Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

Disable red timer led's

Hi everyone!

Is there a way to disable the timer/rc led’s from flashing on the K5? It’s just too bright and intrusive for my liking, especially at night. I’m using the rc a lot so tape is not a good solution for me.

I haven’t been able to find anything on this anywhere i’ve looked - including this place. So here i am. First post..

Also. Thanks for all the great help i’ve got from this place in the past, as a lurker.

K5 Sauron Eye Must Die!

09-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pelle Quote
Hi everyone!

Is there a way to disable the timer/rc led’s from flashing on the K5? It’s just too bright and intrusive for my liking, especially at night. I’m using the rc a lot so tape is not a good solution for me.

I haven’t been able to find anything on this anywhere i’ve looked - including this place. So here i am. First post..

Also. Thanks for all the great help i’ve got from this place in the past, as a lurker.

K5 Sauron Eye Must Die!
AFAIK you can't disable it via the menu. If you dare I guess you could disconnect the wiring...unless that would also disable the IR sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK you can't disable it via the menu. If you dare I guess you could disconnect the wiring...unless that would also disable the IR sensor.
I was thinking of cutting the pins of the led but i too am not sure of what consequences might follow. Nobody jailbreaking cameras?
09-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

Gaffers tape and a wireless remote. The Vello Freewave Remote at B&H works well. RF is much more useful than IR.

09-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Pelle Quote
I was thinking of cutting the pins of the led but i too am not sure of what consequences might follow. Nobody jailbreaking cameras?
I don't think very many people do since it would void the warranty, but I doubt that it would cause any issues if you just disable the LED.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Gaffers tape and a wireless remote. The Vello Freewave Remote at B&H works well. RF is much more useful than IR.
Thanks Brooke! That could actually work for me. Don’t really want extra gear but i sure beats the risk of a defect camera. I got old grd’s that let me disable/enable/tweak almost everything, so i know they can make it right. Frustrating.

---------- Post added 2015-09-15 at 01:42 ----------

That's what i want to hear! Warranty schmarranty, just convince me it'll be fine!

---------- Post added 2015-09-15 at 01:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think very many people do since it would void the warranty, but I doubt that it would cause any issues if you just disable the LED.
That's what i want to hear! Warranty schmarranty, just convince me it'll be fine!
09-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #7

Doesn't the K-S1 let you turn off the self-timer lights?

09-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Tape or wired remote?

Steve
09-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you thought about taping a dark red or IR lighting gel over the red window?

That would greatly darken the LED display while still allowing the IR signal from the remote to pass. Large 2'x2' lighting gel sheets are about $6. A set of 2"x2" samples about $5.
09-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Have you thought about taping a dark red or IR lighting gel over the red window?

That would greatly darken the LED display while still allowing the IR signal from the remote to pass. Large 2'x2' lighting gel sheets are about $6. A set of 2"x2" samples about $5.
No, i have never thought of IR lighting gel. What is it and how do you tape a gel?
09-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lighting gels are 2'x2' colored, transparent, flexible, heat resistant, cellophane like plastic sheets that are placed in front of lights for color correction or mood lighting. They are sold in hundreds of colors at high end camera stores and movie supply houses.

Buy either the proper color sheet or a $5 sample book and cut out, with household scissors, a 1"x1" piece and tape it around the edges in front of the IR / LED window with gaffers tape. It is the cheapest, quickest, and least invasive way of solving your issue.

I use lighting gels all the time to darken the RF patch on my old RF cameras. I have several orange, amber, and yellow sheets cut up into various parts now.

If you are in L.A., you an buy a book of samples at the checkout station at Filmtools in Burbank for $1. At least you could a couple of years ago.

Try this from adorama for less than $3. You'll find something in here that will work perfectly.
Rosco Cinegel 1.5" X 3.25" Swatchbook 950SBCNG0103
09-16-2015, 02:17 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Lighting gels are 2'x2' colored, transparent, flexible, heat resistant, cellophane like plastic sheets that are placed in front of lights for color correction or mood lighting. They are sold in hundreds of colors at high end camera stores and movie supply houses.

Buy either the proper color sheet or a $5 sample book and cut out, with household scissors, a 1"x1" piece and tape it around the edges in front of the IR / LED window with gaffers tape. It is the cheapest, quickest, and least invasive way of solving your issue.

I use lighting gels all the time to darken the RF patch on my old RF cameras. I have several orange, amber, and yellow sheets cut up into various parts now.

If you are in L.A., you an buy a book of samples at the checkout station at Filmtools in Burbank for $1. At least you could a couple of years ago.

Try this from adorama for less than $3. You'll find something in here that will work perfectly.
Rosco Cinegel 1.5" X 3.25" Swatchbook 950SBCNG0103
Oh, now i get it. Thanks. The gel part confused me. Language barrier. I don’t know what we call those sheets over here, but i don’t think ”gel” part of the name I live in Sweden, by the way, and at the moment i’m far far away from any stores of that kind. Sounds like it could be a good enough solution though. I will look into it! Eventually, i might go for the surgery and just cut the LEDs anyway. I can’t see myself ever needing them. I feel the indication on the top display is enough. I really hope future products/firmware (e.g. the full frame) will include options to disabling things like this.

Thanks again for your help! And thank you to everyone who replied! You’ve been very helpful to me.