Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Planning on getting a K-5 II...

Hi,

Back in the 90s, I was quite a happy shooter using goodold classic SLRs (mainly Yashica), but I have never owned a digital one. I cant stand taking photos with a smartphone anymore... so I am about to get my first DSLR! It will be a lot of fun My budget is limited, say, up to 800 euros / 1k usd (lens included). I am looking for an "all purpose" DSLR and I am not that much into video's.

Anyhow, here is the question. Is K-5 II still a good reflex or might be too outdated?

I am comparing the K-5 II to other potential candidates, which are within the same price range, ie, T5i (700D) and D5300. (Of course, I could not avoid considering Canon and Nikon, resp.). I know that the T5i is not that new either, since it is about the same as the previous two generations.

So, would you recommend me the K-5 II over the T5i and D5300?
For all of them, I am considering their respective 18-55 lens kit.

Your inputs will be much appreciated!

PS. I am posting my doubts in this forum only, which -I suppose- should be likely biased towards the K-5 II This should tell you that I have already made up my mind... still, I'd like to hear you opinions! Cheers.

05-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Anyhow, here is the question. Is K-5 II still a good reflex or might be too outdated?
It's a bit dated when it comes to video and live view features (it's essentially the same as the K-5 from 2010), but in terms of autofocus, image quality, features, etc. it's a stellar camera that is yet to become obsolete in terms of aps-c image quality. So if you're all about stills, then I'd recommend it. I'd recommend it over the Rebel and the D5300 as those cameras are entry-level models designed for beginners and casual use.

You might also want to look at the Nikon D7000, which is very similar to the K-5 II. You can get a D7000 with a 50mm, 35mm, and 18-55mm for about the same price as the K-5 II (or IIs) with the same lenses, possibly a bit cheaper (around $1000-1100 total). Canon's 7D is a bit dated, but you might want to consider the more recent 70D, though it'll run you a bit more. I guess it all depends on which system you want to buy in to as all 3 manufacturers' offerings are quite capable cameras

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The body you choose is one thing, but the kit lens is another!

The Pentax kit lens is regarded by many as the best kit lens around, but, I still would think twice about getting one.

What sort of photography are you into? There could be a better choice of lens for you.
05-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thinking of K5ii

Hi,

Back in the 90s, I was quite a happy shooter using goodold classic SLRs (mainly Yashica), but I have never owned a digital one. I cant stand taking photos with a smartphone anymore... so I am about to get my first DSLR! It will be a lot of fun My budget is limited, say, up to 800 euros / 1k usd (lens included). I am looking for an "all purpose" DSLR and I am not that much into video's.

I am comparing the K-5 II to other potential candidates, which are within the same price range, ie, T5i (700D) and D5300. (Of course, I could not avoid considering Canon and Nikon, resp.). I know that the T5i is not that new either, since it is about the same as the previous two generations.

So, would you recommend me the K-5 II over the T5i and D5300?
For all of them, I am considering their respective 18-55 lens kit.

Your inputs will be much appreciated!

PS. I am posting my doubts in this forum only, which -I suppose- should be likely biased towards the K-5 II This should tell you that I have already made up my mind... still, I'd like to hear you opinions! Cheers.

I went through this process in January and chose the K5ii. I have been very happy with the choice. One thing I did right was to chose a good prime lens. My family continue to be amazed at the quality of the images from the camera, and picking the right lens is a part of it.

I ended up buying the DA 50mm F1.8 and more recently the DA 35mm f.2.4. I think if I was doing in again, I would just buy the 35mm and then either a wide angle or telephoto prime. (However the 50mm produces beautiful portraits). You also can get good used K lenses if you don't mind doing some manual shooting. I picked up at Pentax M series 100mm F/4 Macro for $100 on ebay, its a keeper.

So really study the lens database on this site before you decide. You can make your money go a long way.

Good luck. I am sure you won't be disappointed with the K5ii, particularly if stills are you thing.

05-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of clarifying questions could be asked of you, but if the issue is simply which one of those three models to get, the answer is simple: get the K-5II.

I owned an earlier Canon Rebel and my brother still has one. They feel fine in the hand next to a cell phone, but pick up a K-7/5/3 and the difference in quality and ergonomics is obvious (to me, YMMV, etc etc. I'm sure pricier Canikons are well built.)

Nikon and Canon have the real advantage of being ubiquitous. If there's a type of lens or accessory you want, it will exist for those brands. But for general photography, Pentax won't hold you back.

That's the very short answer. I love my Pentaxes and have not at all regretted choosing the brand.
05-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your advices!

I will study more the options that Pentax offers when it comes to lenses.
Just realized that K-3 is not that much more expensive than K-5ii... I have just started thinking about the K-3 but, maybe, I am a noob and wont make any sense to spend more money on the body.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
What sort of photography are you into? There could be a better choice of lens for you.
I used to be in: street photos, portraits, nature. But I will love to explore new horizons...
05-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi,

I was in your position an year ago, all the veterans of this forum advised me not to spend on camera body.

Later you realize good pictures are taken by the one holding the camera and quality glass. Invest in lens. Whichever system you go for.

Not all Pentax lenses are cheap as well. You can find a 50mm prime in Canon for 100-150 USD, not in Pentax.

Let me tell you this K-5, K-50, K-500 and K-5 II - Sensors are ALMOST same sensors if not identical.

Take a look here: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-500 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I bought my K-5 II for around 800 Euros with SD Card and Bag.

If you will buy camera - wait for the seasonal sale in Europe, every company does it. Specially Pentax you can get 100 Euros off.

In the end its your money You will buy a K-5 II I know it :P

Cheers!

---------- Post added 05-12-14 at 11:17 AM ----------

K-3 is a different game altogether! None of the cameras mentioned above come in that class - Except Canon 70D "maybe"...

05-12-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Glass versus Body on K5ii

When spending the money I decided to go with the K5ii, rather than the K3. It was a tough decision, but I could only afford the camera and one good lens at the time, so that was it made for me. It was a good decision, as I add more lenses that I intend to keep, I have a good body to work with.

If at some point an upgrade is in the future, then the K3 would certainly be a bonus, but you will compromise your pictures if you don't have the best glass you can afford to take them. There is a reason there is so much almost new zoom lenses out there on eBay, and what is the point buying an expensive camera and then not getting results because you put something in front of it that will unsharpen all your good compositions.

Took me a while to figure this out, but again, this site is a wealth of information. Not that I am only a "spec" purchaser, but if you try and buy lenses that have a rating of 8.5 or above, you will not be immediately disappointed by the results.

Also some of the the autofocus lenses in the new Pentax range are just amazing, along with the low-light capabilities of the camera. I have not used a flash, and don't intend to with the K5ii, you can take low light pictures like you won't believe with this camera. These two were taken in the first 100 shots I made with the camera, and the DA 50mm 1.8 prime.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
05-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't overlook the used market - the Marketplace here is a great way to save some money.

The K5 series is great, they're very rugged cameras and do well outdoors. I frequently have mine while walking the dogs, hoping to spot some interesting birds or other wildlife. Having a WR kit with the 18-135 means I can take the camera if rain is possible. These are far more capable than entry-level cameras, and you'll get more out of them as you learn how to use them more effectively.
05-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have been using the K-5II for a year and a half and never regretted it for a minute. When I decided to buy a DSLR the choice was between the K-5II and Nikon D7000. The things that made me go with Pentax was the SR which made it possible to use my old Super-Takumar M42 lenses and other manual lenses together with the weather seal and the usability (the way controls were placed and the way they handled together with general good feel).

I substituted the kit lens(-es) for a Sigma 17-70. A lens that I'm still very satisfied with. I have since then bought the DA18-55 and DA50-200 for the sole purpose of having a weather sealed unit. I only use the kit lenses in case of rain, snow or extreem cold. If I have known what I know today, I would have bought the 18-135WR instead, it's a much better choise when it comes to kit lenses.

Now I have also bought the K-3 which I must say has really lived up to expectations. I was convinced that it was better than the K-5II but I was surprised that it was that much better (except for noise levels at higher ISO). One thing with the K-3 is that it tend to put higher demands on your lens budget.

I still think that the K-5II is a very god choise, especially with the current price level and I'm sure that you would be very satisfied with it. Just take a moment to consider the K-3 (if the budget is there) and in either case, think about the choice of lens(-es).
05-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks again, much appreciated.

@Bengan: I am just wondering, is there a big difference between the kit zoom 18-55 (DAL-WR, correct?) and the better one, your 18-55DA? I have seen that there is also a kit 50-200 DAL, as well as the equivalent DA.

Cheers

PS I found a shop where the price for body + 18-55DAL-WR is just <30 euros more than the price of the body only.
05-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA and DA L kit lenses are the same optically.
05-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PS I found a shop where the price for body + 18-55DAL-WR is just <30 euros more than the price of the body only.
That's worth having for a WR lens. You can always look for other lenses later but you'll have one decent WR zoom. The only thing you'll want is an aftermarket lens hood if it doesn't come with one.
05-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to say that the quick shift and distance scale of the DA series is very nice to have, but the DA L ones are still very well built. (Plastic bayonet doesn't bother me for such a light lens.) For <€30 as you say, go for the DA L.
05-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks again, much appreciated.

@Bengan: I am just wondering, is there a big difference between the kit zoom 18-55 (DAL-WR, correct?) and the better one, your 18-55DA? I have seen that there is also a kit 50-200 DAL, as well as the equivalent DA.

Cheers

In my world (or part of it) the kit lenses are the DA family. I have no experience with the DA L ones. As far as I can read the DA L's are simpler, with plastic mounts but optically similar.
I personally wouldn't spend 30 euros on a DA L 18-55. I would save the money for a better lens, but that is me. It's a good idea though to get at least one WR lens.