Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SD Card is stuck in my K-5 IIs. Help!

I have been using my new K-5 IIs for 4 months now and never had a problem with pushing SD card in or getting it out. Today it suddenly doesn't want to get out of the camera. Looks like I put little bit more pressure last night. When I press the card, nothing happens. I don't feel the click after which I release the pressure and let the card eject.

Any ideas here? I don't want to damage the card or the card slot trying to do something stupid.

01-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried wiggling it in the slot? I recall someone else posting about a stuck card and it ended up being a small piece of plastic from the SD card that had snapped off and was wedged in place. Try turning it slot down and wiggling it.
01-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Have you tried wiggling it in the slot? I recall someone else posting about a stuck card and it ended up being a small piece of plastic from the SD card that had snapped off and was wedged in place. Try turning it slot down and wiggling it.
Yes, I've tried that. It's not moving at all. Stuck real bad. I haven't paid enough attention earlier to know if card stays in the slot very snug fit or little loose to wiggle.
01-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
Yes, I've tried that. It's not moving at all. Stuck real bad. I haven't paid enough attention earlier to know if card stays in the slot very snug fit or little loose to wiggle.
Sorry. I just checked mine and its snug, very little wiggle. It does click into and out of place by pushing in but thats the main movement.

01-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only thought I have is if the card clicks in and out there may be something sticky on the SD. Maybe see if you can cut a strip off a note card and put double stick tape on it. If you could slide that against one side of the card maybe you could pull it out when you get the card to click up. A thin stiff plastic sheet would probably be a better choice than the note card but I think you know what I mean. Maybe pressing duct tape across the edge of the SD could generate enough pull to get it out. Just some thoughts.
01-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have some needle nose pliers you could try that but you might damage the SD card.
01-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
The only thought I have is if the card clicks in and out there may be something sticky on the SD. Maybe see if you can cut a strip off a note card and put double stick tape on it. If you could slide that against one side of the card maybe you could pull it out when you get the card to click up. A thin stiff plastic sheet would probably be a better choice than the note card but I think you know what I mean. Maybe pressing duct tape across the edge of the SD could generate enough pull to get it out. Just some thoughts.
I'll give this a try. Not sure if there's enough gap in the slot to slide anything inside.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
If you have some needle nose pliers you could try that but you might damage the SD card.
I'm not worried about the SD card at all. Just the card slot. I copied the photos using PC cable, so I'm at least good in that regard.

01-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at an SD card. There's a latch notch on the side opposite of the 'lock' switch. See if you can find something stiff but small diameter to slip down the side of the card. Very fine piano wire? Something a locksmith might diddle free?
01-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: The card finally came out during one of the tries. Fortunately didn't have to do anything special. Unfortunately, it was stuck because somehow my sd card is bent and broken. The card still works fine in my laptop's card reader as the bent part doesn't have to go in at all. May I'll use it as just a storage device (like a flash drive).

Thankfully the Amazon Gold Box Deal for SanDisk memory cards is still going on, so I'll order a new one.

Thanks everyone for the help.
01-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
Update: The card finally came out during one of the tries. Fortunately didn't have to do anything special. Unfortunately, it was stuck because somehow my sd card is bent and broken. The card still works fine in my laptop's card reader as the bent part doesn't have to go in at all. May I'll use it as just a storage device (like a flash drive).

Thankfully the Amazon Gold Box Deal for SanDisk memory cards is still going on, so I'll order a new one.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Very happy the camera is ok. Theres a killer deal on a 128gb card in the sales forum.
01-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good luck, that your card slot and camera is fine.
Take the matter up strongly with Samsung as normally cards have life time warranty.
I always use SanDisk - top class. The factory owner is from India.

Do note that people have got fake cards even on Amazon. eBay is notorious for palming off fake cards.
A friend got Gillette Mach 5 blades that were fakes.
Even camera filters can be fakes. I have seen plenty of them in shops too especially Hoya Filters.
Regards.
01-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Your SD card was bent and split. It got sat on. This is probably not the fault of your card maker. You were very lucky to get it out without damaging the card latch or contact pins, which would require expensive and time consuming repairs. I think I have seen 2 sd readers in cameras with damage, one to the latch and one to contact pins. These are much more reliable than Compact Flash cards, which are still used by high end cameras because of fast write speed. I've seen dozens of bent pins in cameras with CF cards. We're fortunate Pentax does not use them.

My rule is to always inspect SD cards for damage like that before I put it in, If I have to force it in, I stop and remove it. If it looks damaged, I discard it immediately so I don't inadvertently insert it again.
01-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

"May I'll use it as just a storage device (like a flash drive)."

I'd just throw it away. Who knows what other damage is lurking in it?
01-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Good luck, that your card slot and camera is fine.
Take the matter up strongly with Samsung as normally cards have life time warranty.
I always use SanDisk - top class. The factory owner is from India.

Do note that people have got fake cards even on Amazon. eBay is notorious for palming off fake cards.
A friend got Gillette Mach 5 blades that were fakes.
Even camera filters can be fakes. I have seen plenty of them in shops too especially Hoya Filters.
Regards.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowhands95128 Quote
Your SD card was bent and split. It got sat on. This is probably not the fault of your card maker. You were very lucky to get it out without damaging the card latch or contact pins, which would require expensive and time consuming repairs. I think I have seen 2 sd readers in cameras with damage, one to the latch and one to contact pins. These are much more reliable than Compact Flash cards, which are still used by high end cameras because of fast write speed. I've seen dozens of bent pins in cameras with CF cards. We're fortunate Pentax does not use them.

My rule is to always inspect SD cards for damage like that before I put it in, If I have to force it in, I stop and remove it. If it looks damaged, I discard it immediately so I don't inadvertently insert it again.
Yes I was lucky that card slot and camera is fine. This card came as part of K-5 IIs package I bought from Adorama. So I'm sure it was a genuine Samsung card. I must've bent it before putting it in the camera. I have tendency to keep my card in card reader slot on the laptop, while laptop keeps getting thrown around the house. I learned my lesson.

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
"May I'll use it as just a storage device (like a flash drive)."

I'd just throw it away. Who knows what other damage is lurking in it?
Good advice. Thanks.
01-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
Forum Member

Getting Camera card out of K5

Mine sometimes pops up just a little but not all the way out like my K10 does. It's almost as if there isn't enough force behind the "pop-out" mechanism. I have started carrying a pair of tweezers in my bag and then very very gently grab the edge of the card when it pops up and take it out that way. It was a real drag on an African photo safari when I needed to quickly change to a new card and continue snapping the action. The tweezers are now part of my normal "kit".