Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Mirror out of focus?!

Ok, something weird just happened to me a few hours ago.

After taking a photo the viewfinder would be out of focus (the photo is ok). The shutter sound is a bit different. If I take another photo, the shutter is much louder than usual, and you can feel the camera shake more, the photo is in focus and the viewfinder may or may not be ok. If it is ok, nothing else happens. If it is blurred, the mirror flops up and back again after a couple of seconds. Then the viewfinder is ok.

Had that maybe 10 times earlier, but now the problem seems gone.

Any idea? I had the mirror flop issue some time back, but it very rarely occurs. Maybe twice in 2-3 years of ownership, and some 50k photos taken.

01-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I wonder if the bracket holding the focus screen in has become unlatched. The strange sounds could be the screen bouncing in and out of place.

This page from Katzeye has links to removal instructions for the various Pentax DSLR models and will show you where the latch is located and how to reseat the screen.
Right now it feels like all is secure in there... But I haven't had the problem for hours. Will have to see.