Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
I'm getting some inconsistencies with respect to correct exposure with my K-5 IIs. I can never predict how exactly my exposure will turn out, most of the time the image is overexposed by half to full stop. My old K-x used to always underexpose by half stop, which was perfect for me. Now I have to manually dial the exposure down for some situations. I even have some back to back shots, where exposure decided by camera is completely different.

Am I missing some setting somewhere? What can be wrong here that's leading to inconsistent exposures?

How long have you had the camera ?

02-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
How long have you had the camera ?
About 4 months now.
02-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
I think this is the issue with my K-5 IIs. After your comment, I'm now noticing that it's indeed overexposing only under certain conditions.

Does the program line setting have any effect on exposure?
Sorry, but I can't tell you that because I never use that feature on the camera. Even if it does have an effect though, I don't believe it should produce severe results if that's what you're getting. In my case, the results were so off compared to other cameras I have and based on years of shooting experience that I had to conclude it was something up with the camera. All I can say is that if based on your own experience something doesn't feel right to you, then you should have them look at it. It didn't cost me anything because of the warranty, and they fixed something when it went in, so it was worth the time to send it out. Worst case - they send it back saying nothing's wrong which, at that point, you know it's likely something you're doing and not the camera.
02-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once in a while my K-5 II gets stuck on a certain aperture and I think its because I touched the focusing rings by mistake. Then I have to focus on some thing that will make the lens go through its entire turn and it resets ? I'm not sure if this is the same problem.

02-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think I need to talk to Pentax and see if I need to send it back. But I need my camera for upcoming 4-5 weeks, so I can't afford to not have it. May be after that.

Thanks every one for comments.
08-10-2016, 02:57 AM   #21

Hi, have been looking for answers for over exposure on sigma 17_50 f2.8. I know Pentax are prone to very slight under ex but this over stuff is a bit naff, goes against all that I have tried to learn over the years. People say it's me, I'm doing something wrong, nope. But what causes random shots, 10 out of about 50, to be totally naff is beyond me. Makes you wonder why you bother getting good cameras??
08-10-2016, 03:49 AM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmyjames Quote
People say it's me, I'm doing something wrong, nope. But what causes random shots, 10 out of about 50, to be totally naff is beyond me. Makes you wonder why you bother getting good cameras??
Jimmy - I've been using Pentax cameras for a few years now (K-7, K-5, K-3 and K-3II, as well as the Q and Q-7), and most of my digital photography has been with Pentax. I have the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 also, and I use that on my K-3 and K-3II regularly. I very rarely get under- or over-exposed shots, and when I do, it's because I'm not using the best metering mode for the task at hand. It is always due to some element of the scene that has thrown off the metering mode I'm using.

In complicated, high contrast and/or changeable lighting, or scenes where there is an abundance of very bright or very dark areas, I find a reliable method is to use spot metering and auto-exposure lock to meter on a mid-tone area of the scene that I want to be correctly exposed.

As always, if you have specific examples you can post with EXIF data, we can probably point out why the camera didn't meter as you expected in certain situations. Whilst it could be a camera or lens aperture issue, it's more than likely not

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-10-2016 at 04:12 AM.
08-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmyjames Quote
Hi, have been looking for answers for over exposure on sigma 17_50 f2.8. I know Pentax are prone to very slight under ex but this over stuff is a bit naff, goes against all that I have tried to learn over the years. People say it's me, I'm doing something wrong, nope. But what causes random shots, 10 out of about 50, to be totally naff is beyond me. Makes you wonder why you bother getting good cameras??
Sticky aperture blades on your 17-50 might cause inconsistent overexposure.
08-12-2016, 02:34 AM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Sticky aperture blades on your 17-50 might cause inconsistent overexposure.
The best way to check that would be to set the camera and lens on a tripod indoors in controlled lighting, and take multiple shots at several different apertures (ten shots at f/2.8, ten at f/5.6, ten at f/8 for example). Then, do exactly the same with another lens. If the overexposure problem occasionally happens with both lenses, there may be a camera issue. If it only happens with the 17-50 f/2.8, it could indeed be a problem with the blades sticking and not stopping down properly. If it doesn't happen with either lens, it suggests there's nothing wrong with the camera or lens, and the photographer's understanding of the metering mode in use may be to blame.

Not a scientific approach, but should be enough to "expose" the problem...
08-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #25

Cheers for that, I'll try that test, or like today take my pics and if they need to be altered do it on P.C. I can live with that.
08-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #26
Forum Member

Hello, BigMackCam may be onto something. My K5 did similar things, I tracked it down to a specific lens, and found that the shutter lever that goes into the camera body was "scraping" the side of the track it goes in. I bent it a little and the problem went away. If only "photographer's understanding of the metering mode" problems that I have were so easy to remedy! Good Luck!
08-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #27
Forum Member

oops

I meant the aperture lever. Good luck!