Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
Thanks Adam for the useful clarification. Excuse my ignorance but not sure what you mean by "scaled to web resolution"? When I open a K5 file in Photoshop I get an image size of 52.15 x 34.54cm @ 240 dpi. Is this at actual size similar to what you refer to? Or do you mean scaled to 72dpi that if I understand right used to be the maximum reolution a computer screen could handle?
Files are measured in pixels; DPI is exclusively used for printing. So the K-5's native resolution is 4928 x 3264px.

Most screens are at least 1280px wide these days, so 1280x800 (ish) resolution, or a 4x reduction, is what I'd consider web-sized.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Files are measured in pixels; DPI is exclusively used for printing. So the K-5's native resolution is 4928 x 3264px.

Most screens are at least 1280px wide these days, so 1280x800 (ish) resolution, or a 4x reduction, is what I'd consider web-sized.
Thanks now I understand what you mean. My hope is to be able to shoot photos for printing at about A4 size that if I figure right is about 3500x2300 px or three times bigger than that. But maybe the web is what most use their K-5 photos for these days?
04-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You have to let the SR system arm / reset itself. If you don't see the little hand symbol in the VF at the time the shot is captured, it will not be stabilized. This could be one potential cause of the inconsistency.
Thanks Adam for this tip. Until now I didnīt pay much attention to that little green hand (wonder if it belongs to one of Russiaīs little green men?), thinking only that SR was either switched on of off, but have started doing so.

I also attempted a more "scientific" test than I have done before, taking a series of hand-held photos of the same thing at roughly the same distance with the same old Leica-R Elmarit 28mm lens with and without SR at same aperture and 3 different shutter speeds. Pixel peeping at the photos at 100% enlargement in Photoshop the results of this unscientific scientific test confirms SR on my K5 with this lens seems to be working as it should:

No SR @ 1/60th second: good=1, usable=1, no good=3
With SR @ 1/60 second: good=5

No SR @ 1/30th second: good =1, usable=2, no good=2
With SR @ 1/30th second: good = 4, no good=1

No SR @ 1/15th second: usable=1, no good=4
With SR @ 1/15th second: good = 4, usable = 1

So now all I have to do is remember to wait up to 2 seconds each time I half press the button for that little green hand to appear & Bobīs your Uncle :-)
06-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I find that for stills it doesn't make much of a difference, though I usually leave it on regardless... it rarely hurts. However for video it is a HUGE difference, a huge advantage. It is very noticeable, the wobbling is gone, the jittering, the rolling shutter effects. It looks like shot with a much bigger/heavier camera. I like it a lot. But for stills... meh. I can do without. I don't care.

06-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/25 handheld Bigma @310mm SR will get you a decent squirrel shot. Maybe you don't want a squirrel? It will get you a decent bird shot too.

Just in case...you might want a squirrel, I am covered up with them...I could ship you a box to practice with!

Regards!

Forgot: I could GLADLY ship you a box full of them!