Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-5 II Fousing points

My K-5 II allows me to choose 3 different focusing point options. Auto, Spot and Manual select. I don't have any problems with Auto and Spot. Auto = the camera selects the focusing points automatically out of 11 points. Spot = one middle focusing point is selected. The problem comes in when I choose Manual Select.

When I do this an Info Screen is displayed on the back LCD of the camera with a small area that displays the position of the available focusing points, 11 in all.

By moving the arrow keys you can select the exact position of the focusing point in the viewfinder. After I select my focusing point I hit the OK button and I am ready to shoot.

So far so good. Now suppose I want to change the White Balance settings, or the Rendering settings, which use the same arrow keys that I used to select the focusing point ?

When I press any of the arrow keys the focusing point which I selected previously now moves to a different position ? I don't realize this until I start shooting again and notice that the focusing point has moved.

Is there anyway to prevent this or is this how this works ?

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-25-2014 at 02:09 PM.
07-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

you can choose the point and hold Ok for a second
07-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I'll try it !
07-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you press and hold ok for a couple seconds it toggles back and forth so you can use the arrow keys as normal for WB, drive mode etc.

07-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Na Horuk is correct.

Hold OK, for a second...if you are looking at the LCD, you will see that the highlight will change from the focus point selector to the Drive options (WB, Flash, Single vs Multiple Exposure...hmm can't think of the fourth option, havent had a K-5II for a few months now.)
07-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody.
07-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If there was one flaw in the ergonomics of the K-5 series, I think this would be it. I'm not a fan of anything where the behavior is a function of how long you hold the button. When I am working fast, the 2 seconds (or whatever the duration is) needed to toggle modes seems like an eternity. I would have much rather those were separate buttons. For this reason alone I usually just go with the center point focus and recompose method.

On the plus side, there is an indicator on both the rear LCD (if enabled), as well as in the viewfinder. They are not particularly obvious though.

Behavior was improved on the K-3, for what it's worth.

Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like "Pentax is doomed". I still love my K-5.

07-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Why bother with switching at all... I use 5 point and keep my focus point in the center and the camera set to use the modes on the dial. The key is to lock your focus and compose instead of fiddling with trying to compose then select a focus point. You can lock with maintaining a half shutter press but I find that a PITA. By switching to utilize the back AF button and shutting off the half shutter focus gives one the freedom to focus lock on what one wants and dial in the metering, lock it with AEL and take the shot not having to be concerned with the possible letting up on the shutter button and having the camera refocus. Also keeping the camera set to AFC and using the back AF button you can keep it depressed for tracking moving subjects , releasing it locks the focus.
07-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Why bother with switching at all... I use 5 point and keep my focus point in the center and the camera set to use the modes on the dial. The key is to lock your focus and compose instead of fiddling with trying to compose then select a focus point. You can lock with maintaining a half shutter press but I find that a PITA. By switching to utilize the back AF button and shutting off the half shutter focus gives one the freedom to focus lock on what one wants and dial in the metering, lock it with AEL and take the shot not having to be concerned with the possible letting up on the shutter button and having the camera refocus. Also keeping the camera set to AFC and using the back AF button you can keep it depressed for tracking moving subjects , releasing it locks the focus.

Actually I learned that the less focusing points the easier and faster it is for the camera to focus. The Manual Select comes in handy for example if you are shooting assembly line portraits. It is better to have the focusing point at the top vertical positions where most subjects faces and eyes are going to be rather than to fiddle with recomposing.
07-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Actually I learned that the less focusing points the easier and faster it is for the camera to focus. The Manual Select comes in handy for example if you are shooting assembly line portraits. It is better to have the focusing point at the top vertical positions where most subjects faces and eyes are going to be rather than to fiddle with recomposing.
I would agree if one were in a studio, using a solid back drop and using a deeper depth of field this would work just fine. However for other portrait purposes where controlling ones depth of field and sharpness is critical it would be better if using a K3 with it's 27 focus points or another brand of camera with even more focus points, such as a Canon with 40 focus points , not less like having 5 or 11, to accurately be able to achieve the exact composition one wants while using the focus points for critically sharp focusing on areas such as the eyes. There is a purpose for utilizing anything on ones camera for certain situations. I find for my general most used photography I accomplish a lot more by keeping my camera set to AF.C using center point back button focusing instead of using shutter button AF coupled with using the focus points. That it not to say at times I don't use them however rare that may be.

If what you use works for you then that is what is important no matter what others opinion or how someone else uses theirs. I just happen to be a proponent for using back button AF.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-27-2014 at 07:14 AM.
07-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, back button AF.C with manually selecting the focus points is my usual mode of choice. In any case, it's nice to have so many options available.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
If there was one flaw in the ergonomics of the K-5 series, I think this would be it
Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like "Pentax is doomed". I still love my K-5.
Nah, it's more the truth you're speaking than doomsaying. The fact that new threads about how to select the AF point on k-5 series cameras come up very frequently is an indication that it's not an obvious or user friendly control. It would be nice if we had the option to disable the "long-press" and just make the ok button toggle between selection modes and disable the 'return to centre point' function (something I wouldn't miss, ymmv), or even the option to put the toggling on the Raw/Fx button instead.

Also, like you, I'm still plenty happy with my k5iis and it's available customizations.