Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rare diaphragm motor bug? Motor may keep buzzing under certain unusual circumstances

I've discovered a rare but potentially serious bug on my K-5. It can happen randomly, but can be consistently reproduced with a specific sequence of steps:
  1. Partially dismount the lens (release and rotate it slightly but do not remove completely).
  2. Turn the mode dial to the Movie position.
  3. Start movie recording.
  4. Fully mount the lens. The camera will detect a lens change and stop movie recording.

The camera then drops out of Live View and a continuous buzzing noise, possibly with some clicking, is audible. The camera locks up until the lens is dismounted (partially or completely) or the battery is removed.

The alarming part of this is that the area of the camera body closest to the diaphragm motor, the protrusion from the lens mount below the AF assist lamp near the main handgrip, can get hot if this is left unchecked. I'm afraid this behavior could damage the diaphragm control mechanism or overheat the diaphragm motor.

Is anyone else able to reproduce this behavior? Why might this be happening?

—DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 06-23-2015 at 06:52 PM.
06-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it happens if the drive shaft isn't properly engaged. Can sometimes happen after mounting a lens; wiggling it a bit seems to help.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet it's the focus motor like Adam said. I got that when I mounted my 18-55 with an extension tube. The contacts on the tube told the camera that the lens is AF and since I had the camera set to AF, the motor was trying to make focusing happen. Quite noisy.
06-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Definitely not the in-body AF motor. It's the diaphragm motor, which is much quieter. If it were the AF motor, it would be the area near the AF switch that's getting hot, not the bulge below the AF assist lamp.

—DragonLord

06-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One reason why I always turn off the camera power when changing lenses. Other reason is that charged sensor attracts dust.
06-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
One reason why I always turn off the camera power when changing lenses. Other reason is that charged sensor attracts dust.
jpinpg is correct.

Advice (both written and unwritten) is that you should ALWAYS turn the camera off when changing lenses, changing cards, removing batteries or removing grip etc. It is much safer and avoids possible hardware problems or funnies or card or software corruption.