Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5iis price in Europe

Just checked to see if the K5iis is still available, on Ricoh's German website it's selling for € 949 (1,023 USD) body only. On Ricoh's US site it's priced at 699.95 USD (€ 649).
I realise there is sales tax on the US price, but it's still a massive € 300 (320 USD) price difference.

Any ideas why this is so?

Graham

04-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was selling for $499 in the US shortly before its discontinuation, so that's quite a big gap indeed. The pricing is determined entirely by the distributor in each region...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2grahamb Quote
Just checked to see if the K5iis is still available, on Ricoh's German website it's selling for € 949 (1,023 USD) body only. On Ricoh's US site it's priced at 699.95 USD (€ 649).
I realise there is sales tax on the US price, but it's still a massive € 300 (320 USD) price difference.

Any ideas why this is so?

Graham
Yes, pricing of bodies is quite strange, here in Europe. In our store (in Czech) is K-5IIs for 850 EUR (about $920) - body only, no extra grip or card or anything. On BH or Adormama it was about $490 for body or 530 for body and 64GB SD and Grip - here it will be nice $1200 - so more than twice more!!! Same for K-3 - about $800 with grip (and there was better limited time offers even with flu cards, flashes for little extra ect..) And here it is for body and grip nice $1180 (almost $400 difference). Same with k-50 - $370 with flash and card - and here - oh, really big deal in our stores, its only $600 - sweet.

As I love Pentax for its cameras and lenses, I hate Pentax (Ricoh) for their global pricing. I dont know why is here in europe every body 50%-120% more expensive. And lenses also. No deals or Black Fridays here (yes, here are black fridays in fact, but with discounts about 5-10 bucks on 1000 bucks stuff). So HD 20-40 $670 US and $860 in EU and that it is with everything. So, I have one question for next interwiev with Pentax reps. How about even pricing around the world? And I know, that this question was suggested already in particular thread (and not by me ). And yes, i had asked our local representative - and they politely answered, that they cannot do anything with it, becouse this is decision of global management...

So, long story short. Yes, it is massive diferrence. Yes it is not fair (we in europe haven' grater income then in US and Canada). And why? Becouse they doesen't care much about european market - and prices, that pays distributors in EU are obiviously much higher than in US, so they can't make that big deals and sales.

So, Im on one boat with You, 2grahamb.
04-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Closed Account

€599 in the Netherlands

04-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jannis Quote
As I love Pentax for its cameras and lenses, I hate Pentax (Ricoh) for their global pricing.
Is it only Pentax? Not the same price difference in other brands?
04-19-2015, 02:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Is it only Pentax? Not the same price difference in other brands?
Yes, bur not that big. For example, NIkon D7100 is on BH at $996 and here is $1040 (5%). On Canon 7D MII is diferrence about $200 so about 12%. And Canon and NIkon have both deal and sales here (not right now, but more than every half of year). Deals and sales with Pentax was max about $80, old models are only slightly cheaper than new one - so here is waiting for sellout meanless. And initial pricing is quite incredible too, for better bodies (for k-s1 its quite better). For exapmple, Pentax k-3 body started here at price (with that time exchange rate) $1700. For several years we did't get anything extra with hi end body (max is cheap wired remote with $10 value). I want grip, for example. But here it cost $270. Battery is $75. To be honest, rigt now is deal that add 32GB card and bag... So maybe it will be better next time

It seams, that in US are Pentax bodies clear best "value to price ratio" cameras. But if they want to be competitive here, they must do something with it.
04-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought mine in the US. Even with the taxes I payed 550 € when it was selled (in december) 945 € !

04-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #8

Yes, pricing of bodies is quite strange, here in Europe.
In our store (in Czech) is K-5IIs for 850 EUR (about $920) - body only, no extra grip or card or anything.
Poland:
K-5IIs - 910 euro / 975 US dollar.

Lot of pentaxians is bought gears via ocean...
04-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing that makes life more expensive is the buyer protection (not sure if it is applicable in every European country); somebody has to pay for it and it will not be the manufacturer. Not quite sure what the laws state, but one my assume that a product works properly for e.g. 3 years.
04-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I bought mine in the US. Even with the taxes I payed 550 € when it was selled (in december) 945 € !
QuoteOriginally posted by romeck Quote
Lot of pentaxians is bought gears via ocean...
Yes, but what about warranty? I was very tempted in december to buy k-3 with grip, Flu Card and 18-135 for about $900-1100 (dont remember exactly)- very nice deal Here it was for more than $2000 - so, even with shipping, taxes and duties it is really nice price. But then I realized total lost of warranty and choose to wait to next iterration of Pentax APS-C. What way you deal with warranty and warranty issues?

Couple of years ago there was 1-year international warranty - didn't matter where one bought camera, if it is from official dealer across the world, there was a warranty.
Now? In my country, when it is not bought from local official source, the only one repair centre here even doesn't accept that stuff for repair! (and they told me, that ditributors decided to go this way becouse large portion of cameras bought from US, so they want to prevent it. If prices are about same, this will be no issue at all )

---------- Post added 04-19-15 at 05:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
One thing that makes life more expensive is the buyer protection (not sure if it is applicable in every European country); somebody has to pay for it and it will not be the manufacturer. Not quite sure what the laws state, but one my assume that a product works properly for e.g. 3 years.
In EU is 2-yars warranty by law. So, as I know, one year more than in US. But - really this ONE YEAR costs half of the camera? On BH you can buy extended warranty (3 years total) for $20, so??? BTW: If I need 3 year warranty here, I must for that 1 year more pay about $70.
04-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, but what about warranty? I was very tempted in december to buy k-3 with grip, Flu Card and 18-135 for about $900-1100 (dont remember exactly)- very nice deal Here it was for more than $2000 - so, even with shipping, taxes and duties it is really nice price. But then I realized total lost of warranty and choose to wait to next iterration of Pentax APS-C. What way you deal with warranty and warranty issues?
I suppose I can send it to Pentax in Europe, if not, I must send it back in the US to the seller for warranty...
04-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

729 € in Germany. Body only. Prices go up as stocks are drained though. At the lowest point it was 599 €. And keep in mind the roughly 20% sales tax in Europe (depending on the country) which is included in the price. AFAIK the sales tax is much lower in the US and not mentioned in the price.
04-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
729 € in Germany. Body only. Prices go up as stocks are drained though. At the lowest point it was 599 €. And keep in mind the roughly 20% sales tax in Europe (depending on the country) which is included in the price. AFAIK the sales tax is much lower in the US and not mentioned in the price.
Here it is 850 euro and never be less, only more. And sale tax, you right. Local VAT here is 21%, so without it is $730 (k-5IIs body only) compared to $530 (grip and card included)...Even counting that it is really big difference...
04-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For example, NIkon D7100 is on BH at $996 and here is $1040 (5%). On Canon 7D MII is diferrence about $200 so about 12%.
Here it is 850 euro and never be less, only more. And sale tax, you right. Local VAT here is 21%, so without it is $730 (k-5IIs body only) compared to $530 (grip and card included)...Even counting that it is really big difference...
And I was just starting to think Pentax might not be doomed.
04-20-2015, 12:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

In Europe the prices are all over the place...just do a search for anything RP made on any Amazon site (de/fr/uk) and you'll see price variation between x and 2x easily.

The discrepancy between European and USA prices is not so bad now our currency went down the drain. But having EURUSD at 1.4 and nominal prices in EUR on par or higher than USD ones sucked big time.

To give an example... having FA31 on sale at 750 USD would have put it at 535 EUR. Assume VAT of 20% and that's 645 EUR. Lowest price I saw for a new FA31 in Europe was 990 EUR (average 1100 EUR).