Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K7 to K5

I am at a loss here. I have been satisfied with my K7. Loved the increase in capability from my ist ds. I have been shooting with it for a couple of years now but have recently noticed that higher ISO noise is bothering me more than usual. I take a lot more photos indoors (have a 5 month old) and lighting is not always great so I have pump the ISO up to keep shutter speeds in a good range for good results. I did the comparison between the 5/5II/5IIs and could not really see much of a difference between them, to be honest. I do not shoot video so that is not to be put into the equation. I do shoot cars, both inside and outside, and now inside shots of my daughter. Looking for less noise and better AF, although I usually use MF. Lends used are listed in my signature but will soon include a 21 limited, probably a Tamron 90 (or maybe a 70 limited), and eventually a Tamron 70-200.

Looking for feedback here. K5s are much easier to come by than 5II and 5IIs'. A K3 is way out of my pricing range, and to be honest, I am quite certain I would not need something like it. I never print anything out larger than 8x10.

04-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only real differences between the K-5 and K-5II/S are the LCD and the AF module. The IIS lacking the AA filter. If you are shooting low light indoors the K-5 II might be better than the K-5 simply because of the SAFOX X AF module.
04-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
I am at a loss here. I have been satisfied with my K7. Loved the increase in capability from my ist ds. I have been shooting with it for a couple of years now but have recently noticed that higher ISO noise is bothering me more than usual. I take a lot more photos indoors (have a 5 month old) and lighting is not always great so I have pump the ISO up to keep shutter speeds in a good range for good results. I did the comparison between the 5/5II/5IIs and could not really see much of a difference between them, to be honest. I do not shoot video so that is not to be put into the equation. I do shoot cars, both inside and outside, and now inside shots of my daughter. Looking for less noise and better AF, although I usually use MF. Lends used are listed in my signature but will soon include a 21 limited, probably a Tamron 90 (or maybe a 70 limited), and eventually a Tamron 70-200.

Looking for feedback here. K5s are much easier to come by than 5II and 5IIs'. A K3 is way out of my pricing range, and to be honest, I am quite certain I would not need something like it. I never print anything out larger than 8x10.
Hi I had a K7 and was very pleased with it, but I was much happier with the K5. The high ISO image quality is much improved - in fact, at times, I find it better than my K3 (subjectively speaking). I can't say whether the AF is appreciably better with the lenses I use (and using only the centre focus point as I do), but it's at least as good and is generally fine - however, it ain't *perfect*. When I switched to Pentax some years ago, it was from a Nikon D40+ and low-end Sigma lenses, and the auto-focus was more accurate with that, in my opinion. Although I have a K3 now, I kept my K5 as it's a fabulous camera in its own right, and I still use it regularly. I think you'd like it.
04-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 is a great camera with much better noise control over your K-7.
The low light AF may not be as good as the newer II versions but if you are OK with your K-7 then the K-5 will work for you.
If you are wishing for better indoor AF then go for the K-5ii.

04-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I usually do not use the AF all that much. Focus points and all that seemed like an added step when I can just twist the barrel to get what I want. That being said, I am getting the hang of the focus points and buying DA style lenses so AF might be more used. From what I have seen, the K5II is about the same as the IIs. At least it would for my purposes. I guess I will keep an eye out for a II for the added AF improvement.
04-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-5IIS and the lack of AA filter makes the shots appear more grainy, similar to the K-3.
it's great for wildlife but requires a bit more PP for portraits.
I would get a K-5ii with the AA filter if I was shooting people mainly.
I miss the buttery smooth Image Quality of my old K-5.
04-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

K5

I have a K5 and a K30, I actually like the K30 better. If it was made as sturdy as a K5 it would be no contest. My Tamron 60-300 SP works better on it for sure. I have one of those KA mounts that has to be in the exact position to see the aperture # and the K30 is much more forgiving. Other manual lenses are OK just not the Tamron adaptall. The K5 is made like a tank but also lacks focus peaking for manual lenses so you have to press the info button to zoom in. The pictures on the K30 are immediately seen on the LCD after the shot, the K5 not so much.

04-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do not think I could step down to a 30/ 50. The one thing I could not do without is the top LCD screen.
04-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually do not use the AF all that much. Focus points and all that seemed like an added step when I can just twist the barrel to get what I want. That being said, I am getting the hang of the focus points and buying DA style lenses so AF might be more used.
If any of your AF lenses don't have quick shift focus capability - my Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.4 AL is a case in point - you'll want the AF to be as accurate as possible if you're going to use it at all. It's no fun switching to MF mid-shot and back again...

If you can hold out for a K5 II or IIs at the right price, go for it. That aside, the K5 is still awesome, and a worthy upgrade for the IQ alone.
04-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I do not think I could step down to a 30/ 50. The one thing I could not do without is the top LCD screen.
It's not a step down, more of a side-step upwards from the K-7.
I went from the K-7 to a K-50. Yes I miss the top LCD, quieter shutter and the solid build of a mag alloy body, but I'm over it now because frankly the brighter OVF, better IQ, low noise, speed of AF and low light capability is miles ahead. I get more keepers and it's more fun to use.
Plus there's Focus Peaking in live view which the K-5/5ii/5iis do not have.
04-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I went from the K-7 to a K-50. Yes I miss the top LCD, quieter shutter and the solid build of a mag alloy body, but I'm over it now because frankly the brighter OVF
On the subject of the OVF, for both confirmation of AF accuracy and assistance with manual focusing, I highly recommend the Pentax O-ME35 magnifying eye-cup. Added one to my K3 recently and it helps immensely - that little bit of extra magnification really helps in nailing accurate focus.
04-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yep, I had one on the K-7 but sold it with the camera, I haven't bothered with the K-50 as it's a much better OVF.
04-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shoot RAW so is there any step down in file quality between the 5II and the 50? I have made it this far without focus peaking and I do not use live view so, at the same price point, is the 50 better than a 5II? I am not wed to the body but looking for the best use of the limited funds for a body that will need to last several years.

Last edited by derelict; 04-17-2015 at 02:31 PM.
04-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

I move from K-7 to K-3, and I continue to use my K-7 as 2nd body. The K-3 is a major step forward IMHO and the price are becoming reasonable, especially with the rumours (and forthcoming announcement) of the K-3ii. If you need to upper display (as I do) and were disappointed with the K-5, I strongly recommend to consider the K-3. The high ISO is good. While there are still arguments about K-5ii and K-3 at high ISO, I feel that the K-3 offers much more features than the K-5ii and would be worth to consider.

My 5 cents...
04-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot RAW so is there any step down in file quality between the 5II and the 50? I have made it this far without focus peaking and I do not use live view so, at the same price point, is the 50 better than a 5II? I am not wed to the body but looking for the best use of the limited funds for a body that will need to last several years.
The K-5 II has 14 bit RAW files. the K-50 has 12-bit RAW files like the K-7. I don't think you wold see any difference in the real world.

There is a huge difference in the number of dedicated buttons and switches between the K-5 II and the K-50. If you are ised to the controls on the K-7 you will be much happier with the K-5 or K-5 II.

I'm still not used to the controls on the K-3, but I've only had it a short time.