Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Just bought used K-5IIs B&H 43 shutter actuations!?

Hi, I Just bought used K-5IIs at a very good price from B&H. They told me it has only 43 shutter actuation's. They couldn't give me any history of the camera other than that. The condition was a 9:Shows signs of use, but very clean. Maybe it's been treated roughly if it shows signs of use with such a low shutter count. I figure it's a return since any Demo model would have a higher count. Does anyone have any other theorys or experiences buying used from B&H? They've been pretty good to me in the past.

05-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It may have had a replacement shutter?
05-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
It may have had a replacement shutter?
Thanks. I hadn't thought of that possibility, but it makes perfect sense.
05-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If it has had a replacement shutter, odds are it was used for timelapses? In which case, it's unlikely the other mechanical components have been hammered too much? (That would be my guess anyway!)

05-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A replacement shutter does sound the most likely explanation. I wonder if Ricoh / Pentax service can provide service history given the serial number? Might be worth asking, if it's of interest to you. Either way, enjoy the camera!
05-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of people buy gear, test it out, then return it.
I don't do that, but people do.

My guess is there is nothing wrong with it, and for the price, if it was good, should offset any discomfort you might have.

If that discomfort is too overwhelming then, 1) There are probably some new K5IIs out there for a premium price 2) The boat has sailed.
05-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd also look closely at where the signs of use are. My friend has a k-3 (just over one year old), it has signs of use, but all surrounding the area where the rings on her fingers meet the rubberised body around the grip. Everywhere else is pretty clean.

It's seen heavy use (about 10,000 clicks), but it has been carefully used. My old k-5 in comparison has seen 3 times the usage, but looks immaculate in comparison (I'm allergic to metal, so don't wear jewellery). I treated that camera moderately badly - let's just say the k-5 can take a pounding!

It could just be an ex-demo. It might have had a shutter replacement. But if it feels solid, takes good photos, it's probably fine!

05-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input!
05-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Thanks everyone for the input!
You were lucky to find one! I got one a short time ago new, and it is a fantastic camera..just amazing! My bet is that it will be perfectly fine! Hope you enjoy to the fullest! B&H is a very reputable dealer, I have done many transactions with them and have always been treated superbly.

Regards!
05-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As others have said,enjoy your new acquisition - and get out there and hammer that shutter!
05-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You were lucky to find one! I got one a short time ago new, and it is a fantastic camera..just amazing! My bet is that it will be perfectly fine! Hope you enjoy to the fullest! B&H is a very reputable dealer, I have done many transactions with them and have always been treated superbly.

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
As others have said,enjoy your new acquisition - and get out there and hammer that shutter!
Thanks for the kind words Rupert and timb64!

Well I got my K-5IIs. I've tested the hell out of it. You were right, I just love it to death, but I have a few interesting things to report. First, when I pulled it out of the box it lit up. The battery was installed and the camera was turned on. Hmm... Although the description said it had some wear I cant find anything even with a magnifying glass. It looks absolutely brand new. It had more than 43 shutter actuations but not a whole lot more than that. I really shouldn't complain. It's a really great camera. Happy.

Last edited by jeff knight; 05-22-2015 at 11:13 AM.