Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 12:24 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I just made the switch from Kr to K5, picked up a nice well looked after unit secondhand from someone who had switched to Canon. So far a very noticeable step up from the Kr which I did buy new and always considered to be a fine camera. The K5 just seems to make doing nice stuff easier. I feel it just fits me, where as with the Kr I had to work at it? I can't really explain it any other way. So enjoy, I know you'll like it!

10-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been shooting with it for a few weeks, now, and love it. I shoot RAW (DNG), so are the shadow/highlight/Distortion/Chromatic correction functions not useful? Or are they just slower? I have lightroom so I can adjust a lot of things, but it's nice to have assistance from the camera, too, if it's useful. I tend to not shoot in bursts, anyhow, so slower processing doesn;t bother me much if I'm getting something out of it!
10-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK none of the corrections are done in RAW, only jpg. Maybe there are a couple, but I cant think of them.
You can always shoot RAW+JPG with what you think are good settings so you can keep the jpg if you like it. I stopped doing that a while ago, though since I would just process in Lightroom anyway.
10-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
AFAIK none of the corrections are done in RAW, only jpg. Maybe there are a couple, but I cant think of them.
You can always shoot RAW+JPG with what you think are good settings so you can keep the jpg if you like it. I stopped doing that a while ago, though since I would just process in Lightroom anyway.
K, I kinda figured as much. I'm only doing RAW these days unless I decide to do in-camera HDR.

---------- Post added 10-05-15 at 03:59 PM ----------

I was a little confused though because they are available in RAW-only mode, and the camera disables JPEG features in RAW mode.

10-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #20
Pentaxian

It will write the corrections to the RAW file, but likely only the Pentax software will do anything with that data...
10-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot Raw+Jpeg....SD cards are cheap and many times the Jpegs are plenty good...sometimes better than my abilities at processing the Raw file. Doesn't cost anything, and you will often be surprised at how well the K5 can process a Jpeg.

I am about to ship my old K5 to a new PF owner...or to his daughter. It has been a wonderful and fulfilling camera, my new K5IIs is only marginally better and then, only in a few minor areas. You should experience much pleasure from your K5 for a long time to come! It is a wonderful camera!

My last two shots with the K5 to check it out before shipping.....

Regards & Happy shooting!