Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 problems with hot-shoe mounted flash

The camera I just got today will not shoot at a shutter speed faster than 1/90sec, in PTTL unless forced into it via the X-mode. Using a Sigma EF-530 DG Super. Not the flash, as it works perfectly on my K-x with zero problems. Also, it locks itself into PTTL, and I can only get the flash to change settings once the camera's LCD goes black or camera is off. Once I do that.........I can then set the flash to any mode (manual, TTL custom/manual zoom, Slave, etc)...........it will then force itself into 180sec and not change shutter speeds when any of the auto exposure modes are selected. It will work in full manual, and somewhat in Hyper Program, but I generally hate full manual using flash, as it's too slow a process and takes alot of trial error and changing settings as light and scenes change.

12-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1/90? That sounds like something is set to rear curtain sync.

Regards,
--Anders.
12-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
Now, it seems locked in at 1/180sec while in AV, SV, P mode (unless manually selecting shutter in Hyper, but then f-stops change)...........the auto light meter just will not work while flash is mounted.

Last edited by nms_photog; 12-04-2014 at 03:27 PM.
12-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It depends on the amount of ambient light. The camera will attempt to balance ambient against flash if possible.

Steve

12-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Switched lenses.........and it's locked at 1/60sec now with all the same issues. And when shooting a longinsh exposure, even set to slow speed sync it always fires at the beginning of the frame, not at the end...............definitely about 90% sure it's some kind of communication error between the flash gun and camera. But it's not like I can try a different flash,,,,,,,,,,cause I don't have one and this shouldn't even be an issue!!!!!!!! I blame Pentax, as the research I delve into has thousands of complaints it seems about their flash issues!!!!!!!!!!! One thread poster was contacted by Pentax and was told unless he uses Pentax flashes, he's SOL. He switched to a different camera brand. He's not the only one either I gather.

---------- Post added 12-04-14 at 04:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It depends on the amount of ambient light. The camera will attempt to balance ambient against flash if possible.

Steve

And no..........regardless of light, when in a shooting mode where the light meter is suppose automatically set the exposure length, it never changes.........I can cover the lens or point at a direct light source and the light meter never changes the exposure. I can work around it, but I shouldn't have to!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by nms_photog; 12-04-2014 at 03:58 PM.
12-05-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
The camera I just got today ... I blame Pentax
Blame yourself first, then blame Sigma, then Pentax, then the world.

Read the K-5 manual again, study all your camera settings, check your flash settings, check all your hotshoe contacts are clean, try using your flash wirelessly using the built-in flash as a controller.

I have none of the problems you describe with my EF-530 DG ST on the K-5, by the way.
12-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I blame Pentax, as the research I delve into has thousands of complaints it seems about their flash issues!!!!!!!!!!! One thread poster was contacted by Pentax and was told unless he uses Pentax flashes, he's SOL. He switched to a different camera brand.
P-TTL is a very complex feature. Add to that the thousands who don't bother to RTFM* or the spec's or have an unrecognized gear malfunction. An OEM has no responsibility to provide hard- or software compatibility for non-branded gear. Perhaps Sigma has an answer.

Perhaps switching may be your best solution also?

* That's the FINE manual folks - it's written by the people that designed, tested and manufactured the gear by the way. Takes me more than one day to read and understand 'em but then I've only been readin' 'em for about half a century.

Last edited by pacerr; 12-05-2014 at 10:32 AM.
12-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Blame yourself first, then blame Sigma, then Pentax, then the world.

Read the K-5 manual again, study all your camera settings, check your flash settings, check all your hotshoe contacts are clean, try using your flash wirelessly using the built-in flash as a controller.

I have none of the problems you describe with my EF-530 DG ST on the K-5, by the way.

Done, done, done, done, and......done!!!!! But, you forgot.............check the batteries!!!!!!

After doing all the normal regular diagnostic checks, I decided to simply change the batteries. Solved 90% of the problems........amazing, as even though it fired and recycled fine, the contact voltage must have been just low enough to cause a communication error. Still not metering light all that great, and can't seem to get slow sync to fire correctly, as it stilll fires at the begining of the exposure, not at the end. So I'm sure there's still a compatibility issue here. Sorry for the rant, I wasn't even that big a deal and I wasn't all that upset until I started researching similiar flash problems here. I understand Pentax has no obligation for users of 3rd party equipment, but funny how this is a long and ongoing problem that thousands have aired. Now I can understand why so few studios choose Pentax. Of the three majors, we fal "WAY" behind in flash photography. Heck they're still stuck @ 180sec sync speed. But oh well, I'm still not going anywhere.
12-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

simply change the batteries. Solved 90% of the problems
Good that you found a solution.

On the subject of batteries, I feed my Sigma 530 ST exclusively on Eneloops. They are very reliable and deliver good flash recycle speed.
12-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
On the subject of batteries, I feed my Sigma 530 ST exclusively on Eneloops. They are very reliable and deliver good flash recycle speed.
As do I!!!
02-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
I have a different hot shoe problem.

My K5, with my Rokinon D900AFZ-PK, strobes when I attach the flash and it comes up to speed.
On the occasions that it does flash it is either highly over exposed or slightly under exposed.
No problem with the pop up flash.

Anyone know where I should start?
02-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mitsilad Quote
I have a different hot shoe problem.

My K5, with my Rokinon D900AFZ-PK, strobes when I attach the flash and it comes up to speed.
On the occasions that it does flash it is either highly over exposed or slightly under exposed.
No problem with the pop up flash.

Anyone know where I should start?
You have read the comments on Amazon.com : Rokinon D900AFZ-PK Digital TTL Zoom Flash for Pentax (Black) : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo?

If I had bought that flash and experienced your issues, I would return it and buy something else.
02-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #13

Thanks Sterretje
Having read the comments on amazon it appears that it is the flash which makes me feel better. Obviously a manufacturing fault but as I have had it three years and hads worked fine and until last week I cannot send it back - cost of return not worth it.
02-15-2015, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

It was not clear that you already had it for a while. Based on the link, you can check the contacts, they might not make proper contact anymore. Also, check for play when it's mounted, you might be able to fix that with a thin plastic layer.

You might also be able to use it as an off-camera flash; not checked the specs from that perspective.
02-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It was not clear that you already had it for a while. Based on the link, you can check the contacts, they might not make proper contact anymore. Also, check for play when it's mounted, you might be able to fix that with a thin plastic layer.

You might also be able to use it as an off-camera flash; not checked the specs from that perspective.
Thanks Sterretje. I appreciate your guidance