Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 12:06 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Myanmar with the Pentax K5II and 18-135 WR lens

The decision to buy the Pentax K5II and 18-135 WR lens was made in part as a result of my love of travel - I didn't want to be worried about not being able to get my camera out to take a key photo due to adverse weather conditions. I have since been to Myanmar and to Madagascar and although I have been lucky enough to avoid wet weather for the most part, there was a fair amount of dust and I've never had any problems with it getting on the sensor - one happy customer. Here are a few photos from Myanmar with my K5II and 18-135 WR lens...constructive criticism welcome

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
11-06-2014, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No criticism at all. You are doing just fine. Keep up the good work.
11-06-2014, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #3

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Myanmar and K511

Great shots...I was in Myanmar this past August with a K3 and WR lenses...the country is so different from Cambodia or Laos. Love your shot of the young monk with the begging bowl.
11-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Excellent shot, thank you for sharing. My favorite is the little monk.
I'm planning to go to Myanmar (even if i prefer the old name of the country : Burma ), i would like to ask about... the food.
I don't eat any fish or anything which comes out of the water, it makes me feel stupid, but i just can't eat these stuff, it makes me feel sick. Do you think than it's easy to travel around without the country in "backpacker mode" and find meals without fish in it ? I've heard than they eat a lot of seafood.

And, if you would share your feelings about that country, they are welcome
Regards,
Arno

11-07-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Excellent shot, thank you for sharing. My favorite is the little monk.
I'm planning to go to Myanmar (even if i prefer the old name of the country : Burma ), i would like to ask about... the food.
I don't eat any fish or anything which comes out of the water, it makes me feel stupid, but i just can't eat these stuff, it makes me feel sick. Do you think than it's easy to travel around without the country in "backpacker mode" and find meals without fish in it ? I've heard than they eat a lot of seafood.

And, if you would share your feelings about that country, they are welcome
Regards,
Arno
Hi Arno
I've been to Burma twice (2011 and 2013) - I noticed massive changes in the two years between my visits, there was a lot more traffic in Yangon and the queues for petrol that went on for miles had disappeared; there were also a lot more westerners!! - go as soon as you can because things are changing quickly!
I'm a bit like you, despite having traveled widely, I am still very unadventurous when it comes to the food! I don't actually remember a lot about the food but I know I didn't eat any fish whilst I was there so I am sure you will find something to eat that suits!
Enjoy your travels!
Nancy

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 01:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Great shots...I was in Myanmar this past August with a K3 and WR lenses...the country is so different from Cambodia or Laos. Love your shot of the young monk with the begging bowl.
Just wondering what your thoughts were on Cambodia and Laos? - I am thinking about going there next year?
Thank you
11-07-2014, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #6

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Myanmar and beyond

In response to your question, I give Laos and Cambodia a big thumb up. If you have the time and $s I also recommend Northern Thailand and Viet Nam from one end of the country (Ha Long Bay to Phu Quoc Island) We took 6 and 1/2 weeks to travel them. My only regret is that we only had 5 days in Burma. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Each country has its own feel and they are all worth the visit.
11-07-2014, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Nice portraits.I've recently upgraded to K5ii with the 18-135 WR from a Kr.How did you find it for landscapes/architecture?Heading off to the Philippines next week to put it through its paces.

11-09-2014, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice series of portraits.

I'm going to Madagascar shortly and the 18-135 will of course come along. As will the 55-300. Haven't yet decided on what primes to bring, but I think the DA 15, FA 43, and D FA 100 all have firm bookings.
11-10-2014, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nj1975 Quote
Hi Arno
I've been to Burma twice (2011 and 2013) - I noticed massive changes in the two years between my visits, there was a lot more traffic in Yangon and the queues for petrol that went on for miles had disappeared; there were also a lot more westerners!! - go as soon as you can because things are changing quickly!
I'm a bit like you, despite having traveled widely, I am still very unadventurous when it comes to the food! I don't actually remember a lot about the food but I know I didn't eat any fish whilst I was there so I am sure you will find something to eat that suits!
Enjoy your travels!
Nancy

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 01:31 AM ----------

Just wondering what your thoughts were on Cambodia and Laos? - I am thinking about going there next year?
Thank you
Merci Nancy
11-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 05:08 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Nice portraits.I've recently upgraded to K5ii with the 18-135 WR from a Kr.How did you find it for landscapes/architecture?Heading off to the Philippines next week to put it through its paces.
I'm thinking of visiting the Philippines in February so i would be interested in hearing about it and seeing some photos on the forum. I was pleased with the results I got of landscapes and architecture with the K5 + 18-135 WR lens combo too - I'll try and put some landscape ones of Madagascar up in another thread shortly

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

I'm going to Madagascar shortly and the 18-135 will of course come along. As will the 55-300. Haven't yet decided on what primes to bring, but I think the DA 15, FA 43, and D FA 100 all have firm bookings.
I was in Madagascar in May this year and had a lovely time - I'm going to post some photos in another thread. Hope you have a fantastic trip

Last edited by nj1975; 11-10-2014 at 05:09 PM.
11-10-2014, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your photos provide a warm, human view of the country. Nice work!
11-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

I've added some photos of my trip to Madagascar in May to another thread if you're interested...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/278621-travel-madagas...ml#post3015355 - have a great trip!

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 06:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Savoche, there is an example of landscape and some of some animals we encountered in a thread I've started on Madagascar - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/278621-travel-madagas...ml#post3015355