Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
HELP! K-5 auto focus issue and strange noise

When focusing on certain objects, it rotates to infinity and make an electronic noise every time you press the shutter release button, like its trying to rotate past infinity. It will make the electronic noise when pressed and will not try to focus, just stays at infinity. If I zoom in or out on the same object, it will usually focus, then when I go back to the focal length that was an issue, it will properly focus. The issue occurred infrequently at first, now it is happening many times a day. Usually occurs in medium to low light, rarely in good light, but never occurred in these situations the prior tens of thousands of pics. I have tried different lenses, its not a lens issue. The camera has ~75k actuations if that matters.

Any help would be much appreciated.

11/13/2014 Update
It's not the battery, checked with several. Not the lens, same issue on several. But today the issue happened in full daylight, previously it would happen only on interior lower light shots. Also, I noticed that every time there is a auto focus issue, the ring is out toward infinity or past and can't get back but makes a noise like its trying. If I select manual focus and adjust the ring back, then turn AF back on, it works fine until it focuses out toward or past infinity and it just can't get back.

Last edited by lknbigfish; 11-13-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: update
10-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Face you checked for front/back focus? Perhaps a global adjustment might be necessary. My camera used to do this with wide lenses like the 12-24 or 20-35, and a slight adjustment fixed the issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 is not the best in low light when it comes to focusing.
Have you tried cleaning the contacts?
10-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will try cleaning the contacts. Its not a light issue, I use the camera for work and have taken thousands of pictures in the same situation with no issues in the past.

10-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What firmware version are you on?
10-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First ... what lens are you using?
Next ... is this with all your lenses?
10-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I noticed it on my sigma 18-270, then checked my other lenses, same issue

---------- Post added 10-28-14 at 04:07 PM ----------

firmware 1.15.25.27

10-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Odd. So, only in poor light. My K-5's focus in not great in poor light, which I understand is a common issue. However, you say it's gotten worse. Seems odd.
10-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
and...yesterday i had the shutter hang once, then twice today. The shutter actuates but gets stuck, leaving the optical viewfinder black. turning it off then on resolves that issue.
10-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried the camera with a different battery?
10-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Have you tried the camera with a different battery?
I have 2 pentax and 2 wasabi, I'll try different batteries when it happens tomorrow. Had a pentax in today.
10-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lknbigfish Quote
I have 2 pentax and 2 wasabi, I'll try different batteries when it happens tomorrow. Had a pentax in today.
It would be good to see if a fully charged battery (different one to the one in the camera now) reproduces the same result. Good luck!
11-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's not the battery, checked with several. Not the lens, same issue on several. But today the issue happened in full daylight, previously it would happen only on interior lower light shots. Also, I noticed that every time there is a auto focus issue, the ring is out toward infinity or past and can't get back but makes a noise like its trying. If I select manual focus and adjust the ring back, then turn AF back on, it works fine until it focuses out toward or past infinity and it just can't get back.
11-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lknbigfish Quote
11-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
1.15, going to go ahead and update to 1.16