Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

I think I get it, but want to make sure - SEL focus points

So I need to nail this down, and I think it's because I'm in AF-C mode.

K5iis

So I'm taking pictures of a subject (human, and the move around a bit), i've selected SEL and used a different then center focus point. I notice that sometimes other focus points will highlight (I've switched it over to use the rear AF button, no shutter focus) when pressing the focus button.

I thought continuous would be appropriate because my subject moves, but I'm guessing in SEL it picks up the other focus points because of better contrast? at any rate, I find later on that my focus points on my computer are not the ones I thought I had - like I'm using the top most point in portrait and i find it focused on something lower.

Should I go back to AF.S for this, or is there a way to keep it from using other points while in AF.C - babies and little kids move that I figure focusing center and recomposing i might loose the focus if they move.

Thanks in advance...

07-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the same camera and have the same issues. I don't think it is you or the settings. Pentax does not focus well when the subject is moving toward you.

I would love to be corrected on this.
07-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jmerchant Quote
So I need to nail this down, and I think it's because I'm in AF-C mode.

K5iis

So I'm taking pictures of a subject (human, and the move around a bit), i've selected SEL and used a different then center focus point. I notice that sometimes other focus points will highlight (I've switched it over to use the rear AF button, no shutter focus) when pressing the focus button.

I thought continuous would be appropriate because my subject moves, but I'm guessing in SEL it picks up the other focus points because of better contrast? at any rate, I find later on that my focus points on my computer are not the ones I thought I had - like I'm using the top most point in portrait and i find it focused on something lower.

Should I go back to AF.S for this, or is there a way to keep it from using other points while in AF.C - babies and little kids move that I figure focusing center and recomposing i might loose the focus if they move.

Thanks in advance...
Take it out of expanded area af.
07-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Take it out of expanded area af.
Thanks!

Should I be aware of any downsides to this?

07-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmerchant Quote
Thanks!

Should I be aware of any downsides to this?
Yes, if the subject moves outside the selected focus point, it will no longer track. It is only using that single focus point to track now.
07-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Yes, if the subject moves outside the selected focus point, it will no longer track. It is only using that single focus point to track now.
Well right, it's like using the center focus (not SEL) and the subject moves their arms or body or whatever...i'm focused on an eye and i want to keep that eye in focus. Now if they move their face down and it's below my focus point that is a problem...but that's a recompose/refocus (and a big movement ), I just don't want it picking up somewhere else - only the focus point i choose, like center focus does [ - ]
07-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you are shooting everything wide open, focus and recompose using the center point should not throw everything out of focus. Letting the camera pick the focus points for you causes nothing but trouble, frustration and disappointment, in my experience and opinion.

I've been shooting Pentax for over six years and have ALWAYS used the center point, then recomposed when necessary. If you tend to crop most of your shots, as I do, messing with the focus points seems a waste of time.

07-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Unless you are shooting everything wide open, focus and recompose using the center point should not throw everything out of focus. Letting the camera pick the focus points for you causes nothing but trouble, frustration and disappointment, in my experience and opinion.

I've been shooting Pentax for over six years and have ALWAYS used the center point, then recomposed when necessary. If you tend to crop most of your shots, as I do, messing with the focus points seems a waste of time.
So you disagree with someone (can't remember who or where on this board) who said that center-point focus then recompose "moved the plane of focus"? (I usually try to twist or tilt if hand-held.)
07-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
center-point focus then recompose "moved the plane of focus"?
It does, but it is more significant at closer distances. And of course it depends on what you focus on first.
07-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #10

I want my 110 again. It had a flash bar. You flipped it over after the first 5 shots. If you were inside, you used it. If you were outside, you didn't. It had a button and a winder-wheel. You could get ASA 100 film if it was really sunny or ASA 400 film if it wasn't. My pictures never looked any good then (I was 12), but they don't now and I'm actually trying with much more expensiver stuff. Photography is too hard.