Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dyoon153 Quote
If you are thinking for reasons to buy it, i think you don't need it that much.
When I first got one, I knew I needed it. I'd just taken 1000-2000 action photos in portrait orientation within a two or three hour time span. My arm simply got too tired. The next day I happily paid the full price for one. The grip makes a huge difference in this scenario. I seldom take my grips off now - they're like a part of my cameras. As you suggested, it really does makes your camera look more professional, and that matters to some people.

But before I started shooting action portraits I didn't really need one.

If you're unsure get this one - I got this for my second body. Well worth the price: Battery Grip For Pentax K7 K-7 DSRL D-BG4 - Newegg.com

The buttons are slightly less solid feeling than the genuine grip, and it doesn't have true WR. But other than that it's an exact duplicate - down to being able to swap battery trays between it and the real thing (I have one of each). Yet it costs only 1/5 the price.

Last edited by DSims; 02-01-2015 at 09:46 PM.
02-02-2015, 12:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I had a job once in Houston shooting High School soccer games for a guy. The standard gear was Monopod with 70-200mm mounted to the monopod with the tripod collar, and then a camera in portrait mode on the lens. The grip made all the difference shooting for 2 hours in vertical mode with the shutter button in the right place. Other than this, it's always been nice to have but not a necessity, for this it was a necessity.

SO for me the grip goes with the monopod. It's also nice to have the extra battery if you do a lot of video.
02-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
When I first got one, I knew I needed it. I'd just taken 1000-2000 action photos in portrait orientation within a two or three hour time span. My arm simply got too tired. The next day I happily paid the full price for one. The grip makes a huge difference in this scenario. I seldom take my grips off now - they're like a part of my cameras. As you suggested, it really does makes your camera look more professional, and that matters to some people.

But before I started shooting action portraits I didn't really need one.

If you're unsure get this one - I got this for my second body. Well worth the price: Battery Grip For Pentax K7 K-7 DSRL D-BG4 - Newegg.com

The buttons are slightly less solid feeling than the genuine grip, and it doesn't have true WR. But other than that it's an exact duplicate - down to being able to swap battery trays between it and the real thing (I have one of each). Yet it costs only 1/5 the price.

Newregg makes some pretty good products. I bought a timer from them and the thing works perfectly. I think I'll stick with Pentax though. I got to admit my K-5 II looks rather puny with the 50mm f 1.8 which is my smallest lens. Some people might not take you serious if you are shooting a wedding. Picture quality aside..
02-03-2015, 04:20 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is handy to have if you shoot with big lenses or, if you do a shoot where most of your photos are taken in portrait mode. As DSims says, it gets to be miserable ergonomically to hold your camera that way for an extended period without a grip. My wife has small hands and prefers a less heavy camera, but when she shoots weddings, she always has the grip on because it is easier over the course of a ten hour day to shoot with it than without out it. For short shoots it probably doesn't make a difference either way.

02-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
For me with my big hands, fast heavy glass a grips a must.
02-03-2015, 05:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Do I really need a battery grip ?
If you have to ask someone else what you need than you probably don't.
02-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
For me with my big hands, fast heavy glass a grips a must.
I don't understand, K.

Don't you hold the lens from underneath with your left hand, and the right hand relaxed?

02-03-2015, 05:13 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Don't you hold the lens from underneath with your left hand, and the right hand relaxed?
No I must be odd, all the weight is borne by my right hand, left hand free to do focussing (remember I'm still a manual man) and the heel of the left hand under the grip for steadying.

You don't want to see me doing portrait mode shots.

All the weight hanging down from right hand on top and that's me doing my best hunchback impersonations.

When someone once said develop your own style, I thought they meant holding the stuff.
02-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #24
Inactive Account

When someone once said develop your own style, I thought they meant holding the stuff.
That's partially correct. You need to be comfortable so you can be steady. If you're comfortable with your right elbow sticking up, then so be it.
02-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No I must be odd, all the weight is borne by my right hand, left hand free to do focussing (remember I'm still a manual man) and the heel of the left hand under the grip for steadying.

I'm still puzzled, Kerrowdown - left arm holding the lens from underneath is the traditional way of focussing, no?

(From SLRlounge.com):

02-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
If you're comfortable with your right elbow sticking up, then so be it
I think maybe it's a hang over from the film days when not all motor drives had secondary shutter buttons on them.
02-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm still puzzled, Kerrowdown - left arm holding the lens from underneath is the traditional way of focussing, no?
No your correct... the left hand is underneath doing the focussing thing, but in my case the left hand is not weight bearing or very little of it.

For me, the addition of the grip allows more height to the body so right hand pinky finger on grip, next two fingers on body leaving index finger for shutter and front wheel, thumb for back wheel. So all the weight of camera and lens is comfortably bourn by those three fingers of my big hands.

Also did I mention at all that I'm a happy bunny at the FF announcement.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-05-2015 at 04:10 PM.
02-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Also did I mention at all that I'm a happy bunny at the FF announcement.
Will some of your ladies be seeing any action with the FF?
02-04-2015, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Will some of your ladies be seeing any action with the FF?
As I posted elsewhere on the forum today following the announcement "My "Ladies" are all quite excited about getting mated or should I say mounted on this new offering".
02-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
Veteran Member

As I posted elsewhere on the forum today following the announcement "My "Ladies" are all quite excited about getting mated or should I say mounted on this new offering".