Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Buying used K5

Hi guys,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while and I wanted to ask a question. I saw a used K5 with an 18-55mm WR lens in decent cosmetic condition but working fine. It was $350 but the shutter count was around 57,000. Do you guys think its okay to get even with the high shutter count? For those of you with K5's, what your shutter count at?

06-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matt_lin18 Quote
Hi guys,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while and I wanted to ask a question. I saw a used K5 with an 18-55mm WR lens in decent cosmetic condition but working fine. It was $350 but the shutter count was around 57,000. Do you guys think its okay to get even with the high shutter count? For those of you with K5's, what your shutter count at?
I'd definitely be more comfortable with one with a lower shutter count. The shutter is officially rated for 100000 actuations but things can easily break before then. For a body with that kind of mileage (w/o lens), you should be paying somewhere in the low $200's.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd definitely be more comfortable with one with a lower shutter count. The shutter is officially rated for 100000 actuations but things can easily break before then. For a body with that kind of mileage (w/o lens), you should be paying somewhere in the low $200's.
They're looking to sell the body + original accessories for $300, but $350 with the 18-15mm WR. If the shutter does happen to break before the rated 100k, will Pentax replace it? I know Nikon commonly replaces shutters if they die before their rated count.
06-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They're looking to sell the body + original accessories for $300, but $350 with the 18-15mm WR. If the shutter does happen to break before the rated 100k, will Pentax replace it? I know Nikon commonly replaces shutters if they die before their rated count.
Only if the camera is still under warranty, which is most likely not the case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Only if the camera is still under warranty, which is most likely not the case.
Okay thanks Adam! I will look around the marketplace on this forum and see if I can find something better.
06-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi guys,

Hi, I'm from the UK and explore E-bay quite frequently for bargains. My experience is that you can get a K-511 with a low shutter count [below 5k] for aprox £350 [$530]. and I would suggest that is the better option, especially if you can get the 's' version [that is without the anti-aliasing filter which makes the image super sharp].
06-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
Brooke Meyer

Hi guys,

Just an FYI. when K5IIs prices dropped about 18 months ago, bought two. Then sold one of my K5's with about 100K shutter count for $290 on eBay. Kept the other as a backup, has 122K on it. My working bodies now both have about 64K each.

06-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi guys,

I've owned my K5 since 2011 and am a reasonably active shooter, I do own other bodies too but for 3 of those years my K5 was my primary camera. My shutter count is in the mid 20,000's I believe. I'll bow to others here but 57,000 activations doesn't worry me too much.
06-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've got a used K-5 for sale with only ~13k shutter actuations on it. If you're interested, it's here on the Markeplace. The only reason I'm selling it, is that I got a good deal on a K-5IIs, and I don't need 2 bodies. (Read: I need to pay for my K-5IIs...)

I'm willing to entertain any reasonable offers, and my price isn't all that much higher than $350, if you only want the camera without the telephoto lens.

---------- Post added Jun 4th, 2015 at 12:16 ----------

P.S. If you're looking for a WR lens to go with it, I've got a HD 55-300 WR lens that I'll probably be adding to the marketplace sometime soon.
06-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
I've got a used K-5 for sale with only ~13k shutter actuations on it. If you're interested, it's here on the Markeplace. The only reason I'm selling it, is that I got a good deal on a K-5IIs, and I don't need 2 bodies. (Read: I need to pay for my K-5IIs...)

I'm willing to entertain any reasonable offers, and my price isn't all that much higher than $350, if you only want the camera without the telephoto lens.

---------- Post added Jun 4th, 2015 at 12:16 ----------

P.S. If you're looking for a WR lens to go with it, I've got a HD 55-300 WR lens that I'll probably be adding to the marketplace sometime soon.
Thanks! I looked at the entire marketplace for any K5's lying around and I saw your listing as well. I'm not terribly interested in the 50mm lens but would rather prefer the 35mm. I saw another K5 + 18-55mm WR practically new with 5k shutter for $425 as well. I also saw another K5 on these forums that was similar to the one mentioned in the original post. It's has 55k shutter versus the 57k shutter, but it's also $100 cheaper. So if I can, I may pick up the 55k shutter one and buy a 35mm f2.4 and the 18-135mm WR to go with it. May also get a Yongnuo 560 III flash and I'll be pretty happy for a while.

---------- Post added 06-04-15 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I've owned my K5 since 2011 and am a reasonably active shooter, I do own other bodies too but for 3 of those years my K5 was my primary camera. My shutter count is in the mid 20,000's I believe. I'll bow to others here but 57,000 activations doesn't worry me too much.
Thank you for the advice. I couldn't find much information online about how long the K5 shutter lasts in the real world. That one site that gives information about user reported shutter life reported that most K5's die within the 40-60k range. There wasn't a lot of submissions, making it less accurate.
06-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting.
07-26-2015, 03:50 AM   #12

Hi.
Just would like to say just checked with PhotoMe - My K-5 shutter count on my body > 128.000 (photo from May) and all still alive.
I used to make few interval shootings like 12.000 every 1 sec during Panama Canal passage to create fast speed movie (by the way fantastic effect). The only I may say the shutter is just more noisy and with metallic sound then new one. I hope to make few thousand shots more :-)
07-27-2015, 12:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darmuszka Quote
Hi.
Just would like to say just checked with PhotoMe - My K-5 shutter count on my body > 128.000 (photo from May) and all still alive.
I used to make few interval shootings like 12.000 every 1 sec during Panama Canal passage to create fast speed movie (by the way fantastic effect). The only I may say the shutter is just more noisy and with metallic sound then new one. I hope to make few thousand shots more :-)
Thanks for the info! I did end up grabbing a used K5 at about 45k shutter. It's at around 50k now. Shutter does seem noisy and feels springy. I only picked it up for $230 so it wasn't a large investment, I spent 4x more on lenses already. I wouldn't be too horrified if the shutter on this thing breaks, it's already served me very well for the couple months I've had it.