Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Changing settings during timelapse.

I have done several timelapse sequences with the K5, processed with LRTimelapse and Lightroom. I want to try and capture a sunset, which requires changing shutter speed during shooting. Once I start the timelapse shooting sequence I seem unable to change the shutter speed, or indeed any settings at all. Is there any way round this?

11-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What shooting mode did you choose for the timelapse, and what exactly do you want to change? Just EV, by changing shutter speed?
I think the best bet is to buy one of those time lapse timers, which you can program, mount on the camera, and then just let them do their thing. Hope someone with more experience chimes in
11-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by velvia Quote
Is there any way round this?
The only way I know of with your camera is to do the exposures manually and make the changes in-between shots. A programmable tethered solution would the obvious option if such existed. P mode with auto-ISO a wired remote/intervalometer might also work.

I own this unit:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/bower-lcd-timer-remote-shutter-...el-rclc1r.html

It would also allow manual changes between exposures.

Steve
11-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think P mode would be a good idea, maybe coupled with center spot metering and bracket the shots by 1-2 stops to make sure you get the most useful frame. Or that would fill up the memory card too fast ?

As for intervalometer I can recommend Pixel TW-282 RF, review HERE. Just make sure to get the one compatible with Pentax.

11-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What shooting mode did you choose for the timelapse, and what exactly do you want to change? Just EV, by changing shutter speed?
I think the best bet is to buy one of those time lapse timers, which you can program, mount on the camera, and then just let them do their thing. Hope someone with more experience chimes in
I'm shooting in manual mode, I just want to change the shutter speed at certain points, but when I move the front dial, nothing changes. I'm using the intervalometer on the K5, everything works fine when the light level is constant. I just want to be able to reduce the shutter speed as the light level falls. I'm using a 3 second interval, which gives enough time to move the front dial, but when I do that, the shutter speed stays the same.
11-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not shoot in Av mode aperture priority ? camera will meter at every shot, aperture stays constant shutter speed should change.
11-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Why not shoot in Av mode aperture priority ? camera will meter at every shot, aperture stays constant shutter speed should change.
Introduces flickr resulting from differing exposures due to minor changes in light (light clouds etc.).

11-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all who have posted on this. I have the answer from the LRTimelapse forum, I need to use an external intervalometer, because the camera settings are locked when using the internal timer.
11-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One observation... by changing the shutter speed to maintain proper exposure, camera will adapt to the diminishing light of the sunset. Are you sure is that what you want, considering it's a timelapse? maybe it should reflect the reality (which is less and less light). I guess you can do that in PP, but wouldn't it be more natural if you keep the settings constant? just wondering, never tried timelapsing myself.
12-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #10

I have the same need, but when i do timelapse of sunset or sunrise i want the aperture changed not the shutter speed...
This is the most common thing to do when shooting "holy grail" timelapses.

There is one program for this that works well on Nikon and Cannon cameras thats is called DSLRdashboard, but to pentax i cant find any solution to control this without putting my finger on the camera and (sometimes) destroying the timelapse with camera movement...

This is so frustrating, the thetering devices for a K-3 is the flu card as far as i know... And its completely useless in timelapse photography since you only can change settings in single shoot mode.
12-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
There's a third party dongle (well probably many of them) called Triggertrap that will do "bulb ramping" (varying the shutter speed over time) for time lapse. It uses your smart phone as the controller.

I always thought changing the aperture was more risky (in fact a manual lens with a fixed mechanical aperture is best for consistency) since it can vary a little from shot to shot. Of course that can be corrected in software to some extent but the more consistent it is to start with, the better.

If you do it in "phases" (not sure if Triggertrap can do that, but some controllers can) you can carefully add/remove a ND filter during the shoot to extend the dynamic range without changing the aperture.