Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Do I have a problem with my shutter button

Hello:

I have a fairly new K5 II that I purchased this summer. As of late I have been pushing the shutter button and it has been firing two times each time even though I don't have it in continuous firing mode.

Do you think I have a defective shutter button? Or, could this be some setting I have changed somewhere on the camera? I'm tempted to do a factory reset on the camera and see if the problem goes away.

It almost seems like it is working in bracketing mode, but I thought I had to set that function each time for that to take place?

Let me know what you think. I hope I don't have to send it in but it is still well within the warranty period.

I apreciate in advance any thoughts.

Cheers,

11-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is possible you just have a bit of dirt in the mechanism that is causing it to stick. This was fairly common on the k-x, k-r and some early k-5's.

Turn off the camera then firmly press the shutter button all the way down, repeat 20 - 30 times. Then turn the camera back on and try it. I know that sounds nuts, but Pentax users have been doing that with success for years. Exercising the button seems to clear whatever was causing the problem. I would not bother with a factory reset, it is a hardware, mechanical problem.

If this process does not work you might repeat it again but after that I'm afraid you will need to send it in for repair.
11-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is the camera set to do auto-bracketing by any chance?

Steve

---------- Post added 11-30-14 at 05:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaleagle12 Quote
It almost seems like it is working in bracketing mode, but I thought I had to set that function each time for that to take place?
No, it stays in that mode until you take it out.

Steve
12-01-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

I have had this problem with my K5, sometimes it would take two shots for one button press, I couldn't be bothered to send it back straight away I was going to wait till winter, when my K3 went back for repair I used my K5 again, it never took two shots at a time again!

12-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies - I will try the button press method when the camera is off. Otherwise, I guess I will have to send it in for repair - UGH!!!! At least it is still in the warranty period.
12-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

Hello:

I have a fairly new K5 II that I purchased this summer. As of late I have been pushing the shutter button and it has been firing two times each time even though I don't have it in continuous firing mode.
Cheers,
Same here, although it hasn't happened that many times - certainly not enough to warrant returing it back for repair.
12-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is the camera set to do auto-bracketing by any chance?

Steve

---------- Post added 11-30-14 at 05:17 PM ----------

No, it stays in that mode until you take it out.

Steve
Steve: Thanks - I went to the manual and it was set for multi-bracketing. I must have set it before and forgot to turn it off. I didn't realize it stays in this mode until you turn it off.
It's interesting that even though you have it in this mode, if you press the shutter quickly it only takes one shot, but when pressed it hard it takes three shots, (as I had it set for)
Sometimes it would only take two depending on how hard I pressed the shutter. Now that it is off, it is only shooting one shot with a press of the shutter button. Let me know if you have any thoughts on why it would only take one shot while in auto-bracketing mode with a quick press. I thought it should take three no matter how hard I pressed the shutter button. I'm still a little concerned that it is not operating the way it should with a quick press of the shuttter button while in auto-bracketing mode. I need to play some more with it to determine if there is something wrong or not. Let me know your thoughts.

12-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve: Thanks - I went to the manual and it was set for multi-bracketing.
Cool! That is much better than a broken camera!

Steve
12-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Steve: Thanks - I went to the manual and it was set for multi-bracketing. I must have set it before and forgot to turn it off. I didn't realize it stays in this mode until you turn it off.
It's interesting that even though you have it in this mode, if you press the shutter quickly it only takes one shot, but when pressed it hard it takes three shots, (as I had it set for)
Sometimes it would only take two depending on how hard I pressed the shutter. Now that it is off, it is only shooting one shot with a press of the shutter button. Let me know if you have any thoughts on why it would only take one shot while in auto-bracketing mode with a quick press. I thought it should take three no matter how hard I pressed the shutter button. I'm still a little concerned that it is not operating the way it should with a quick press of the shuttter button while in auto-bracketing mode. I need to play some more with it to determine if there is something wrong or not. Let me know your thoughts.

Under Custom Settings page 2 (the menu with the "C" for an icon), there's an option for "One-Push Bracketing". Turn it to "On" and it will fire the entire bracketing sequence with one click. When "Off" you need to hold the shutter down.

Also under the Rec. Mode Settings (the menu with the camera for an icon), page 5, there's a "Memory" option where you can have it remember or forget the drive mode when you turn the camera off.
12-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
BrianR - Thanks very much for the menu options. This explains the behavior I was getting when not pushing the shutter button down all the way while in auto-bracketing mode. I didn't realize that custom option existed. You don't realize how many options there are until you start running into issues like I had.

I really appreciate everyone's help here and am very relieved I don't have a broken camera. Now, all I need to do, is get better at taking pictures.

This is a great forum and fantastic resource for Pentax users. Thanks once again to everyone!!! Happy holidays.