.00 the warranty seems the smart way to go.

Thank you for your time,
Steven
No you wont need a charger, however another charger does come in handy when you want to charge 2 batteries at the same time. Also it is nice to have an aftermarket charger that can be used also in ones car in case one of those rare emergencies comes up.

I updated my K5 ll's from the original version to 1.07 right after my purchase and to be honest I have tried to simulate the issues noted from others and haven't encountered any of them with my camera. So I guess you would need to look at the updates from what version yours comes with and make the determination if what has been updated is worth it and whether what some consumers are reporting as firmware update problems are isolated instances or wide spread. If wide spread usually a lot of consumers report the same issues since the cameras are programmed the same. All I can attest to is that I haven't had any problems since updating.

$20.00 is worth spending for some extra protection IMO.
04-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you for all of your replies. Your answers have helped me to make some decisions.
Yesterday (Friday) I ordered the K-5 iis and the extended warranty from B&H
Extra battery was the Wasabi from Amazon and also ordered Cactus V5 wireless triggers as well.

Funny thing though. As soon as I finished placing the order I ran out to the mail box to see if the camera arrived (Just kidding) It's going to be a long week waiting.
I am curious to see what changes in certain areas as compared to the K-10D such as being able to shoot in higher ISO's and auto-focus. Guess there will be a bit of a learning curve as well. Oh well, never too old to learn.
Forgot to mention that I downloaded the version 1.06 firmware update and will keep a close eye to see if issues continue or just wait to see if there is going to be anymore updates. Now that the K-3 is front and center Ricoh may forget about the K-5 series. Just have to wait and watch.
Steven

Last edited by Steven363; 04-26-2014 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Added to last paragraph
04-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Congratulations on making your decision and pulling the trigger. For me the worst part is the research and decision making. Now that is over for you and the fun part begins aside from the wait for it to arrive.

I came from the K-20D to the K-5 and now K-5IIs. The higher ISO shooting is just so liberating. With the K-20D my limit was ISO400 with ISO800 in a pinch. Now with the K-5IIs my limit is ISO1600 with ISO3200 in a pinch. Actually even higher ISO's than that clean up very well.

Please update us with your thoughts when you've had a chance to work with you new camera a bit.
04-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Congrats and welcome to the K5 lls club.....as Stormtech mentioned every camera has a learning curve so don't judge your camera/lens performance based on your initial photos and it will take a little bit to learn the button functions but you will be glad you have them on down the road.