Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pop up flash output control (or lack of it...)

Funny that despite the huge feature list built into the K-5II there are little things which I take for granted coming from Nikon which seem to be missing.

Case in point:

Nikon, you set your flash mode to TTL, Commander, or Manual. Setting manual, you have further option to select flash output as 1 to 1/64. So if you are using a lens which does not give the aperture information back to the camera to support TTL, or simply want to have a fixed flash output for some reason, you have the full range of light output to play with.

With the Pentax K-5, it seems the pop up flash is fixed to max. when engaged with M42 lenses. Basically useless. A small annoyance perhaps, but it is something I use from time to time, and frankly I'd find it more welcome than some of the more esoteric features in the Pentax menus, like the automatic dust detection for example...

05-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
Funny that despite the huge feature list built into the K-5II there are little things which I take for granted coming from Nikon which seem to be missing.

Case in point:

Nikon, you set your flash mode to TTL, Commander, or Manual. Setting manual, you have further option to select flash output as 1 to 1/64. So if you are using a lens which does not give the aperture information back to the camera to support TTL, or simply want to have a fixed flash output for some reason, you have the full range of light output to play with.

With the Pentax K-5, it seems the pop up flash is fixed to max. when engaged with M42 lenses. Basically useless. A small annoyance perhaps, but it is something I use from time to time, and frankly I'd find it more welcome than some of the more esoteric features in the Pentax menus, like the automatic dust detection for example...
A manual flash control setting was added to the K-3 and is also available in the K-S2 and K-S1. So I guess Pentax listened There's also flash exposure compensation on all bodies, including the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can dial back the onboard flash on my K-30, but not sure about in the manual modes you're discussing here.
05-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
flash exposure compensation
That will certainly do the job of reducing on-board flash output on a K-5 II - from -2EV to +1 EV, which may give you 10 steps of EV adjustment in 1/3 EV steps within that range.

It's not the same as the 1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1/1 manual flash output control of the in-built flash in the K-3, but may still be useful.

05-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's also flash exposure compensation on all bodies, including the K-5.
Flash exposure compensation does not work with manual K-mount lenses (and more than likely M42 lenses as OP states) on a K-5. Just tested with FA31LTD. Aperture ring on f/4 and there is no difference in exposure between +1eV and -2eV. Same settings but aperture ring on A and there is a significant difference.