Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tarted Up My K5II & The World Didn't End, LOL

I got tired of basic black, sue me...

Yes, it's all removable, IF and whenever I want to. I didn't do any crystals for now. It's too humid for the glue to work well and I'm not feeling up to the challenge at the moment. The rubber rings on my K mount Chinons are rather ugly. I really don't like them. The other day I got to thinking about changing them all up using some thin leatherette, some decorative craft tape or waxed craft paper and last night I decided to try it with some craft paper that was striped like a zebra lens. My favorite 2" strap the Capturing Couture Rocker the one I use the most with the K5II is also white and black striped so this time I pretty much had that in mind.

Craft tape and paper, scissors, some little red glitter letters, that was all I used. I like the way it came out though. It's fun and will look great with the strap and my red camera bag. The lens has a 49mm thread so I can use this decorated cap on any number of my smaller prime lenses though I might make one with the black polka dot paper in 52mm just to have one that size that matches too. Sorry the pics are so dark. I took them at like 4 AM I think. I will do better ones later with the CC strap on. The wax paper grips pretty well actually. It has a bit more texture than the tape. That was too smooth. I tried it but I liked the feel of the waxed scrapbook paper better in the end. It was like using leatherette pretty much.

Attached Images

Last edited by magkelly; 07-16-2015 at 05:00 AM.
07-16-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is actually camouflage.

Alternatively, needs more sequins.
07-16-2015, 04:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
This is actually camouflage.

Alternatively, needs more sequins.
More? Here I thought I'd make everybody happier by using less bling for once...

Actually you could do camo probably if you wanted to have that and not actually paint your camera. I've seen craft tape like that in the scrapbooking section at Michael's. I think they make a decorative duct tape that looks like it too, but that's awfully wide. You'd end up cutting it a lot. I did some, to get it to fit around some things. It was near impossible to use it on the grip parts sans wrinkling so I really didn't try to do that. You do have to be very watchful of where you put it. The first attempt I managed to tape down the flash. Not real swift that, cough, blush. I had to pull it all off and start over with the flash up.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-16-2015 at 04:56 AM.
07-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if some Pentax cameras are going to be offered in varying colors, perhaps Ricoh should start offering detailing kits. Tape up your camera in a) stars and stripes, b) camo, c) sports teams, d) graduation symbols. Might sell.

07-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually agree with JinDesu - needs more bling. Why not go big and over the top?

The polka dots look kinda cool - how durable will it be after being handled for a while?
07-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is my main work camera. I still need it to be very usable ergonomically speaking. It's just not the right time of year here to be messing with crystals. I have perpetual migraines and major pain otherwise this time of year. I don't think I could physically handle doing the bling thing right now. Messing with tons of tiny crystals would likely put me in the hospital, plus nothing dries right when it's this hot and humid. It should be fairly durable but if it doesn't last forever that's no big deal as craft tape and craft papers I have plenty of.

In case you haven't noticed I'm a Craft Queen. I'm always doing some craft project or another. I usually have tons of supplies. I do some scrapbooking and stamping so I didn't have to hit the store to do this. This was done just using stuff I already had handy. I might change it out just to change it out every few months. I get bored easily. I like to redecorate a lot, laugh.

The tape is plastic, so pretty good wear potential there, and the paper is sealed for scrapbook use. It's got a waxy texture to it. It's laminated almost and feels a little gritty to the touch, so it's probably okay for a good while too, but if I have to replace the inside of the lens cap now and again no big deal. I've got like 25 pages of that paper and it took me practically nothing to do this. If I hadn't messed up with the tape the first time it would have taken me all of 1/2 hour. Mostly it was just a question of measuring and trimming things.

If you all want to try this most Targets and Walmarts carry the wide decorative duct tapes. Most craft stores carry the thinner decorative tapes. You want the type that's made of plastic for this, not just the paper ones that are for scrapbook use. The paper stuff would not last long on a camera. This stuff it peels off very easily and did not make a mark on the K5II. The only problem I had was getting it to fit well on curved parts sans wrinkles. It just did not work at all. You have to pay attention to the lines on the camera and cut the tape at an angle to fit sometimes. On a DSLR I think covering the whole thing would be tricky, but on a M43 camera like a Olympus Pen or something like an old SLR, a camera with mostly straight lines I think you could pretty much do whatever you wanted.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-16-2015 at 08:34 AM.
07-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need some LED dots.
http://www.amazon.com/PARTY-DOTS-Assorted-Stick-Light/dp/B006ZN1XD4

glow bracelets?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00030DEZA?psc=1

07-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #8

Yes, it needs the much maligned "disco lights" from the K-S1!
07-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, it needs the much maligned "disco lights" from the K-S1!
Uh NO.. :P