Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
I believe I should say again that my approach is not to expose for the right, but expose for the highlights. Post production is reduced to a minimum, from my part. ETTR implies a deliberate under-exposure, with the intent of a recovery done in post production. Exposing for the highlights, implies that the exposure is correct (or at least very close), making sure that the part we decide it's going to be the "spot" - bride's face, dress, the white part of the flower, the diamond on the ring, etc. - with little to no corrections left to be made in post, other than some sharpening, or some local brush adjustments if that's the case. Sometimes even pulling down the shadows some more...
I think you are confused about ETTR. As I noted earlier it is intended to expose the highlights correctly, even a little over at the potential expense of the shadows. The exact opposite of what you keep saying. You are doing a lot of extra work with spot metering to achieve the same result that with ETTR could be done simply using the tools the camera provides. If done correctly the highlights should be right on and any post processing would involve adjusting the shadows if desired, or not if you prefer them dark.

---------- Post added 12-03-14 at 08:29 PM ----------

Edit: I see Steve already posted about this. In the end all that matters is the image resulting from the process. But I suggest you do some research on ETTR, on digital it provides much the same as what you are doing with spot metering with far less work.

12-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think you are confused ... with far less work.
Perhaps... I don't see where the word "work", comes from? Confucius, maybe? "Find a job that you love, and you will never have to work another day in your life"...
I would say less work in post. In practice is the same. Study the location - where is the light - adjust for the ambient, see where the highlights fall and adjust accordingly (aperture, iso, ss, location of light if possible - the subject, if placed in the right place/under the right light - natural or artificially added - will be perfectly exposed...
12-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
I would say less work in post. In practice is the same.
Ok, works for me. End result is all that matters.
12-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Exactly.

Kind regards.

Paul