Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #1

K5 to k3 decision

I'm currently wanting to upgrade from a K5iis to the new k3. I've been very happy with the k5, but would like the increased functionality and resolution of the k3. My only concern is the related to the lockup up issues I've seen discussed. How much of a problem has it been and should this be a wait and see issue. So far, from reading threads it isn't a pervasive problem. What to do?

05-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd be (and am) more concerned with the inferior low-light performance/high noise issues that the K3 allegedly suffers from vs. the K5 variants.

I have the K5II and aim to wait for whatever comes next in the K range after the K3. Next model upgrades normally only bring very minor benefits in my view, but it's your money
05-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not had lock ups on my K-3.
I think you mostly will hear from those with problems but there are silent majority with no lockups.
Check the serial number database.

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 07:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I'd be (and am) more concerned with the inferior low-light performance/high noise issues that the K3 allegedly suffers from vs. the K5 variants.

I have the K5II and aim to wait for whatever comes next in the K range after the K3. Next model upgrades normally only bring very minor benefits in my view, but it's your money
This a bit exaggerated IMO.
Any additional grain from the 24 mp sensor is very easy to fix in post.
For me the improved performance,AF, dual slots were a huge reason to upgrade.
I went from K-5 classic, if I had just bought a K-5iis maybe I would have felt differently.
05-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't had lock up either but I haven't really done a whole lot of time-lapse. I had my old K-5 lock up on me a couple time from regular use. Noise really isn't an issue unless you are viewing the image at 1:1 size.

05-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My K-3 is a big step up from my K-5. I hardly use the K-5 anymore and will likely sell it. It's a great camera but the K-3 is better.

In real use, I have not noticed the K-3 to be inferior to the K-5 in any way, and that includes low light. The K-3 focuses more confidently in low light and the extra 'pickles helps cropping and NR.

The mirror flop issue should only be a concern if you shoot a lot of time lapse. I've tried to invoke it on mine and could not.
05-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It's harder to find people who've upgraded from the K-5 IIs to the K-3, but maybe some will add to this discussion. Even the K-5 IIs was a worthwhile upgrade over the K-5, so of course the K-3 is. But is it a good upgrade from the K-5 IIs? That's what you're asking, and I can't tell you yet, having only the K-5 and K-5 IIs.

We're all trying to help, but most of us skip a generation, so it's hard.
05-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded from the K5II (not the S) to the K3. The K3 is better in every way except noise. The 5 cleans up better all the way up to ISO 12800 on some shots. The 3 is fine up to 1600. Above that it doesn't clean up nearly as well. YMMV.

05-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I wouldn't hesitate based on the mirror flopping unless you plan to do multi hour interval shooting. It's happened to me twice, with the same lens, da12-24. Very rare, and while I'd rather it didn't happen, not an issue.

I moved from the K-5 to the K-3. The autofocus and speed of operation makes it worth while. Image quality is better as well. The image quality and autofocus was much better K-5iis vs K5. The biggest change you will see is the speed of operation.
05-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. The discussion has been very helpful. I have been very happy with my K5iis and will retain as a second camera if I go with the K3. The only complaint I've had with the k5iis is that it periodically hunts for focus on macros plus I did have some consistent slightly out of focus issues when it was new, but had it and my lenses sent out for calibration and it has been fine since.
05-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote

To JohnX
The low light performance of the K3 matches or slightly exceeds the K5 series. The noise performance is virtually identical when viewed at similar resolution. In those two points they match in just about all other areas the K3 is quite a bit better.
I enjoy the increased resolution the K3 provides. The only area that could be nitpicked might be the slightly better DR of the K5. But frankly the difference between these two cameras is negligible - the performance is very good with the K3, marginally worse than the K5 but the K3 is still ranked very high relative to its competitors.
So as an owner of both the K5 and K3 I find I don't share your worries at all.
05-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own a K5 II (not s) and a K3 and I don't find much difference with regard to image quality, except that the K3 definitely has a little more resolution. As to the mirror flipping issue, I have only had it happen once with an off brand battery that was pretty low on charge.

With regard to operation, the K3 is definitely speedier and quicker with regard to operation.