Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Freaky Highlights?

I'm brand new to Pentax but been shooting pix for many many years. I have been getting these weird sparkly highlights on many of my photos. I thought it might be a setting on the camera so I reset it to factory. Still occuring .. so I took this with the auto setting just to see what the camera thought it should do and I still get blown out highlights. The camera for the most part errs on the side of over exposed. Someone suggested that the issue could be a non stock focusing screen. I bought the camera used. Could that be causing the sparkles?

I posted the image here. Its pretty big

http://www.boriqualeather.com/IMGP1224.JPG

01-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Are you shooting raw? or jpeg.

---------- Post added 01-27-15 at 07:59 PM ----------

I just saw in your other posts you bought a Sigma 50mm macro..If you took your picture with that lens A diffuser for the light source is needed. My sigma-A 50mm does that in harsh light.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 01-27-2015 at 06:14 PM.
01-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is a result of harsh light. Under the conditions you're shooting with, a scrim would be very helpful. The dark subject matter with specular highlights from the texture of the leather create too much dynamic range. There is a member here who shared a bunch of product shots of jewelry. If I recall correctly the thread might be very helpful to solve your problem.

EDIT - Found the thread Here
01-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're using the K-3, make sure the high ISO noise reduction is turned off. along with any other automatic enhancement feature. if that corrects your problem, You can turn on one or two features at a time, to see which feature created the problem.

01-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
If you're using the K-3, make sure the high ISO noise reduction is turned off. along with any other automatic enhancement feature. if that corrects your problem, You can turn on one or two features at a time, to see which feature created the problem.
Its a k5 I peeked in his other posts.
01-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focusing screen has no effect on what the actual sensor sees.

Are you talking about the tiny specs on the subject (appears to be textured leather)?
That is just the shiny textured surface reflecting the light source.
As mentioned a more diffuse light (i.e. larger compared to the size of the subject) will help. Or a polarizer on either the flash or on camera might also help a bit.

It would be interesting to see another example. i.e. if you are see this on different materials with properties where one would not expect this behavior.
01-28-2015, 04:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Focusing screen has no effect on what the actual sensor sees.
True, however non-stock focusing screens are known to be capable of causing overexposure, in particular when using spot metering.

I would suggest to use manual negative exposure compensation and a softer light source. It would also make sense to check the metering mode and perhaps set it to matrix metering for scenes such as the above.

01-28-2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just looks like reflections off those parts of the polished leather that are angled in such a way as to reflect the light from the window (or whatever the light source to right of the image is) straight towards the lens. The light source is very bright compared to the general ambient lighting as can be seen from the bag's deep shadow on the table.

As others say, a diffused light source is really needed for such photography - one of those soft boxes cubes for product photography would help and the shot would also benefit from two light sources - one each from left and right to give more even lighting on the bag.