Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Occasional incorrect date recorded

This is weird. Camera is a K-5

I've had a few instances over the past few months where the date recorded in the EXIF data is incorrect - by a huge margin.

For example, I was out doing some photography last night and most pics were recorded with a date 7/09/2014 (7 Sept for US readers).

But one of the pics I took last night had the date 19/07/2041 (19 July 2041) - yes, 2041, not 2014. The time appears correct but the date is well off. I've had this before.

The next image in sequence had the date of 19/02/2008 but the time was out by several hours.

The following images were correctly labelled.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I don't know if this is any way connected but I've been having a lot of problems recently with the camera refusing to take the pic unless I switch to Green mode. I usually shoot in P, Av, or Tv. The camera focuses, green hex flashes, but the camera won't fire.

I'm on holiday at the moment so I need to download the manual to read it to get ideas but I'll accept anything from our learned brethren.

Ron

09-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

I am sorry to hear about the troubles. I am not sure that it will solve the issue(s), but I would suggest strongly a hard reset of the camera settings:

-take off the battery for at least 24 h
- charge fully the battery.
-restart and reset all settings incl. date and time.

Hope that it may work for you.
09-08-2014, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
But one of the pics I took last night had the date 19/07/2041 (19 July 2041) - yes, 2041, not 2014.

I'm on holiday at the moment
Who's your travel agent?
Sounds like they booked you a really exotic trip!
09-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Who's your travel agent?
Sounds like they booked you a really exotic trip!
The Doctor and we are travelling by Tardis.

Ron (annoyed that I missed the first episode with the new Doctor Who and hoping I can download it when I get home)

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2014 at 16:48 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I am sorry to hear about the troubles. I am not sure that it will solve the issue(s), but I would suggest strongly a hard reset of the camera settings:

- charge fully the battery.
-restart and reset all settings incl. date and time.

Hope that it may work for you.
I should have mentioned I've had a couple of instances of the camera locking up and requiring the battery to be removed to reset the camera. Turning it off at the switch doesn't work.

09-09-2014, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Just use the sonic screwdriver to adjust the camera.....
09-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I've recently returned from a European cruise vacation and I had a few pictures come through with the 2041 date as well (K5II). I assumed it was a glitch caused by my O-GPS1 unit not being fully tuned to the satellites. I had just bought the GPS and this was the first real trip trying to tag photos with the location. Still haven't finished setting up my programs to use the info so I don't know if there are any other GPS related issues.
Possibly you had an O-GPS1 unit attached? If not I guess I have a "future" problem also. (I never expected to travel to 2041 and back)
09-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I never expected to travel to 2041 and back
So did you check Pentax Forums while you were there,
and were they hoping for a full frame announcement at Photokina 2042?

09-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
Inactive Account

You know they were!
09-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Why so long ? The internal battery, unless on it's last legs, will keep the clock running for longer than that.
09-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's too early ! Not this century
09-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've recently returned from a European cruise vacation and I had a few pictures come through with the 2041 date as well (K5II). I assumed it was a glitch caused by my O-GPS1 unit not being fully tuned to the satellites. I had just bought the GPS and this was the first real trip trying to tag photos with the location. Still haven't finished setting up my programs to use the info so I don't know if there are any other GPS related issues.
Possibly you had an O-GPS1 unit attached? If not I guess I have a "future" problem also. (I never expected to travel to 2041 and back)
Hmm, a good thought and, yes, I did have an O-GPS1 attached (and I was in Europe - home now ).

But does the O-GPS1 overwrite the data from the camera's internal clock?

BTW, I'm using GeoSetter to show on a map, the location and angle of view of the images taken,
09-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Hmm, a good thought and, yes, I did have an O-GPS1 attached (and I was in Europe - home now ).

But does the O-GPS1 overwrite the data from the camera's internal clock?

BTW, I'm using GeoSetter to show on a map, the location and angle of view of the images taken,
I don't know exactly how it all works, but according to: Review: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews ,in the very first paragraph, it keeps the camera's clock up to date.
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know exactly how it all works, but according to: Review: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews ,in the very first paragraph, it keeps the camera's clock up to date.
The worldtime region must be correctly set, else the O-GPS1 will give you an incorrect date !
09-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
The worldtime region must be correctly set, else the O-GPS1 will give you an incorrect date !
I could understand a setting needing changing after travelling from New York to Venice. However, in my case, I got less than 1/2 dozen photos with a 2041 date randomly dispersed over three weeks and about 3000 photos. The only adjustments I ever made was the once a day turn on calibration. There were several days where I did not have a clear view of the whole sky when I initially calibrated that day (from a cruise ship balcony). If I ended up with a steady light I just proceeded for the day, if not, I'd recalibrate when I had a chance. Based on the very low percentage of 2041 dates, I'm really skeptical that it was caused by an incorrect calibration.