Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Your looking at the wrong photos.... The ones I commented on and he said the were the same distance are the two with the fire extinguisher which were taken approximately the same time. So your slightly off base with your comments.
We were looking at *different* photos. Neither one of us was looking at "wrong" photos.

12-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #62
Pentaxian

BC toad : Found your message -- many thanks -- well, I do not know enough about 'digital' to do that 'debug' thing and nobody else I know at Club knows either !! You are all experts there across the Atlantic !!
12-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Settings

QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
I've been testing the K-5 II, trying to get the 35 to focus correctly. I'm getting really frustrated with the focus (in)accuracy of the camera. I'm doing real tests and not using a chart - Christmas tree, kitchen stuff, my baby girl, etc - but it's getting frustrating that it sometimes focusses in front, sometimes behind... I feel like the camera isn't in single point, but in some kind of auto that I can't seem to get to grips with................. I'm starting to wonder if I did good switching...
If I was in your situation I would set the Autofocus mode to C (AF.C) and the Focusing Area to Center (rectangle with dot in middle) on your camera. Also make sure your lens is in autofocus mode "on" if it has choices. I have used those settings with both the K-5 and K-5IIs with success. The distance you are from your subject may make a difference being that if you are too close the object may become a blur for example.

I saw your post and just wanted to comment.

Happy Holidays!!
12-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If I was in your situation I would set the Autofocus mode to C (AF.C) and the Focusing Area to Center (rectangle with dot in middle) on your camera. Also make sure your lens is in autofocus mode "on" if it has choices. I have used those settings with both the K-5 and K-5IIs with success. The distance you are from your subject may make a difference being that if you are too close the object may become a blur for example.

I saw your post and just wanted to comment.

Happy Holidays!!
Thank you, and happy holidays to you also.

12-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #65
Pentaxian

You're welcome.
12-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #66

Interesting article for you...

Flugelbinder;
Have a look at this article. It might give you some added context to what is happening with your autofocus. The article is 4 parts long.
LensRentals.com - Autofocus Reality Part 1: Center-Point, Single-Shot Accuracy

All PDAF cameras when used with lens with fast aperature wide open need to have some micro focus adjust. Unless you are very very lucky out of the box. Some combinations work better than others.

What may be worth ruminating on would be what is the variation inherent with the screw drive system - I suspect that the screw drive is more accurate than a third party in lens drive (for many reasons) and more reliable than the SDM system. But I think one of Roger's key findings in his fourth article is particularly interesting:
" Older cameras don't have accurate enough AF sensors to take advantage of the new lenses' capabilities. Older lenses can't move their focusing elements with enough accuracy to take advantage of the new cameras' accurate sensors."
I would say that the 35 f2.4 falls into the second sentence. Although its not particularly old (2010 roughly) its plastic construction largely and not quite the same precision lens as a Limited lens in the same rough focal area. Although the 35 f2.4 uses screw drive it likely has less precision (more slop) in its drive assembly than does say a 35 f2.8 Limited or 40 f2.8 Limited. And at narrow DOF i.e. wide open it won't take much lack of precision in the drive assembly to lack repeatability.

So what does this mean? You have a camera body with an f2,8 cross type sensor and you are using spot. You lens is showing variation you don't want and can't correct for reliably. So get a better lens. Its very likely not the body.
12-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I guess they're cheap for more reasons than 'just' the plastic...

01-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #68

Something I do to check if I have focusing problems is with a ruler.
I put the ruler against the wall and a surface on a 45 degree angle and focus for center at wide open to look for front focus or back focus.