Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Is this due to COMS contamination? (K-5)

Dear All,

I am a K-5 user and I got it in 2012 from a user who bought it from Amazon.
Everytime when I take the pictures in national park, I can see a fixed position dot in the sky.
Originally, I thought that it's from the dust on the sensor or lens.
However, after I cleaned the sensor and lens with high purity Ar within chemical lab hood, I still can see it at the same place.
The attached pictures was taken by two different lens. (16-45 and 10-17)
If the dot is due to the dust on lens, it should show differently with different lens.

Then, my friends told me the contamination issue of K-5.
I checked the news and thought it should only happen for the first batch of K-5 produced in 2010. Since the last user got it from Amazon in 2012, I guess my K-5 should be out of this issue.

Could you help me to check my pictures?

If this is real the contamination issue, could I still ask the service from the company?
Does anyone has this experience?

Thanks

Kevin

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks a lot like a dust spot. It might be stuck somewhere else, like on the backside of the lens or on behind the AA filter (as impossible as that may sound).
Some K-5 cameras did have the sensor stain issue, not sure how it was resolved. According to some internet posts, cameras with serial the number starting above 39xxxxx don't have this problem.
07-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nah, that's just dust

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't look like stains, zo probably just a dustspot. My K-7 had a spot under the AA-filter, so not removable. It can happen, but should be on all images.

07-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Probably dust or particle

I have had something similar on my K-5II. It was in fact a particle on the sensor. It could be seen with the mirror up and with a little effort it was removed with a blower. A particle that gives the spot in your pictures should be wisible, at least with some kind of magnifier. Particles can stick pretty hard to the sensor and in worst case you might have to use some kind of mechanical cleaning.
07-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just dust. Set the aperture at f/22 and take a picture of an even blue sky, it will be easy to see. Air should remove dust in most cases though using a camera blower is much safer than canned air or compressed air of any sort (IMHO). However, if blowing it with air did not remove it you might need a wet cleaning with sensor cleaning swabs. Sometimes the 'dust' can be a pollen grain or something that is sticky and it just will not come off with air.

Also make sure the camera's dust removal system is turned on. I have mine set to run at startup.
07-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You will probably need to use more than compressed gas to get rid of it though. Get some sensor swab and sensor cleaning fluid.

And I doubt it's a stain since it's shape (or sharpness) varies.

07-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies!
Any recommendation for the sensor swab and sensor cleaning fluid?
I can find the Kimwipe and pure alcohol (water free) in lab, is it fine to use them for sensor cleaning?
07-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanokevin Quote
Thanks for all your replies!
Any recommendation for the sensor swab and sensor cleaning fluid?
I can find the Kimwipe and pure alcohol (water free) in lab, is it fine to use them for sensor cleaning?
Use the Pentax sensor cleaning kit, not just because it has the Pentax name on it, but because it's actually one of the better sensor swabs.
07-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanokevin Quote
I'm not sure about pure alcohol, I'll let other members with more experience answer this one.

The fluid I'm using is called Eclipse and so far it's been good to all my camera. The bottles says it contains Methanol (no concentration or other chemical listed) if that can help.
07-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cleaner?

Hello Kevin, welcome to the Forum!
Yes, the sensor has dust on it. This is a fact of life with interchangeable-lens digital cameras, happens quite often. The occasional speck will be stubborn (looks like you have one!) but usually they come off with a blast from the Rocket Blower.
Here's what I use, pre-wrapped and moistened, a four-pack for $14.00.
Photographic Solutions Sensor Swab Plus with Eclipse PE2C B&H
That should do it!
Ron