Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5IIs randomly over and under exposes now and then

Just in the last few days I've noticed my K5IIs under and/or overexposing shots now and then. I haven't been able to tie it to a particular lens -- although I am just now using and new (used) FA 31. It seems to be about 2 stops off and I can't figure out why.

When it happens I turn the power off and on, and then it works normally.

Do you think this could be linked to the lens, do I need to set my exposure mode for a pattern rather than spot, other ideas?

Thanks all.

04-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set the camera to M and shoot that way and see if it still happens.
If it does then it is a hardware problem.
Depending on your metering any other mode could vary exposure based on what it sees in the scene.
Post some of the bad pics with exif.
04-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are using spot mode it is quite easy to be off considerably if you are not precise with the spot location.
04-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #4

I've only had a problem on mine if you are shooting something very reflective - like a traffic sign. They toss out way more light than your eye seems to realize and causes things to underexpose. All other cases have been user error so far.

04-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would suggest inspecting the mount for physical issues (the vertical aperture lever which engages the one on the lenses) Also with the lens attached face the front of the camera, set shutter speeds very slow (1", 2" etc) and gradually change the aperture to confirm that the camera stops the lens properly...
04-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It turns I out accidently changed my metering mode from center weighted to spot metering. (JTRAX nailed it)

That made the camera too sensitive to the narrow center of the screen. Now, back on center weighted, with the metering slaved to the spot focus, all is good.

Thanks for the great feedback along the way.

Last edited by TroutHunterJohn; 04-24-2015 at 11:59 AM.
04-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Here is something that happened to me recently.....you can say it is stupid user error, and it is, but I am not stupid......well, don't ask Mrs Rupert if I am.....but I am careless and old. I blame everything on being old...and whatever doesn't fit for that I blame on the damn squirrels.

My cameras live on the Tav setting.....very seldom do I use any other setting. It is perfect for almost everything I shoot. You can adjust the speed and aperture in a split second to match the current need. Shooting in the Woods of Otis the light can change in an instant...and so can your settings with Tav!

I let ISO roam from 200 to 6400...seldom fail to get a useable shot. I can set the speed fast or slow in an instant...aperture too!

Mostly I am shooting in low light, so this assures a shot at a decent speed of 1/200 and a large aperture. It is mostly a little dark in the Woods of Otis. Works well 90% of the time.......just like these I shot yesterday...just picked up the K5IIs with the Bigma mounted, turned it on, pointed and quick focused with a half press and shot.....no need to change any settings...just get the shot.

1/200 F 6.7 (wide open) ISO 1000 chosen by the K5IIs @ 420 mm.

Next quick shot....

Rolled out to the full 500mm...the camera kept the settings but chose ISO 1600.

Now to the point! (I'm trying to keep this short, but you know old Rupert has a hard time keeping anything short! )

Last week we went off to Big Bend in the bright desert country of far west Texas. Still using Tav and the settings I use here daily, I developed a lot of very overexposed shots quickly. The camera was going to the lowest ISO but the speed and aperture were way off for such brilliant light. By the time I realized my problem, I had missed a lot of very nice scenes. The blinking in the viewfinder should have alerted me, and did, but I failed to act on it.

I still got some decent shots but many were only to the thanks of some processing that saved them from the delete button.

Mrs Rupert was shooting in the Auto mode on the Fuji X10 and almost all of her shots were properly exposed....I would have been better off if I had used the Auto mode on my K5IIS!

Mrs Rupert's X10

Bottom line.....check out your settings carefully, think before you shoot....and try to stay young as long as possible...and stay away from squirrels!

Regards!

06-07-2015, 01:29 AM   #8

Not to be a party pooper here but having an EVF eliminates these exposure issues mentioned here. WYSIWYG is quite powerful. But of course an OVF has its own benefits.