Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am confused about the battery level indicators

This is a weird and totally absurd question coming from someone (me) having been using the K5 for years !

Today, for my very first time, the battery level indicator was showing low then got "in the red" zone ... battery almost depleted, which is fine since I have been shooting quite a lot lately without recharging the camera battery AND the battery in the grip.

Anyway, this is what I found when going into the menu ... "battery" ... etc:

1. Camera set: "Auto Select" where priority is given to the battery with the most remaining power. (default setting)
2. battery level indicator for the camera shows almost depleted (normal -- it has not been recharged for a while)
3. battery level indicator for the grip shows a small battery icon with a slash across it ???

So, is this normal behavior and why is this small "slashed" battery icon appearing in the menu ?

Thanks for any explanation for that.

JP

06-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's quite easy to insert the grip battery backwards on accident. Is that what happened? Make sure the power contacts are facing the right direction.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's quite easy to insert the grip battery backwards on accident. Is that what happened? Make sure the power contacts are facing the right direction.
I am sure that the battery in the battery grip is always inserted the proper way ... pretty hard to miss the markings inside the grip part where it shows the position for the battery.

As a note:
I have placed the batteries in the battery chargers (one for the camera -- one for the grip) and the one for the battery grip is already charged only after a few minutes, which means that there was still plenty of power for that battery.
The camera battery is still charging though, as one would expect.
Both batteries are Pentax OEM types.
06-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax or aftermarket grip?

06-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
Pentax or aftermarket grip?
Pentax "everything" !

JP
06-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I only ask, because my Meike grip on my K5 does some weird stuff, especially when it gets hot outside.
Since you're using Pentax, check to see if the pins between the body and grip are all standing tall. I had a Pentax grip for my K10D and had to drop some alcohol in the pins and work them in and out to clear some gunk out (had same issue you're having).
06-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

You write that the one for the battery grip was fully charged after a few minutes, I'm not sure that it means that it was fully charged. It could mean that the battery has gone bad and can't be charged any more. Have you tried all batteries directly in the camera to see if they are ok?

If the batteries after all are ok then buy six AA batteries and see how the camera behaves if you use those in the battery grip instead.

Last edited by siamthai; 06-29-2014 at 09:46 PM.
07-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
I only ask, because my Meike grip on my K5 does some weird stuff, especially when it gets hot outside.
Since you're using Pentax, check to see if the pins between the body and grip are all standing tall. I had a Pentax grip for my K10D and had to drop some alcohol in the pins and work them in and out to clear some gunk out (had same issue you're having).
Yes I checked that right away when I noticed the weird behavior ... if that is one.
All contacts and pins in good order.

QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
You write that the one for the battery grip was fully charged after a few minutes, I'm not sure that it means that it was fully charged. It could mean that the battery has gone bad and can't be charged any more. Have you tried all batteries directly in the camera to see if they are ok?

If the batteries after all are ok then buy six AA batteries and see how the camera behaves if you use those in the battery grip instead.
Well, the way I see it is that the battery in the grip had not been used one bit, in spite of the camera set for "auto select".
Now, why would it show full if it had been unable to charge ??
I will take the grip off, use the 2 batteries in succession and see what happens.
I have never tried the grip with AA batteries but willing to test it ... why ?

07-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
one for the battery grip is already charged only after a few minutes,
The camera is only measuring voltage (potential) not capacity (amperage).
A battery could deliver the correct voltage but not have the capacity to do any work - it happens all the time with car batteries.