Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instant Review in B&W or Shoot in B&W?

I have a random question:

I shoot a lot of very dark concerts with over sat red led. I usually in LR take image to B&W to get contrast back, then go back to color and figure that out.

Is the a way on my K-5iis, to have the instant review you see in lcd for a few seconds in B&W? But have the images captures full color?

or simply

Will shooting in B&W with a raw file still capture color if altered in post?

My main goal: See my instant review shots in lCD in B&W so I can work on better exposure in B&W, while shooting but still have color images being captured.

05-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

i've wondered the same but never experimented. how about RAW+? RAW should be captured and JPG converted
05-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's simple enough to try out, and I think you'll see that RAW always captures color information regardless of whether you have the camera set to B&W for JPEGs and/or review.
05-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set the jpeg mode to BW and shoot RAW. Raw will stay raw, with full colours. But the preview jpeg embedded in the raw container (dng or pef file) will be black and white. Some software might recognize that it is switched to BW, but there should be a way to turn it back to colour.
But definitely do a test before you do a whole concert!

05-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shoot RAW+. select Monochrome in the colour setting in camera, now you have a B&W JPG and unprocessed coloured DNG, if your goal is just to review you can even set the JPG quality to low to save card space.

This way you can review the JPG to fine tune exposure etc and get some idea what the image look like in B&W , then you got the RAW file in Lightroom or whatever software you use you can tweak the image anyway you wanted.

That's what I did anyway.
05-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
worked perfectly. thanks!