Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
so the focussing screen is always the same size as the sensor?
Incorrect conclusion It's the size of the pentaprism that determines that. Even within the APSc Pentax dSLRs, there are different 'models'. K10D and K20D e.g. use the same screen, but K5 uses a different one.

Last edited by sterretje; 04-11-2015 at 09:52 PM.
04-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #17

thanks for the clarification :-/

if that is the case then how it is possible to say the k-5 focussing screen will not fit the FF until the size of the Pentaprism etc is known?
04-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Common sense?

The bodies mentioned with a different sized screen provided less coverage -95% vs the 100% on the k3.

Smaller screen, smaller coverage. They may not be the same size as the sensor, precisely but there's a correlation between the two.

Can you imagine Pentax releasing a flagship model that had, what, 70% or so coverage?
04-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
there's a correlation between the two
thanks for the explanation!

07-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by norman j shearer Quote
Hi,
Okay I've just bit the bullet and bought a 2nd hand K5 and it's on its way. One concern I have is how the optical VF will compare to my Canon 5D for focusing legacy glass. I have an EE-S screen in my Canon and
really enjoy using an optical VF for focusing legacy lenses. Am I likely to be dissapointed with the K5 viewfinder or should it be similar?

I understand that if I open up beyond F2 I will struggle to nail focus with the standard screen but I can live with that. I have mirrorless cams that can fill that role. I think more often than not I will be using apertures of F3.5
and up. I have a Pentax K 28mm F3.5 lens that I loved on a K01 I used to have and I suspect that lens will be on my camera the most. I want the K5 for landscape/nature and street photography. Is the K5 metering likely to be out much with this lens? I'm not really interested in autofocus but if I did want a Ltd lens it would be in order to go wider and also experience the benefits of using the Tav mode.

I'm gonna miss my Canon 5D but it was too loud for street photography and the wider dynamic range the K5 offers was a big draw for landscape work.
QuoteOriginally posted by norman j shearer Quote
nefits of using the Tav mode.

I'm gonna miss my Canon 5
I might be a bit late on this post but here it goes. I shoot both Canon 6D (&550d) and Pentax K-5. They are all awesome Cameras.

The TAV mode is very nice, I do use this most of the time - you have creative control of your Shutter Speed and Aperture and the computer can worry about the ISO. You can also dial in exposure compensation. Now I could be wrong here - unless I've missed something on my K-5, this TAv mode only works with modern lenses (maybe A lenses as well - I don't own any of these). I cannot get TAv to work with my M, K or M42 mount lenses. With Manual Lenses mounted, selecting any of the program modes automatically changes the setting to Av.

You would prolly know though Canon is 1 up on Pentax with this. Using Manual lenses with Canon bodies in "Tv" or shutter priority mode and setting the ISO to Auto gives you "TAv" mode because you set the Aperture manually on the lens - it has worked like this for years. ISO adjusts automatically and You use the back wheel to adjust you exposure compensation.

I wish the new Pentax bodies will allow TAv with manual lenses - I'm pretty sure this is just a firmware thing.
07-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Your Canon can do that with manual focus EOS lenses, as the Pentax can do it with manual focus A lenses.

The difference is that the Pentax K-5 can use older M and K lenses, whereas the Canon 6D cannot use the older FD era lenses.
07-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r1ch13 Quote
Now I could be wrong here - unless I've missed something on my K-5, this TAv mode only works with modern lenses (maybe A lenses as well - I don't own any of these). I cannot get TAv to work with my M, K or M42 mount lenses. With Manual Lenses mounted, selecting any of the program modes automatically changes the setting to Av.
TAv will work with A series lenses, because the camera can control the aperture. Fully manual lenses will need you to manage that, and use M mode for the most part, either with green-button metering or old school like a manual film camera.