Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #16

Las Vegas...old stopping grounds. As many have said, keep your equipment out of the direct sun and not in a parked vehicle. That said, there are plenty of wonderful places to visit and photograph...yes Vegas itself, but head out to Boulder Dam (aka Hoover Dam), Death Valley, Mount Charleston (enough altitude to be "cooler"), Valley of Fire State Park (really red rocks at sunrise/set!), Bryce Canyon (worth walking down below), and Zion National Park. More then plenty to see along the way to any of these sights. Enjoy your visit and take plenty of water along.

01-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
103f? extreme heat? Pffft... That's just a nice summers day in some places

Seriously though I wouldn't worry about it. We shoot in temps like that all the time during the Australian summer. It's not a problem. Have you seen all the photo's taken of the Australian Open Tennis? It gets mighty warm in Melbourne in January sometimes (not this year though, for some strange reason) and all the hard surfaces and confined spaces of the tennis arena makes things even hotter. It doesnt seem to bother the 'togs who take the shots.

The only issue I ever had was when I left my camera on the back seat of a car in 45degC, (which is what? about 120f??) out in the outback, a place called Silverton. In the direct sunlight, windows up, without any air movement, it would have gotten into the high 50's C in there. The only effect it had on the K-3 was it seriously effected battery life. You will be fine

That type of information is really reassuring and valuable. Thank you.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hogdriver Quote
Las Vegas...old stopping grounds. As many have said, keep your equipment out of the direct sun and not in a parked vehicle. That said, there are plenty of wonderful places to visit and photograph...yes Vegas itself, but head out to Boulder Dam (aka Hoover Dam), Death Valley, Mount Charleston (enough altitude to be "cooler"), Valley of Fire State Park (really red rocks at sunrise/set!), Bryce Canyon (worth walking down below), and Zion National Park. More then plenty to see along the way to any of these sights. Enjoy your visit and take plenty of water along.
Thanks, I have been to the Hoover Dam, Mt. Charleston, and Red Rocks other times when I had visited there, and I had not brought my camera. If it was a cooler month, I most likely would not have asked the question that I asked, but I wanted to find out some real facts, and along with you and the other input, this has been really helpful. Thank you.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Ah, 103F ...barely warming up! Wait till you get to 43-44C (110-112F).

Seriously though, just don't leave camera or lens in direct sunlight for any great length of time where they can get a real baking. It you slip the camera out of its bag for a few shots and then pop it back in while you walk to the next point of interest, you'll be fine.

Also try to avoid leaving gear in a locked car in full sunshine for long periods. The interior of a car can get to 60C or more. A camera bag out of direct sunshine wrapped in a towel will stay reasonably cool for a hour or more, but eventually will start moving towards the interior temperature of the car.

And as Adam suggests, the worse part is the effect on the actual photos. Middle of the day when 100F+ means intense sun, lots of glare and flat photos. Beginning (up to say 10am) and end of the day (5pm+) are best when the light is softer. Birds are also likely to be quiet and out of sight in the hottest part of the day - they're not stupid when it comes to self preservation. First couple of hours after dawn are probably best for birds, or towards dusk when they come in numbers to watercourses or waterholes to drink. If you must have the 150-500 out in the midday sun for prolonged periods, one of those wrap around camo covers would keep direct sun off the lens and keep its temperature reasonable - you would want one of those whitish ones intended for snow rather than a dark colour.

A polariser filter can really help if you have to shoot in the middle part of the day. Polarised lens sunnies over your own eyes also greatly improve your own viewing when you aren't using a camera - much better colour saturation and contrast without any unnatural tinting that other types of sunglasses create.

More importantly, protect yourself with a wide brimmed hat and a quality sunscreen lotion - bad sunburn really does hurt (and not a pretty look to boot). And carry water with you - dehydration sets in reasonably quickly, even mild dehydration equals a headache and fatigue which I'm sure you can do without. Guzzling can after can of soft drink in those conditions isn't necessarily the best.

It was just starting to cool down from 45C (113F) when I took these photos at the end of the day a couple of years ago: A warm day in Adelaide | Photo Morsels
I appreciate your input, thank you.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I have used my K-01 and K10D in temps of 103F and better. No problems but I wouldn't leave them in a locked car in those temps. Just don't leave your camera anywhere it will "cook"!
Thanks, the real hands on information from some of you Australians is so, so, helpful. I appreciate it so much. The input from others has been very helpful too. It helps me tremendously when planning.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:20 AM ----------

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I would echo the comments of my fellow Australians. 103ºF isn't even 40ºC. Hot, but not extreme. I have shot several all-day outdoor music festivals in hotter weather with no problem with my Pentax gear. Far more important is to maintain your own hydration and sun protection.
Thanks Sandy, It is like I have gone shooting in about 100 degree Fahrenheit weather, but not on very many occasions. Tobe hearing advice from people like you that have hands on experience on a more regular basis is really valuable and reassuring.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendigitize Quote
I use my K-30 all summer long in Palm Springs where it's 110 degrees. Never had any problems.
Thanks, that is really one of the type of the situations that I was curious about. I appreciate it.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I doubt humidity will be an issue, but do be careful about hopping from an air conditioned car into the heat. Any moisture in the air could then condense on the lens (after all, a 70 degree car is over 30 degrees off from a 103 degree day) and cause problems. If you have a large enough lens, you could also get air circulation kick in inside the camera body a lens that could cause IQ issues as well as the camera acclimates to the ambient temperature.

Think of it as being the same as setting a cold soda can out on a warm day - it'll be the same effect, only less pronounced.
Thank you.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The camera can probably take it longer than you can.

Drink plenty of water and bring more water with you when you walk outside.
Thanks.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
In the past I didn't have equipment problems shooting in places during the summer around 110 F or so like the Mojave, Anza- Boreggo deserts or Death Valley. One thing is if you attempt to use Live View it can heat up real quick and shut off or at least that is what I encountered with my Oly dslr's. The heat wave pattern can be used for some pretty cool bokeh effect.
That type of information is what I was looking for, in that it is desert related as are some of the Australian comments I have received. Your hands on advice helps me tremendously. Thank you.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:37 AM ----------

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:40 AM ----------

I have received so much information related to what I had posted as this thread subject per my trip to Las Vegas. Knowing these things, I will be able to bring my equipment with the knowledge of keeping it safe and unharmed relative to the shooting conditions.

Thank you all a great deal for all of your opinions and hands on user advice.

Casey

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-31-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Typo
01-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
It gets mighty warm in Melbourne in January sometimes (not this year though, for some strange reason)

"Global warming"