Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 04:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 II E-dials ?

I have been going through the manual for my K-5 II and everything is pretty straight forward. One subject I'm having difficulty trying to get around is the customization of E-dials. Can somebody explain to me in plain English what the customization of E-dials is all about and why would anyone want to do this ?

07-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I have been going through the manual for my K-5 II and everything is pretty straight forward. One subject I'm having difficulty trying to get around is the customization of E-dials. Can somebody explain to me in plain English what the customization of E-dials is all about and why would anyone want to do this ?
Have a look at this page which shows the options on the K-5. (Scroll about half way down the page.) Pentax K-5 Review: Full Review - Modes
I've never felt the need to fiddle with this, but the idea is that you can specify what the wheels do in certain settings of the mode dial. Allows quite a bit of customisation really.
07-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

When you turn your K5 ll on initially it shows what mode your camera is set to and what controls the front dial, rear dial and green button are set to control or not to control. The E-dial programming allows you to customize what these dials and green button control in the various modes from P to to Video recording for each mode, coupled with the AE-L in M mode. A couple things you need to understand is first your Program Line. Program Line sets the initial exposure settings based on what mode setting is selected from Auto to MTF ( best sharpness) and what the cameras metering on so any time a dial or button is selected for PLine the exposure settings will default to the initial optimum exposure for that metered selection.(see the manual) The second thing is utilizing the dials for Hyper Shifting giving more latitude for exposure customization. By utilizing the dial setting combinations the E-dial programming allows one to use the dials and button combinations in such a way to give more control in shifting the Aperture, Shutter, ISO or EV compensation quickly and easily while maintaining good exposure combinations.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-24-2014 at 06:08 AM.
07-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks ! I got a better understanding now.